Latest post Wed, Jan 11 2012 7:43 PM by Igor Ridanovic. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 21 2009 5:29 PM

Anamorphic Red Footage

Hi,

I am working with red footage that has been shot with anamorphic lenses. 

The footage appears in metafuze, with the anamorphic squeeze there within the 16:9 frame.

Is there a way to rectify this during the transcode process or will I have to squeeze it while I work with the footage in media composer.

Many thanks in advance!

Ne

• Tue, Dec 22 2009 5:05 AM In reply to

Re: Anamorphic Red Footage

The anamorphic option in MetaFuze has to do with 16:9. For 2.40 anamorphic you will need to unsqueeze the picture in the Media Composer.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:48 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

16:9 will be 16:9 regardless of where it is being shown so there is no more unsqueezing to be done unless you apply a DVE to it. The issue is it needs to fit width within the 16:9 frame where you will see more letterbox. The existing MetaFuze uses an older SDK that did not have the WS in it. The update to MF uses the latest SDK and thus inherits latest color science and WS, etc.

Michael

24p.com

• Mon, Dec 26 2011 12:40 PM In reply to

• Revenger
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 11 2011
    • Estonia
    • Posts 74
    • Points 930

Hi,

I have RED material shot with the anamorphic lens. I'd like to convert RED files (Image Aspect Ratio 2.44) to DNxHD40 25fps using Metafuze.

When I open the RED clips in Avid (1080p/25 project) using AMA everything looks just right. The image is letterboxed, black bars on top and on the bottom of image. After transcoding RED in Avid the files look OK except I'd like to achieve the same result with the Metafuze.

When I transcode in Metafuze I end up having anamorphic files squeezed in 16:9 aspect ratio. No letterboxing. Of course I can reformat the clips later in timeline but it's really annoying to preview the wrong aspect ratio clips in source monitor. I've played around the Conversion Mode settings in Metafuze and Reformat bin settings in Avid but neither of these settings doesn't make the correct Letterboxed image.

I'm using the latest 2.5.0 Metafuze.

thank you,

Revenger

MC 2018.5; HP Z800; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Dual Quad-Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) X5570 @ 2.93GHz; 24GB (6 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ECC RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 (driver... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 26 2011 1:20 PM In reply to

There's an option determining the "Conversion Mode". That should take care of it. AFAIK, MetaFuze will display the result in its source/destination windows.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 26 2011 1:40 PM In reply to

• Revenger
    • Not Ranked
    • Estonia
    • Posts 74
    • Points 930

I tried to change settings under Conversion Mode but that doesn't help either :(

MC 2018.5; HP Z800; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Dual Quad-Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) X5570 @ 2.93GHz; 24GB (6 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ECC RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 (driver... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 6 2012 8:38 AM In reply to

If it was shot with an anamorphic lens, then I don't think MetaFuze nor MC allow for an automatic rescale of that. Maybe RedCine-X does?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 8 2012 10:37 AM In reply to

• Revenger
    • Not Ranked
    • Estonia
    • Posts 74
    • Points 930

Yes it is shot with anamorphic lens and MC allows automatic rescale. When AMAing these RED files Avid shows the correct letterboxed image. Also Avid shows correct Pixel Aspect Ratio in a bin column. I think the problem is that somehow MC can read the RED files metadata correctly and Metafuze cannot.

It's just dramatically slower to transcode the RED files in Avid. That's why I still prefer strongly the Metafuze. Plus I can keep editing while transcoding the material in the background.

Does anyone know if there will be any new releases of Metafuze in the future or is the developement stopped because everybody uses AMA these days?

thanks,

Revenger

• Wed, Jan 11 2012 7:43 PM In reply to

The development is still active. Since MetaFuze is used for file formats other than RED that Media Composer can not read (DPX, EXR...) I don't think everyone is using AMA :)

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller