Latest post Sat, Oct 30 2010 10:39 AM by mjolnarn. 65 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 9 2009 12:54 AM In reply to

Re: MC 3.5 and Snow Leopard - Mac OSX 10.6

Glad to hear there aren't any major issue so far.

I'm running 10.6 at home and really like it. As for QT compatibility, QT X is a total rewrite and at the moment only has the APIs to deal with modern codecs like h.264. If you open up anything else it simply runs QT 7 in the background. The temporary reliance on QT 7 is probably why the upgrade seems to smooth. Final Cut Pro doesn't even use QT X yet, it will be a long time before it's ready for any real work.

• Wed, Sep 9 2009 3:12 AM In reply to

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6) and even after an uninstall and reinstall, I cannot launch Fibre Manager v.5.1.2. I noticed that during the uninstall that the Tiger pkg is installed...  Is there a Leopard pkg?  I double click the Fibre Manager application icon and nothing happens...

Is there a newer version and where can I get it?

Thanks.

• Thu, Sep 10 2009 6:20 AM In reply to

• eddit13
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2009
    • NYC
    • Posts 18
    • Points 270

haukez:

eddit13, maybe its not 10.6. i am not referring to OS 10.6, but i had a similar problem with non-accessible audiosuite plugins under leopard in the past wich was caused by wrong access rights settings. Try to run MC as Administrator and see if the problem persist. Maybe something got mixed up during your install. 

Thanks for the suggestion. AudioSuite still crashed while loading. Specifically, it was loading the plug-in "Stereo Mixer.dpm" @ 96% and then I get the "'Bus Error' in thread 'Main Thread', at address  0x0". Have to Force Quit. I've been cutting a project at home off a Firewire drive with very little problems. The Project was originally created at my office (we have Unity btw) and I've been seamlessly editing at work and home using MC 3.1.1, not 3.5.

With all that said, I would wait till Avid confirms they support OS 10.6 to upgrade workstations that will be capturing, laying off or accessing Unity. Since I'm just offlining from my Macbook, I will not need to perform a Digital Cut or Capture on this 10.6 OS. For the geeks like me that couldn't wait, it seems to be a painless upgrade despite the AudioSuite issue.

iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5, MC 8.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 10 2009 6:28 AM In reply to

• eddit13
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 18
    • Points 270

Post Pipeline:

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6) and even after an uninstall and reinstall, I cannot launch Fibre Manager v.5.1.2. I noticed that during the uninstall that the Tiger pkg is installed...  Is there a Leopard pkg?  I double click the Fibre Manager application icon and nothing happens...

Is there a newer version and where can I get it?

Thanks.

I can't upgrade my workstation to 10.6 so I can't test FibreManager myself. I imagine FibreManager and AudioSuite will both need to be upgraded before it's 10.6 friendly. 

iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5, MC 8.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 10 2009 8:12 PM In reply to

• twistlick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 24
    • Points 390

MC 3.5.4 running smooth on my 10.6.0 2009 QuadCore Mac.  Did a clean install of Snow Leopard. 

I have a 4 drive internal RAID in the Mac. I've used it lightly for primarily just cuts and dissolves so far.  The projects I have are brought over from a PC version 3.0 composer where all the footage is captured. One weird quirk I noticed is when I change the name of a bin that originated in the PC version it gives me an error message yet changes the name of the bin anyway after I hit OK on the error message.  I've also brought the bins from the Mac version back over to the PC version and they work fine.  So far so good.

Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Sep 11 2009 8:04 PM In reply to

• swatchpost
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,165

I've seen the warnings from bringing a PC MC bin into a Mac MC project on a film I just finished.  Nothing to worry about.  That's not a Snow Leopard issue.

MC v5.5.3, 2x2.93GHz 8Core Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, 10.7.5, QT v7.6.3 ; Avid MC v5.5.3, 2x3.06GHz MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 10.7.5, QT v7.6.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 11 2009 8:13 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

eddit13:
    Specifically, it was loading the plug-in "Stereo Mixer.dpm" @ 96% and then I get the "'Bus Error' in thread 'Main Thread', at address  0x0". Have to Force Quit.

The Mac installation notes state that you need to remove that file and also the Surround Mixer.dpm file.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Sep 11 2009 8:49 PM In reply to

• eddit13
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 18
    • Points 270

BLKDOG:

eddit13:
    Specifically, it was loading the plug-in "Stereo Mixer.dpm" @ 96% and then I get the "'Bus Error' in thread 'Main Thread', at address  0x0". Have to Force Quit.

The Mac installation notes state that you need to remove that file and also the Surround Mixer.dpm file.

Thanks for sending that. So should I remove the two files and try reinstalling MC 3.1.1? I'll can try that when I get home and see if I can get AudioSuite running again.

• Fri, Sep 11 2009 9:08 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Yep.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Sep 14 2009 1:24 AM In reply to

Anybody have a Snow Leopard system on which Marquee runs properly in 3.5.4?  Mine beachballs upon opening Marquee, necessitating a force quit.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 22 2009 6:51 PM In reply to

Mine also Beach Balls in the same configuration, 3.5.4 on Snow Leopard.

3.5.4 can't see OHCI when I try to add a channel in Deck Configuration.

Any word on if 4.0 can see it? 

• Wed, Sep 30 2009 6:54 PM In reply to

• Hendzelm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 16 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

&amp;amp;lt;!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --&amp;amp;gt;

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

&amp;lt;!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --&amp;gt;

• Wed, Sep 30 2009 6:58 PM In reply to

• Hendzelm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 16 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

I was running Avid MC 3.5 on an iMac w Leopard.  Recently I purchased Snow Leopard.  Created a bootable copy of my HD on an external drive.  I installed Snow and Avid worked just fine.  Unfortunately, I was still having the same random freezing my computer had under Leopard.  I decided to do a clean install.  So I again backed up to the external(this time the OS is Snow Leopard).

When I tried to reinstall Avid it wouldn’t let me and gave me a license error.  Mistake 1# I didn't deactivate Avid before wiping the hard drive.   I booted from the xternal opened Avid and deactivated it.  I spent the next several days installing and uninstalling on the regular and xternal drive trying to activate the software every conceivable way to no avail.  (P.S. this is the version with a Pass Key not the dongle). I called License support and they reset my serial number. Since their support number is only open during business hours I had to call from work.  When I got home, still no success.  Now being too late to call support back I had to call another day.

I spoke to their support rep who told me that my problem is that Avid Media Composer 3.5 does not officially support Snow Leopard.  But wait, he tells me, there’s a ‘work around’. It appears that if in library/ application support/ avid you simply create a folder called pixie your problems are solved.  I was also warned that I may experience issues with Quicktime compatibility.

While I don’t entirely understand why this was such a hassle, this shockingly simple work around somehow solved my problems and allowed me to successfully reactivate my software.  I hope by posting this I can save someone else a few days of madness.   

• Fri, Oct 9 2009 1:29 PM In reply to

• TMVC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,090

No offense but "pixie??" Are you kidding?

System 1: MC Adrenaline version 3.2 HP xw8200 3.4 dual xeon 3 gb RAM Huge Mediavault U320 3 x 200 gb RAID 3 1 x 2 TB Editshare system System... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 13 2009 12:55 AM In reply to

• kojo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 2 2008
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

haven't had a chance to test yet, but i was able to install avid, etc.

my point though, is this: we noticed today that the FibreManager is run as a PPC process on Leopard.  i'm going to try and install Rosetta and see if i'm able to get Fibre Manager running.

anyone else have luck, some ideas?

Page 4 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller