Latest post Fri, Nov 6 2009 4:53 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:47 PM

• swest26
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 72
    • Points 915

Database issues after Capturing

Our system has 10 Avid MC 3.5.1 systems networked to a Unity. We have one virtual drive set up for the users to capture to and one drive set up for project files.  For the longest time now we have been finding large amounts of media files to be offline.  Each machine has a file on the dedicated media drive that it captures to, ex avid  #1 puts its media fils in AVID1.1, and avid #2 in AVID2.1 all the way to ten. We found that all the media is still there and to get the media back all we have to do is delete the two database files and restart whichever avid is giving us the problem.  Then we found what causes it. When a user opens a project and begins to capture instead of adding the newly captured media to the already existing database, it overwrites the database file with one that only links the media just captured in that project, leaving everything else that has been captured on that specific machine offline.

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks in advance.

3 Systems MC 5 Quad Core i7, 64bit, windows 7, 12Gig Ram NVIDIA FX1800 MC 4 HP 8200 Nvidia FX3450 Avid Adrenaline Dual 3.7's 4 Gig Ram HPZ8000 Laptop... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:50 PM In reply to

• swest26
    • Not Ranked
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 72
    • Points 915

Re: Database issues after Capturing

pay no attention to my system specs below, those are for my home system...

3 Systems MC 5 Quad Core i7, 64bit, windows 7, 12Gig Ram NVIDIA FX1800 MC 4 HP 8200 Nvidia FX3450 Avid Adrenaline Dual 3.7's 4 Gig Ram HPZ8000 Laptop... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:08 PM In reply to

• swest26
    • Not Ranked
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 72
    • Points 915

bump.

• Thu, Nov 5 2009 11:29 PM In reply to

• lawsonr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 8 2006
    • CBS News
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,655

What is your media file format? OMF or MXF?

In your dedicated media file folders (AVID1.1, AVID1.2, etc...), what is the average number of files in those sub-folders?

Avid NewsCutter v10.5.4, ISIS 7000 v4.6.1, Interplay 2.7, Interplay Central 1.8 [view my complete system specs]

--- Rob Lawson System Administrator, ACSR CBS News

Filed under:
  • Fri, Nov 6 2009 2:45 PM In reply to

• swest26
    • Not Ranked
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 72
    • Points 915

MXF, and lots. Our system is a Learning system and we wipe the servers every semester.  That said they start the semester with nothing and end with 300-400

• Fri, Nov 6 2009 2:51 PM In reply to

swest26:
    When a user opens a project and begins to capture instead of adding the newly captured media to the already existing database, it overwrites the database file with one that only links the media just captured in that project, leaving everything else that has been captured on that specific machine offline.

How have you determined that this is what is happening? It would be very strange indeed that database files would be "overwritten" in this manner. Please elaborate and describe what workflow and test analysis you used to arrive at this assessment.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Nov 6 2009 4:53 PM In reply to

Indeed, that is very strange behaviour. Like Larry I'm highly interested in how you discovered this.

For completely other reasons then yours (being portserver crashes) I do one thing. I reguraly check the media folders on the avid that loads the material in my setup. If this avid media folder reaches a "large amount", a completely subjective amount, I manually create a new media folder. In other words if I reached a avid1.6 folder, I manually create a avid1.7 folder. Avid automatically starts using this new folder.

If I face another portserver crash then I do not have to scan for a "long time" to get back and find all my media online. Till avid gets this portserver/network issue fixed it saves me a lot of scanning time. Maybe this would also help with your problem.

Maybe a nice feature request would be if we were able to adjust at which file amount avid creates a new media folder.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller