Latest post Fri, Jun 12 2009 1:27 PM by Larry Rubin. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 1 2009 8:56 PM

Converting PAL to NTSC and to PAL again

Hi. We do NTSC and PAL DVDs. Our idea is to work just in NTSC platform and just before encoding M2V to make DVDs, convert some of ours shows to PAL using probably a Video Internacional converter. The problem is some footage are in PAL so we'll need to make PAL to NTSC and to PAL again. Will we have a huge quality loss? Maybe because M2V quality loss, that convertion isn't a problem. 

Thanks!

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Jun 1 2009 9:52 PM In reply to

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC and to PAL again

I've done format converting from PAL to NTSC in After Effects without any significant quality loss. I would recommend that route if you have AE.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 12:28 PM In reply to

• Neil J
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 576
    • Points 7,390

NTSC to PAL conversion can be pretty awful. So i would avoid PAL - NTSC - PAL at all costs. If you can stay in PAL all the way then do your NTSC conversions at the end of post prior to making your M2Vs.

I guess this depends on the volume of material shot in either format but i would also highly recommend using a hard ware based standards convertor if you have a large volume of content. Don't know anything about the one mentioned in your post but there are some great products out there from long established and reliable companies.

• Mon, Jun 8 2009 6:32 PM In reply to

Neil J and Larry,

Thanks for your help. I've never tried on AfterEffects and will test. I hope soon I'll have a hardware to do that. I agree its better to avoid, I need to figure out if I have another way to work. 

Thanks again, you helped a lot. 

Luiz

• Mon, Jun 8 2009 8:45 PM In reply to

Luiz:

I have the specific procedure for doing it in AE. If you need it, let me know.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:53 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Larry, could You please post the recipe in a NTSC-to-PAL-with-AE-for-dummies fashion?

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 8:13 PM In reply to

Sure, please bear with me - I'm finishing a weekly program at the moment - will post it in about an hour. BTW, my procedure is PAL to NTSC, but I'm sure you can adapt it to do the reverse.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 2:16 AM In reply to

Here's the procedure I use:

Create new project.

Import PAL Quicktime

CTRL + F  In the interpret footage window, "Conform the frame rate" to 29.97. Change the Pixel Aspect Ratio to "D1/DV NTSC (0.9)"

Hit OK

Drop movie into a new composition (drag movie to film frame icon at bottom).

Composition>composition settings

Change Apect ratio height to 486. This will crop the 720x578 frame to 720 x 486.

Also, as an alternate for aspect ratio manipulation, use the scale and position properties for the aspect of your choice.

Hit OK

Render out the movies. Be sure to render it out at lower field first. And be prepared for some LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG render times! If it's more than one composition, create them all up to the render point, and then set up a render que overnight. I'm using AE 6.5, so I'm assuming the procedure's either identical or very similar in CS4.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 5:28 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Thank You Larry, that's what I call a "for dummies how to"!

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 1:27 PM In reply to

You're welcome, Luca. BTW, I tried to email you something through the Forum email, but it got kicked back as undeliverable. Can you email me an address I can send to?

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller