Latest post Tue, Feb 9 2010 6:14 AM by Ra-ey Saleh. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 30 2009 11:44 PM

• cobyrich
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 18 2008
    • Posts 3
    • Points 80
    • Avid Authorized Developer - MetaSync

Mega Time-Saver: The Compression Preview Tool

The biggest complaint that I had when searching for the "exact right" compression settings is the time that it took to encode a file, over and over again, once I had modified the settings or tried a new codec. Well, this headache can be virtually eliminated with the Compression Preview Tool in Squeeze. This relatively obscure tool is found directly under the beginning of the timeline in the preview window.

To create a compression preview I must first import a file, apply an audience preset and make any changes in the preset as needed. Next, I need to place the play head in the timeline of the file where I would like to see the preview. Using the pull down arrow on the right I can choose a specific time period between one and five seconds that I would like to encode. Once the time is chosen Squeeze shows me the time of the video that it will encode.

Lastly, I just click the play icon next to the drop down and Squeeze creates the preview and launches it in my default player. This tool is particularly useful when I'm choosing the best codec or data rate to use, and especially when I'm working with long form video. The preview gives me a good idea how my final compressed output will look, without taking the time to encode the entire video. This way I can add filters, change data rates, switch codec and tweak the settings to my hearts content until I am completely satisfied with the look of my video.

• Fri, Jul 31 2009 2:03 AM In reply to

Re: Mega Time-Saver: The Compression Preview Tool

cobyrich:
    This way I can add filters, change data rates, switch codec and tweak the settings to my hearts content until I am completely satisfied with the look of my video.
    Not to mention a very quick check that a particular codec is working and not producing a nice white screen encode waiting to be discovered an hour or more later.

Very helpfull.  Thank you.

• Mon, Sep 7 2009 8:30 PM In reply to

Now into my 4th season of hosting and producing a web-based documentary talk show, format, compression and delivery have been and ongoing, relentless quest for perfection! Thanks for the tip it works great!

djb

MC 3.5 ASUS P5E3 Q9450 2.6 GHz, Win XP SP3, 4GB DDR3, nVida Quadro FX 1700/512MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 9 2010 6:14 AM In reply to

Just getting into Sorenson now (great tool) and read this post.  I would have completely missed that trick if i hadn't read it here, thanks.

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller