Latest post Mon, Nov 3 2014 9:13 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 38 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 22 2009 3:05 AM In reply to

Re: Firewire Capture NEEDS to be Improved

BobbyMurcerFan:
    It's like the app was written before Windows 3.1 was released

It was.  It was also originally written for Mac OS and much of it's behavior is reminiscent of that. 

There was no right-click per se in Mac OS until recently, herego... limited functionality in MC. 

MC is capable of running on Mac and Windows, so what you may be expecting from a Windows POV may not fly in a Mac world, so there is also that consideration that needs to be made.  I think that the sooner one understands that Avid is a "rogue" and has not yet been assimilated into any particular OS's way of life the easier it is to adapt to it.  I've used other software that behaves that way as well... is it slightly annoying that things we've been trained on from other Windows/Mac apps don't function the way we're expecting? sure, but then after awhile you just used to the way it works "in Avid" apart from the OS.

Just like how the high/low beam switcher is different between my two cars.  One acts like a toggle - pull it back to engage, pull it back to disengage.  The other is a flat out "switch" - push forward to engage, pull back to disengage.  Both cars were made in Japan.  Shouldn't they both behave the same way?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Apr 22 2009 5:28 AM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

BobbyMurcerFan:
    It's like the app was written before Windows 3.1 was released

It was.  It was also originally written for Mac OS and much of it's behavior is reminiscent of that. 

There was no right-click per se in Mac OS until recently, herego... limited functionality in MC. 

Kenton,

Now you know what I'm referring to when I say "archaic." Stick out tongue

But this has little to do with seeing Avid as a rouge and a lot to do with Avid not making some pretty rudimentary fixes to keep its interface modern. Surely MC can remain platform agnostic and keep the timeline playing when the volume level is changed, or resize windows automatically, and so on.

What I don't think you appreciate enough is that Avid needs to sell to the FCP, Premiere, Vegas users to be profitable and stay relevant. I'm not talking about watering down the system or dumbing it down in anyway or making dramatic changes. The overhauls Microsoft gave Office in version 2007 is a prime example of what NOT to do.

I'm talking about removing the kludgeiness, which will make it more effective for all of us. And, yes, especially for the first time user. But Avid needs that user. It's all about fit and finish and initial impressions for that person. I gather that you don't use prosumer editing apps much. Well I do, and I have to say that Avid's most basic operations in things like windows management is lacking.

Perhaps you don't appreciate the need for these changes, but I'm sure you appreciate the need for Avid to sell more copies of MC and take away market share from FCP, Premiere, et al. To do that, MC is going to need an interface that performs basic operation in a more modern fashion. The revenue from selling more copies can be used to create features more advanced users might want.

I'm sorry to say it, but just catering to the top tier has been a recipe for disaster for Avid. Its sales, market share and stock price all say as much. You just can't ignore this.

That said, Avid would be foolish to under serve the top of the market. And yet that's exactly what they are doing with a product like Symphony. In the finishing world, I've heard Symphony called "Phony." It needs a lot of features, that the top end demands, to make it "real" finishing system, instead just a significantly better one than MC is.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Apr 22 2009 2:51 PM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:
    I gather that you don't use prosumer editing apps much.

I guess that's the difference between us.   

As for your argument about keeping Avid fresh and welcoming to this vast market of people who (IMO) have proven they mostly do NOT invest a lot of money into their NLE choices, what makes you think that any interface change at all to make it more "familiar" is going to get the majority to switch when most people are looking at the price tag first?

I know people who use Vegas because it's cheaper, point blank.  There are people who use Premiere for the same reason. 

I've never paid more than $15 for a haircut, I'm not going to suddenly start going to a new expensive salon just because they have magazines that I like to read.  To me, the true "prosumer" is all about using the tools that they feel have justifiable costs of investment, most of the people I know that are in that market are never going to purchase Avid regardless of what the interface is like or what it can do.  

Just this past week, I was trying to help out a guy who had gotten himself double-booked for a day next week.  He wanted to know if I could take one of the bookings.  It was for a Dance Recital event, which I don't normally do any "event video", I contacted a guy I know who is a very good cameraman to do the shoot and I was going to take the editing.  My camera guy gave me a quote of $2150 for one camera and an audio person.  More cameras = more money.  To do it right, I estimated that we would need 3 cameras - possibly could get away with just two.  But, then I found out that the audio was going to be from a live band.  This would require proper mics and placement to get decent audio.  More money.  Then, I figured probably a day or two in Post slicing and dicing it up, adding titles between dancers, etc and then creating a DVD master.  They wanted 30-40 copies - so I would have to contact a Duplicator.  The kicker was that the "client" wanted us to just be paid from the DVD sales.  I said that there was no way that our expenses would be covered even if we sold them at $50/disc.  And the price I had quoted her was very reasonable for the professional quality product she would've ended up with.  

Instead, I got an email yesterday saying that she was going to go with another person who could do the whole job for $600.  So, that's 6 hours of shooting (4 hours of event and 1 hr each to set up and tear down) plus two days of editing and duplication for $600?! More power to you whoever got that gig.  

My point to that whole story is that the guy charging $600 for the kit and kaboodle is NEVER going to use Avid Media Composer as his NLE of choice simply because he's not going to be able to cover the $2500 investment.  He's probably going to use a Handycam and Pinnacle Studio.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Dec 15 2011 6:19 AM In reply to

Hi,

It's been a long time dialog. Any news form MC6?

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Thu, Dec 15 2011 6:23 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

tikboy:

Hi,

It's been a long time dialog. Any news form MC6?

As earlier, it works with fresh tapes, it will not fix old broken tapes for you.

Whats been improved is that you now can use, fe a matrox unit to capture those bad tapes.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Dec 16 2011 3:09 AM In reply to

I think blaming "bad tapes" is hardly accurate. Esp. if I deselect TC, MC should capture like every other program captures.

But I'm done beating the drum on this one.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Dec 17 2011 1:38 PM In reply to

yup, even with fresh/good tapes. In fact (mentioned earlier/somewhere), we're wondering why a simple,free application like HDVsplit easily does the job smoothly on the same tape! ------------ http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm
    Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

Filed under: , ,
  • Sat, Dec 17 2011 1:47 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

tikboy:
    yup, even with fresh/good tapes. In fact (mentioned earlier/somewhere), we're wondering why a simple,free application like HDVsplit easily does the job smoothly on the same tape! ------------ http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

I think that we all have seen the posts asking why the errored files captured in HDV split from those errored tapes not will import into Media Composer

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Nov 3 2014 9:13 AM In reply to

Hello! Has it improved?

--

Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller