Latest post Tue, Jan 5 2010 5:34 PM by Mark Renz. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 17 2009 2:10 AM

• JLM17xx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 17 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Media Composer can't find dv converter

I'm sure someone's addressed this issue before but I can't find the posts. I'm running MC 3.2 (3.13 actual) and it can't seem to find the external capture device (pyro av link 550) that I seldom use. I normally capture and digital transcode straight from and to my Sony HVR-VU1 so didn't even know it was an issue till recently. Here's the rub:

Both firewire OHCI interfaces/cards are TI (from adaptec and creative) with good/tested cable. Clean install of Avid MC 3.13, no other versions where on machine - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit (although my avid dongle has gone through a few updates over time). The machine itself is a little overkill for Avid but I need the power for AE, Lightwave and their ilk.

Again the in and out with the camera in MC work great! Vista does recognize the pyro without any problem so it's looking to be more down the Avid road at this point. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

EQUIPMENT:

Intel Core 2 Quad E6400 @ 2.13  - Abit IN9 32MAX Wi-Fi Board - 6 Gig SLI DDR800 memory - 3 SLI Nvidia 6800GS video cards (ones used for extra math coprocessor, shading - you know - for the kids). SATA WD and Seagate 7200rpm drives  - 780 watt ps - ok that's the important guts.

• Tue, Jan 5 2010 5:26 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer can't find dv converter

JLM17xx...Your topic curled my eyebrows so I decided to do an experiment. Like you, I have NO PROBLEM at all going from my Canon HV20 cam output direct thru firewire into the AMC Capture Tool. OK, good enough, all works just as it should. Now for the "Trouble-In-Paradise!"...Upon connection of my HV20 into composite inputs of PYRO A/V link 550 and via same firewire into my computer, AMC Capture REFUSES to acknowlege the presence of any video/audio signal! As if that's not bad enough, I next attempted the same config inside Avid Liquid 7.2 SP1 and got the same "NO VIDEO/AUDIO" results...However, when I hooked the output of PYRO A/V into the Liquid Pro BOB...VOILA! There was the video/audio now present within Liquid EZ Capture (however this is via the BOB's USB connection)...Now on to the final and most curious, now making me FURIOUS (again) part of this experiment. I again took the original config and went via Firewire into Adobe OnLocation CS4 and guess what? VOILA!! OH YEAH BABY!! Beautiful Video/Audio within the OnLocation GUI just ready for capture. Again, the effortless functionality of Adobe CS4 is just what a video professional expects from professional software and should TAKE FOR GRANTED with AMC! Why is this SIMPLE SIMPLE procedure NOT the same in Avid??!!

Running AMC 5.0.3.4 Dongle Upgrade with fully updated "AMC 4 era" Production Suite + latest LE/PE Codecs on Non-qualified home built fully updated... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 5 2010 5:34 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,040
    • Points 12,945

Re: Media Composer can't find dv converter

I noticed today in the deck settings under the generic deck template there is a DVBasicDevice, DVDevice and DVTranscoder. I wonder if you selected the transcoder option it would work for you. I am running 4.0.5, not sure how long that has been an option I rarely choose a generic deck template.

Media Composer Nitris DX 2018.8 with Symphony option Win10 64Gb Ram * Media Composer 8.8 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller