Latest post Mon, Mar 10 2014 11:35 PM by Marty. 160 replies.
Page 2 of 11 (161 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 20 2009 10:13 PM In reply to

Re: Please fix slow waveform redraw !!!!!!!!

postmark:
    which you have to resize to get any resolution at all
    Why???  Just save multiple timeline views. One with audio tracks resized and sample plot turned on another with it turned off, yet another with the audio tracks really big for resolution.  You also have a default Audio Toolset that you could modify to how you like with a named timeline view attached to it that you can easily select

Also have you considered using the sample plot only between in and out. Not ideal in some circumstances but a great timesaver.

Those are IMO very useful workarounds and the goal should still be a leaf out of Protools waveform technology.

• Fri, Aug 28 2009 8:43 PM In reply to

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

Just want to add my +1 to this request, for whatever that's worth. Repainting waveforms slows me way down, and it'd be nice if the waveform was cached after the first time you view it.

MC 7.0.0, OSX 10.8.4 Retina Macbook Pro Blackmagic Mini Monitor [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Aug 28 2009 9:30 PM In reply to

• Tones
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 65
    • Points 805

The best workaround I have at the moment is expanding on Andrews excellent suggestion of having multiple timeline views and mapping the display waveform command to a button for quick toggling. What I would love is a way to map timeline views to a button as well. Any ideas on how to do that?

• Fri, Aug 28 2009 9:41 PM In reply to

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

Yeah, I have multiple timeline views defined with the sample plot on and off, but it doesn't make editing audio any quicker. The problem still exists that when the sample plot is on, it has to repaint most of the time when you zoom or move on the timeline, and that takes a lot of time when you have a lot of audio tracks. On top of that, once the repaint starts, 9 times out of 10 you can't switch views in the middle of the process, so if it's painting waveforms for an entire reel and you just want to get back to Normal view, you're locked out from doing that for 30 seconds because of the spinning beach ball of death.

MC 7.0.0, OSX 10.8.4 Retina Macbook Pro Blackmagic Mini Monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 28 2009 9:52 PM In reply to

I think an improvement on the display waveform between IO (which I do not use as I have not found a way to make it speed up my editing) would be to have it display waveform between closest locators on any audio track either side of the TPI.

Maybe even make one colour of locators audio only to make the programing of this easier.

• Mon, Aug 31 2009 1:07 PM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 27 2008
    • Norway
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,065

Schiffty:

Yeah, I have multiple timeline views defined with the sample plot on and off, but it doesn't make editing audio any quicker. The problem still exists that when the sample plot is on, it has to repaint most of the time when you zoom or move on the timeline, and that takes a lot of time when you have a lot of audio tracks. On top of that, once the repaint starts, 9 times out of 10 you can't switch views in the middle of the process, so if it's painting waveforms for an entire reel and you just want to get back to Normal view, you're locked out from doing that for 30 seconds because of the spinning beach ball of death.

If you regret starting the loading of sample plot - hit CTRL + . to stop it. Then you can turn off sample plot, zoom in to an appropriate level on the timeline and turn it back on again :)

I have mapped audio sample plot to a key instead of entire timeline views. That might change quicker back and forth. Loading the sample plot is still slow though.

fred

Mostly hp z420/440 on Media Composer 8.x and Symphony 8.x Also Dell Precision m3800 | Win 10 | 16GB memory | Quadro k1100 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 31 2009 5:45 PM In reply to

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

Haha, regret is such a great word for how I feel when those waveforms start to draw unintentionally. Thanks for the ctrl-. recommendation, just tried it and am now very excited :)

thanks!

• Mon, Aug 31 2009 6:36 PM In reply to

Another option to get faster waveform redraw is to use "show marked waveforms" in timeline settings.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Aug 31 2009 6:48 PM In reply to

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

It's faster but I haven't found it useful to me while I'm solely focused on editing audio. When I'm cutting sound I like to see the whole waveform so I can quickly find changes in a score or to align a sound effect to the proper frame. Setting an In/Out all the time I think could be useful when you already know where your beats/hits are, but would get cumbersome if you're moving things around the timeline a lot. IMO, at least :)

• Tue, Sep 1 2009 4:20 PM In reply to

• vvp
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Edmonton, Canada
    • Posts 659
    • Points 8,025

This feature has been available on DS for YEARS ... There is no reason why Avid can't add this to MC.

MC Symphony Nitris DX v.7.0.3 HP Z800 * MC Nitris DX v.7.0.3 HP Z800 * MC v.7.0.3 HP Z800 [view my complete system specs]

So my new wife asks me about my "Avid Forever" tattoo... I told her she's an old girlfriend who was always coming up with new things for me to try...

• Mon, Sep 21 2009 8:05 AM In reply to

• editmk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • London
    • Posts 247
    • Points 3,390

It is strange how much this is requested but never gets implemented. Macros or automation is another example of a continuous request. Maybe we could have a macro for requesting both!

www.mikegreen.tv

• Mon, Sep 21 2009 12:56 PM In reply to

The fastest the PC the fastest the redraw.

But I have seen this kind of behaviour in Liquid and Premiere before some versions.

And they have fixed it. SO it can be fixed in MC as well and is indeed very needed.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(411.95)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2019.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Sep 21 2009 1:42 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 503
    • Points 6,075

For me caching the waveforms would be just as much a timesaver as the new Transition Preservation in MC4.  

It would be one of those tipping points that would help me decide whether to pay for an upgrade or not.

Come on Avid!

Media Composer 2019.8.0 Dell Precision 5820, 32GB, i9-9920x, Quadro P2000, W10 [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Fri, Oct 9 2009 3:49 PM In reply to

• CreativeControl
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 10 2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 410
    • Points 5,190

Yikes, I thought this may be in 4 but not.  Please add my 2 cents.  And while you're at it fix the silly slow thumbnail drawing/re-drawing/re-re-drawing....

2 MC4.0.5 systems, both self built Intel Quad Core PC's. Asus P5n32-e motherboards. One with NV GTX 470 - 275.33 drivers and one with NV 7800GT card... [view my complete system specs]

Editor/Shooter/Animator - www.creativecontrol.ca

WWII Aviation Artist - www.actionart.ca

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 1:39 PM In reply to

• recess
    • Not Ranked
    • Glasgow, Scotland
    • Posts 29
    • Points 375

Adding in my exasperation to this too. Just a one time caching of the waveform as in Final Cut would make life so much easier - all the work-arounds are all very good in Avid - but ultimately, it'd be a  lot easier, and a lot more obvious to add this feature.

John

I work in someone else's nest, so it's always different. [view my complete system specs]

Success is merely a failure to imagine more...

Page 2 of 11 (161 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller