Latest post Mon, Jul 13 2009 12:10 PM by jwrl. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 9 2009 9:51 PM

• pinger006
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 12 2009
    • Posts 12
    • Points 185

After Encoding I get Black Screen and no Audio from P2 AMA Project

Here's the Deal:  MC 3.5.1   Avid Certified PC 

I have a P2 project that was shot with the HVX200.  I copied the P2 cards onto my hard drive and then used MC's "Link to AMA Volume" option to bring the clips into my project (all clips appear yellow).  I then proceeded to edit the project without problems. 

Now it's time for me to export the sequence and encode it for DVD.  I export as a QT Reference.  The QT Reference plays back perfectly.  I then import the QT Reference into Adobe Media Encoder CS4 to convert the file to MPEG2.  After Encoding all that results is a file with no audio and a black screen.  It doesn't matter what I encode to (MPEG, QT, etc.), the result is always the same.  I tried exporting a Same as Source QT Movie from MC rather than a QT Reference, but the story was the same. 

The only way I can get a video file to encode is if I start by exporting from Avid using a setting other than QT Reference and QT Same as Source Movie. 

Is this a problem with my P2 workflow (this is my first P2 project)?  I know it's not Media Encoder CS4 because I've used it on many other projects (not P2) and never had a problem.

Am I missing a step in my P2 workflow?  Please Help!!!

MC 3.5.1, Intel Q9650 @ 3.93GHz, 8 gigs ram, Vista Business 64 SP1, QuadroFX 4600, Seagate 7200 250GB System Drive, Seagate 7200 500GB Media Drive, Cavalry... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 9 2009 10:20 PM In reply to

Re: After Encoding I get Black Screen and no Audio from P2 AMA Project

If the exported file either as Same as Source self-contained or QTref is playing fine in QT Player, then it's not an issue with the export from Avid.  More likely is that Adobe Media Encoder can't read the codecs or something.  

Have you tried exporting a QT with a generic codec, (ie, Animation or even H264) and encoding that as a test?  AME could be having issue with deciphering the P2 media natively (which is what it would have to do because you used AMA --- ack too many similar abbreviations!!)

Your Avid via AMA is reading from the native P2 format, exporting a Same As Source or QTref would be making use of that same native P2 format.  Try a different codec and I'll bet it works.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 10:29 PM In reply to

• pinger006
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 185

It's not a problem with Adobe Media Encoder.  It's never had a problem with Avid Codecs before.  I also tried encoding using TEMPEnc 4.0 Express and had the same issue. 

As I mentioned in the first post, if I export using any other method it will work, but there are drawbacks to those methods (either the quality is lacking or the file size is huge).  Not to mention, encoding using QT Ref saves a lot of time, not only exporting from Avid, but during the encoding process as well.  Having to use another export method (let's use AVI for example) requires a lot of time exporting out of Avid, takes up tons of hard drive space, and makes the encoding process in 3rd party applications more complex, thus increasing the encoding time.  I'm getting taxed at both ends by not being able to use the QT Ref or the QT Same as Source Movie.

Any other suggestions. 

MC 3.5.1, Intel Q9650 @ 3.93GHz, 8 gigs ram, Vista Business 64 SP1, QuadroFX 4600, Seagate 7200 250GB System Drive, Seagate 7200 500GB Media Drive, Cavalry... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 9 2009 10:48 PM In reply to

pinger006:
    It's not a problem with Adobe Media Encoder.  It's never had a problem with Avid Codecs before.

When you access P2 or XDCam media directly via Avid Media Access (AMA) then you're not using Avid Codecs you are using the native codec of whatever format you used.  So, it very well could be that Adobe Media Encoder can not interpret the native P2 format.

Exporting from Avid as a QTref references the media files for that clip.  Exporting as Same As Source tells the QT to use the same codec that the Source material used.  In both instances, you are using native P2 media because you have not yet chosen to Consolidate your P2 media - you are accessing it via AMA, which means Avid has not converted the files into any kind of Avid format.

pinger006:
    Having to use another export method (let's use AVI for example)

I wasn't suggesting that you use another file format... export as a QT, but change the codec (just humor me) to H264.  Do a short section.  See if that encodes successfully.  

The problem lies in the native P2 format, so until you either Consolidate the media into your Avid or export it as a self-contained QT with another codec (you could also try one of the Avid codecs) I think you're going to continue to have unsuccessful encodes.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 1:34 AM In reply to

• pinger006
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 185

As far as changing the codec, I've done every variation and I know that they work, but they don't compare to QT Ref or Same as Source in the areas of efficiency and/or quality.  The H.264, for example, is highly compressed and I loose a lot of my color information (I'm of course selecting 601/701 colorspace over the RGB.  Some would say this is incorrect and that RGB gives better color, but in my experience the RGB setting results in an exaggerated composite signal with whites and blacks outside of broadcast levels after I spent all my time in Color Correction making sure everything is tiptop shape.). 

So back to the Consolidation thing...  I have also tried this (or at least I think I have) to see if anything would change and nothing did. 

I duplicated my sequence and placed it in a new bin.  I right-clicked the sequence and selected "Consolidate/Transcode".  The following are my checked settings:  Consolidate; Video and Audio on Same Drive; Create new Sequence with a handle length of 48 frames; Skip Media Files already on target drive, Relink selected clips to target drive before skipping. 

I then clicked "Consolidate" and a new sequence and new clips were created in the bin.  I exported a QT Ref and a Same as Source, but I got the same result.

Am I missing something with the Consolidate/Transcode workflow?  I must admit that I'm a little confused by the whole process, so if you (or anybody) could explain it to me like a 4 year-old, I'd be very thankful.  :)  My ultimate goal is to utilize QT Ref Export with my P2 projects.

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 2:25 AM In reply to

Okay, one thing that I didn't mention before is that perhaps your project type just won't allow a QTref export.  I recently worked on a P2 project that was 720p/23.976 and I couldn't do QTref exports.  What is your project type?

Secondly, I'm not 100% clear on the AMA workflow specifics, but I believe that you need to bring the native P2 media that you're currently reading from the cards into the Avid - this is what I meant by "Consolidating".  I have not worked with P2 in AMA and have only seen a brief demo of it, but I'm having a feeling that it's just something in the basic process that you're missing rather than something being wrong.

The exports seem to be going fine, you can play the results in QT Player - so there's some other obstacle that's preventing the media from being Encoded.

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 3:10 AM In reply to

• pinger006
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 185

It is in fact a 720p 23.976 project. 

Is there an AMA p2 workflow somewhere?  I've seen the "Clips to Bin" workflow everywhere, but never an AMA workflow from import through export...

I am not currently reading the media from the cards... I copied the data from the cards onto my hard drive, named each card folder a different name, and then selected those folders when I "linked to AMA volume".  Is there something I'm missing there? 

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 3:33 AM In reply to

If the clips in the Bin are colored Yellow, then they are still being read directly from their AMA volume. 

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 3:34 AM In reply to

• pinger006
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 185

Alrighty.  They are all yellow.  How do I fix that?

Thanks for all you help.  It's awesome.

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 3:57 AM In reply to

pinger006:
    They are all yellow.  How do I fix that?

Unfortunately, that's the part that I'm fuzzy on still (not actually having done it myself)

Perhaps someone else can offer help from here, but I do believe your encoding woes are related to the fact that you need to bring the media into Avid in order to export as a QTref

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 5:13 AM In reply to

• pinger006
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 185

Thanks for all your help.  I appreciate it. 

Just so you know, I tried a few other settings in my TEMPGEnc 4.0 Express encoding program and after some manipulation, it was able to recognize the QT Ref!!!  Yeah!!!  So perhaps what you mentioned at the get go was right and it is something to do with Adobe Media Encoder.

Using TEMPGEnc 4.0 Express, I encoded an MPEG-2 Blu-Ray file.  The picture and sound came out beautiful, but the sound seems to be delayed and out of sync with the picture.  Any ideas there?  

Anyone? 

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 5:44 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

pinger006:

So perhaps what you mentioned at the get go was right and it is something to do with Adobe Media Encoder.

There have been huge compliant probs reported with CS 4 and I think that Adobe even have released a CS 4,1 to solve some of the probs.  CS3 works perfect.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 6:57 AM In reply to

• pinger006
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 185

I've already installed the latest updates from Adobe and the problem is still there.  I'm not saying that the problem lies with Adobe for certain, however... 

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 8:06 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,385
    • Points 97,005

Try downloading and installing the Panasonic P2 viewer.  This will bring with it the P2 native codecs.  Once they're there Adobe should be able to see your media.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 10 2009 3:11 PM In reply to

pinger006:
    So perhaps what you mentioned at the get go was right

I like this.  :)

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller