Latest post Tue, Jul 12 2011 1:49 PM by elbows. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 31 2009 9:42 PM

• Mike Browning
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 31 2009
    • Golden Isles, GA
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Alesis io 14 causing problems...

Hi, thanks for reading... first time poster on these forums.

I have been using Media Composer for a few years now but just recently started using it (software only) on Mac OSX. I am running 2.8 on Tiger 10.4.11. I kept having problems with it crashing when I tried to exit. I would hit close and then it would give me an error message:

"Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

I browsed the boards for answers on this, but couldn't find one that related to me. It had nothing to do with a particular project - just happens all across the board. So I started unplugging devices and trying MC again... finally I determined that my Alesis io14, which I use to record and monitor audio, seemed to cause the problem. This is a firewire device that hasn't caused me any issues before. I noticed other conflicts with the device and Avid as well: playback stuttering and then lock-ups whenever audio scrubbing was enabled. So I usually just unplugged it and used headphones directly from the computer.

My question, then, is whether others have run into a similar scenario and if there is a work around to getting to monitor audio again? I'm wondering whether it's the device itself or the fact it's on the firewire bus - if I got a different audio i/o device, do you think it would still present the same problems?

Thanks,

Mike Browning

System: Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66ghz Mac OSX 10.4.11 6 GB RAM Decklink HD Extreme 2 Sony HD video monitor Alesis io14 + Yorkville monitors Lacie... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 11 2011 2:30 PM In reply to

• elbows
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 11 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 17
    • Points 185

Re: Alesis io 14 causing problems...

Sorry, not a solution, just similar issues. I'm pretty new to Meda Composer...in fact today's my first day! I use an Alesis io 26 Firewire as my audio in/out and yep, I've noticed that Avid seems to hate having it plugged in. Did you ever find a solution or is this hardware just not compatible? Monitoring via the headphone jack seems like a less than perfect solution and besides I'm also going to want to get sound in at some point too.

Thanks.

(I'm on a Macbook Pro OS X 10.6.8 with MC 5.5.2)

MC 7.03 on MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 11 2011 8:29 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Avid doesn't support external firewire audio devices outside of Mojo or Adrenaline hardware.  Best to disconnect the device and use the built in audio outputs on your CPU to feed speakers, a mixer and/or headphones.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Jul 12 2011 1:49 PM In reply to

• elbows
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 11 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 17
    • Points 185

Thanks for your reply. It actually seems to work now - bar (as with the previous poster) causing the software to crash on quitting. Other than my window layouts everything else seems to survive the crash so it'll probably do till I can get some supported hardware...

MC 7.03 on MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller