Latest post Thu, Sep 3 2009 4:43 PM by Larry Rubin. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 3 2009 2:39 AM

• vandee18
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 3 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Re: Timeline/Offline Media from recaptured clips

I recaptured some clips that were on an assembly and when I opened that assembly the recaptured clips were red and offline. So I just matched back and cut and pasted them back into the timeline from their bins. WHy did this happen? Is it something I did when I recaptured or is a bug in the software?

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 3:19 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

You leave out a lot of details here. Had you selected the original master clips and recaptured, they should be online in a sequence.

If you captured new copies, then you can't relink to the original master clips unless they have the exact same start and stop TCs and the same source tape.

Give us a better description of your workflow.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 3:35 AM In reply to

• vandee18
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

There were clips that had to be recaptured because of a flickering problem, so I logged them into the capture window with the frames starting at either 0 or 5. Oh, damn. It's because I changed the timecode isn't it?

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 3:36 AM In reply to

Why didn't you just Batch Capture?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 4:11 AM In reply to

• vandee18
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Huh?

I batch captured the new clips after changing the timecode ins and outs during the logging.

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 5:09 AM In reply to

vandee18:
    I batch captured the new clips after changing the timecode ins and outs during the logging.

But why did you change the TC?

If the piece was assembled already you could've just selected the assembly sequence and chose to Batch Capture, it would've used the TC that was already logged and just replaced the shots in the sequence.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 7:16 AM In reply to

• vandee18
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

I changed the time code because the original clips had a strange flicker like they lost some frames or soemthng

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 3:12 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

You were working in a 24 or 23.98 project? So pulldown removal was happening and you didn't start on 0 or 5 originally?

You can change the cadence in the "Film and 24P" settings. This is another way to go about it. That might have let them relink. 

If you change the code though, you are screwed on them relinking to the master clips. However...

Here is how Avid works. You have a master clip. The only way you can relink media to it is to have the exact same source and the exact same start and stop TCs and the same source.

Subclips will relink to any media that has the same or more TC than what is contained in the subclip. so...

If you master clip went from 1:00:00:00 to 1:10:00:00 and your subclip fell within there at 1:01:00:00 to 1:02:00:00 it would relink. If it ended at 1:10:00:01 it would not relink as the media wasn't there to support it.

The key here is that a sequence is a series of subclips. So even if your master clips won't relink as the TC didn't match exactly, relinking your sequence still might work.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 4:43 PM In reply to

TCurren:
    If you change the code though, you are screwed on them relinking to the master clips.

This is especially true when using batch capture and would explain why the shots were not replaced in your timeline.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller