Latest post Fri, May 29 2009 4:59 PM by Kevin Klimek. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 28 2009 10:36 PM

• jpolk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 28 2009
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Import OMF from Pro Tools

I'm working with a project that has been sweetened in Pro Tools. I now have both an AAF export and an OMF export with associated wav files. To my knowledge, these projects have been exported from Pro Tools correctly. I have read that the correct way to import an OMF project is to import the .omf file and then manually copy the wav files into Avid's OMFI directory. I have attempted this on a new macbook pro running media composer 3.5 and on a windows machine running media composer 2.8

In both cases, I cannot located an OMFI directory. The only directory that I am aware of is the Avid Media Files folder, which is intended to hold MXF files only. In both cases, I am able to successfully import a timeline and a bin full of sound clips. However, these sound clips do not seem to contain any information (when i load them into the source window, they do not not say "media offline." Rather, the clips play, but I don't get any levels.

I think that the problem arises becasue the wav files have never been imported. I just don't know where to put them so that avid will find them in the database and relink the clips in my bin to the underlying files that were generated from the Pro Tools export.

Has anyone else encoutnered this and found a solution? Any help would be great - thanks!

Jeremy

• Thu, May 28 2009 10:57 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,338
    • Points 60,280
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Import OMF from Pro Tools

There is no "OMFI MediaFiles" directory on your media drives? Where did you put the AAF and OMF export files?

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 28 2009 10:59 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,338
    • Points 60,280
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Also... do you have access to the ProTools system that produced the files?

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 29 2009 3:10 AM In reply to

If you are only using MXF media, you probably wouldn't have an OMFI MediaFIles folder.

You can force the Avid to create one if you switch your media creation settings to OMF and then digitze or import a clip to that drive.  Then you'll have a place to drag your OMF media to.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, May 29 2009 1:00 PM In reply to

• jpolk
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Adman,

Thanks so much for your quick response! No, there is not an OMFI directory on my media drive (though a think a response below explains how to force avid to create one), and I do not have access to the Pro Tools System that created the audio. The OMF export was simply transferred to my computer in its own folder. I'm attempting to transfer it to my own media drive on import.

I'll try Kevin's advice below and see if that helps. Any other suggestions based on the info I've given you? Thanks again!

Jeremy

• Fri, May 29 2009 1:12 PM In reply to

• jpolk
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Hi Kevin,

This is clever - thanks. I looked into my media creation settings, and I don't seem to have the option of using OMF. Do you think this has anything to do with my project format (720p 2997) or the fact that I'm running 3.5? I think you're on the right track - this seems like it would solve my problem. Any suggestions about how to proceed?

Jeremy

• Fri, May 29 2009 1:21 PM In reply to

You are correct...HD projects are always MXF (at least for video).  You can try one of two things:

Go into your Audio Settings and change the Audio Media Creation settings to a flavor of OMF (if you can...I'm not 100% sure of that one.)  If you can, dig or import some audio and the folder will be created.

Or, create a temp SD project, make sure your media creation settings are set to OMF, and dig or import a clip.  The folder will be created...then you can switch back to your other project.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, May 29 2009 4:36 PM In reply to

• jpolk
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Hi Kevin,

This worked - thanks so much! All I had to do was create an SD project, change the media creation settings, and import a clip to force the creation of an OMFI folder. Once that was finished, I imported my OMF audio project, and then manually transfered the audio clips to the OMFI directory. Avid scanned the drive, updated the database, and everything is now working perfectly.

Jeremy

• Fri, May 29 2009 4:59 PM In reply to

Glad to help!

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller