Latest post Tue, Sep 8 2009 10:23 PM by peet1. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 2 2009 10:24 AM

• mclaus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 2 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 35

Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 with network users on XSAN gives "File Avid Projects not found"

We use Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 on our OSX 10.5.6 clients in a XSAN environment.
    When logging in on a client as a local user, we can use Avid MC without any problems. Our XSAN is read / write available for Avid.
    Problems occur when trying to login with network credentials via our OSX 10.5.7 Open Directory. Avid starts up and the Licence Agreement appears. After agreeing, a non-closable window "File 'Avid Projects' not found." appears. Only a Force Quit will shutdown Avid after that.

This only happens with networking credentials. The users-home folder are hosted on our XSAN volume. The Home Folder sharepoint is an AFP-share.
    Even if we make a network-user a local admin, the problems remain the same.

The APPEVENT.LOG in /Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/Avid FatalErrorReports, shows lots of the the following messages;

Ready Application Ready for user
    FataExcpt File 'Avid Projects' not found

Some googling showed up that this could be related to a bad install. I uninstalled Avid with the uninstaller and installed it again, without success.

Our XSAN runs on 10.57 without any problems for local users. Our users have full control on the XSAN.
    Avid qualified to run on 10.56, so our clients are on 10.5.5 and 10.5.6, but the home folders are hosted on an 10.5.7 XSAN. Can this be the cause of our problems?

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 1:12 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 with network users on XSAN gives "File Avid Projects not found"

Not sure we fully support Active directory on the Mac, let alone on XSAN. Let me do some digging and see what I can find out.

In the mean time, I am going to move this to the shared storage forum to see if anyone there knows.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 1:54 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Re: Avid Media Composer 3.5.1 with network users on XSAN gives "File Avid Projects not found"

I'm still looking into this but one thing that was mentioned to me was making sure that the Domain priviliges for each user are wide open. Resticting access anywhere has been known to keep MC from launching.

Where are you storing your projects?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 2:56 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

You can't share projects this way.

ALL PROJECTS AND USER FOLDERS MUST REMAIN LOCAL.

Media can be shared on your XSAN, but again ALL PROJECTS AND USER LOGINS MUST BE LOCAL

And realize- even for Media Only,  this is 145% unsupported.

JDS

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 3:04 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Jef's right, it's unsupported but we are looking to see if it's possible on any level.

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 3:19 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

Been through more then 1 X-San certification since it's inception.

DO NOT TRUST YOUR MEDIA TO THIS THING.

Cheers.

JDS

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Tue, Sep 8 2009 10:23 PM In reply to

• peet1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 10 2008
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Xsan.  That's a secondary issue.  Your issue is that you are using NetworkHome Directories from your OD accounts.  The only way around it would be to use your OD to create mobile homes for the users upon login to AVID machines.

As far as I can tell Avid is unable/unwilling/unaware that network homes are even an issue.  

To Avid.  FCP has no issue with network homes.  I am once again disappointed that my AVID workstations are so significantly more dificult to manage than *any* other workstation I support.

peet

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller