Latest post Wed, May 20 2009 3:25 AM by Marianna. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 18 2009 11:20 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,894
    • Points 214,145
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

SD and HD on the same Timeline

There have been a number of debates on the MC-PC Forum over the past few months on how to get SD and HD to co-exist on the same timeline - with good quality.

At one point in the process you have to decide whether to try and letterbox the HD material into the SD's 4:3 format, or Put the SD clips on an HD 16:9 ratio screen with sidebars.

To get the maximum quality possible for both formats with the minimum of effort I have found that the workflow described in this Tutorial works extremely well for me. There is no need to involve oneself in uprezzing or downrezzing. No waiting for renders.

After I have a finished project I then follow the workflow I have described in my Tutorial series on AMC to DVDitPro going direct to AvidDVD as a QT-reference file, and finally to a DVD (or even Blu-Ray).

Although this Tutorial may show a different approach to this topic than you would take,  I hope you at least consider the possibilities.

Regards,
    Douglas

This tutorial can be viewed at "Full-screen" by clicking on the icon on the toolbar

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, May 20 2009 2:34 AM In reply to

• Hoh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 23 2005
    • Ohio
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,395

Re: SD and HD on the same Timeline

Great tutorial, Douglas.  Thanks for going through the process on that one. 

Is it true that you would do an HD mixdown regardless of your final output (SD DVD or HD Blu-ray Disc)?  I just wanted to confirm that.

Thanks for posting this!

-Darin

(1): Media Composer 8.9.2 ∙ Windows 7 Pro ∙ HP Z840 Xeon E5-2620 v3 2.4GHz ∙ 32GB RAM HP Samsung DDR4 2133 ∙ NVIDIA Quadro K4200 385.69 ∙ Matrox Mojito... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 20 2009 3:25 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,894
    • Points 214,145
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: SD and HD on the same Timeline

Hoh:
    Great tutorial, Douglas.  Thanks for going through the process on that one. 

Is it true that you would do an HD mixdown regardless of your final output (SD DVD or HD Blu-ray Disc)?  I just wanted to confirm that.

Thanks for posting this!
    -Darin

Thank you, Darin.
    Yes, I would always do an HD mixdown regardless of my final output -  IF I am using DVDitPro HD or Avid DVD to do my authoring in.
    I cannot say how I would do it if I used Encore, as I don't have that programme.
    I would absolutely avoid any intermediate transcoding..... just go direct to AvidDVD through the QT-ref file.

Here is a tutorial I made to explain my thoughts on this:

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller