Latest post Mon, May 18 2009 2:37 AM by handcutfilms. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 17 2009 1:52 AM

• handcutfilms
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 17 2009
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

Auto-conform/KK Track back of Film Sequence

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction to auto-conform a sequence shot on film. For a primer on my project, it was shot on Super 16mm, then transferred to DVCAM for offline editing. When we got to the rough cut stage, we sent an EDL to the lab, which they used to transfer the film to HDSR, then sent us new DVCAM dupes (of the HDSR masters) and ALE files.

In that down-time however, waiting for the new transfers, we had to continue editing the film with the old footage, and so the sequence is considerably different than the one we used for the EDL. To make the EDL, we were unable to use an EDL Manager, so resorted to decomposing the sequence and sending a tab-delimited text file with all our clip information (KN Start, KN End, KN Duration, etc.). It did the job.

Now we have digitized all the new DVCAM masters, and need to get the new footage to match up with our sequence. This is where I'm stuck. The Lab says to do a "KK Track back." Unfortunately this project has no post supervisor or tech support, as it's a low budget feature, so I'm really hoping someone here can help.

In a perfect world, which I'm guessing this is not, I could highlight the sequence and 'Batch Import' offline media according to KN numbers, but something tells me it's not that simple. Thanks very much for your time and support.

Cheers,

Eliot Piltz
    Film Editor

Avid MC 3.5
    Mac Pro - Dual Quad-Core
    OS X 10.5.4(?)

Hardware: Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, 6 GB memory, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT; Software: OS X 10.5.5, Avid MC 3.5.0, EDL Manager 25.0.0 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Sun, May 17 2009 9:18 AM In reply to

Re: Auto-conform/KK Track back of Film Sequence

I've never done it myself, but I'd definitely check out the Relink funtion, which allows you to relink (a sequence) based on KeyKode rather than timecode. You would need to have accurate logs for the DVCAM tapes (I assume you already have those) as well as for the HDSR tapes.

It's under Clip-Relink. Then choose the method by which you need to relink. You would need to bring in at least the logs for the HDSR tapes.

Whatever you do, relink only copies or decomposed copies of the original sequence. You want to keep your original DV sequence for cross-referencing sync. I have nearly never experienced flawless conforms of any offline on any system, so I've grown the habit to do a shot-by-shot eyematching check between offline and conform.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 17 2009 3:10 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

• Mon, May 18 2009 2:37 AM In reply to

• handcutfilms
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 17 2009
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

Thank you so much, guys! Really appreciate it. Michael, I followed your instructions, and got it all done without a hitch. What a smooth process, when you know what to do. Thanks again.

Eliot

Hardware: Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, 6 GB memory, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT; Software: OS X 10.5.5, Avid MC 3.5.0, EDL Manager 25.0.0 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller