Latest post Wed, Mar 17 2010 3:41 PM by Chris. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 3 2010 9:53 AM In reply to

• johnmiller
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 10 2009
    • Olive Branch, MS
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

Re: New Computer

Dear Media Composer Community,

I am back! And, I again have questions about video cards. Thank you again in advance for your help!

I am finding that video games do not seem to support the Quadro card. They support the NVIDIA GeForce cards and the Radeon cards. I am wanting to play video games, along with running Media Composer.

Here is a sample list of cards for Need for Speed:

• ATI
    • Radeon 9500 series
    • Radeon 9600 series
    • Radeon 9700 series
    • Radeon 9800 series
    • Radeon X550 series
    • Radeon X600 series
    • Radeon X700 series
    • Radeon X800 series
    • Radeon X850 series
    • Radeon X1300 series
    • Radeon X1600 series
    • Radeon X1800 series
    • Radeon X1900 series
    • Radeon HD 2400 series
    • Radeon HD 2600 series
    • Radeon HD 2900 series
    • Radeon HD 3400 series
    • Radeon HD 3600 series
    • Radeon HD 3800 series
    • Radeon HD 4800 series
    • Intel G45 Express Chipset
    • NVIDIA
    • GeForce 6600
    • GeForce 6800
    • GeForce 7 series
    • GeForce 8 series
    • GeForce 9 series
    • GeForce GTX 260
    • GeForce GTX 280

This list seems fairly consistent for the games I have looked up. So, my question is, can I still run Media Composer reasonably with a card other than Quadro?

Also, with Media Composer, my primary usage will be: 1.) Importing HDV or other high-definition footage, 2.) Cinematic-type editing (cuts, fades, etc.), 3.) Titles, 4.) Exporting to Blu-ray, etc. I do not anticipate using any more advanced functions than these.

So, my questions would be 1.) If not Quadro, would the NVIDIA GeForce or Radeon be better for Media Composer? 2.) What functions might I lose without a Quadro card? Is it mostly about speed? Or is it things such as full-screen playback, as mentioned previously?

Thank you again for your help!

• Wed, Feb 3 2010 10:22 AM In reply to

Hi,

johnmiller:
    I am wanting to play video games, along with running Media Composer.

My first advice would be to duck, because they whole world's about to take exception to the idea that you're going to use the same system for editing and playing games.  :)

My question to you is how important is it that this system work for editing all day every day?  In other words, do you intend to edit for paying clients to make money?  If the answer is yes, then get a QuadroFX card and don't load any games on the system, and disconnect it from the web.  Think of it as an editor, not a computer.

If, on the other hand, you're a hobbyist and you're going to edit your own projects, and you don't mind a bit of troubleshooting, go ahead and get one of the other nVidia cards (someone else will chime in with which specific ones work, or you could search the Media Composer forum for specific models to see if anyone's using them or had any trouble).  It might take a little messing around with drivers to get one of the non-Quadro cards to work, and loading game software might cause conflicts with Media Composer, but if you're reasonably good at tinkering with computers you should be able to sort it all out.

As for the specific questions about why Quadro cards and what do you lose if you use something else, hopefully one of the more techy guys will fill in those blanks.

good luck,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2019.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Feb 3 2010 12:17 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,595

My understanding is that Avid, specifically, tests Media Composer on a system with the specifications they require. They do no product testing or development on the plethora of video cards available. The reason for this is simple, to keep development costs down. Therefore, when they sell Media Composer and it's associated warrantee or product support, they can only support known hardware configurations. Therefore, any deviation from their specifications may very well work, but, any glitches, bugs, or hangs cannot be fault traced by customer support, and you will find no help for problems with video display.

Having said that, there's a few video card driver hacks out there that will make your non-speced Nvidia card look like a quadro, to the computer, and, work just peachy with AMC. So, bottom line, toss the dice and take yer chances.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Thu, Feb 4 2010 4:20 PM In reply to

• johnmiller
    • Not Ranked
    • Olive Branch, MS
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

Thank you for the responses! I do appreciate them.

Yes, basically I am a hobbyist at this point. If I was successful and transitioned to being a professional, I would probably build another machine dedicated to editing only.

I am guessing I will go with an GeForce card, most likely the highest-end card in my budget. I am guessing it should work fine, and I can just work whatever hacks and patches I need to for optimization.

This has been a very good learning experience for me! I would love to go with a Quadro, but if I can't play Guitar Hero and Need for Speed, I am going to freak! :-) For the first time, I am building a computer high-end enough that should play video games well, and I would love to do that.

If anyone wants me to update this board with my experiences using a non-Quadro card, I can most certainly provide those details.

Happy editing, folks!

• Mon, Feb 22 2010 5:39 AM In reply to

• johnmiller
    • Not Ranked
    • Olive Branch, MS
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

For anyone who is curious about the technical differences between the Quadro and GeForce GPU's, here is a good Whitepaper provided to me by NVIDIA Technical Support:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_geforce.html

In addition, here is what Manuel, one of their Technical Support representatives, said:

"If a software application is designed for use with a Quadro graphics card, you should really use a Quadro graphics card. I like to compare Geforce cards to sports cars and Quadro cars as heavy duty pick up trucks. They are designed for completely different markets although a Quadro card will still run games much like a truck will still get you from point A to point B.

Quadro graphics cards are designed for precision so they will run a tiny bit slower than an equivalent Geforce card but in workstation applications suited for it, a Quadro card will perform much faster than a Geforce card and in addition, some software may use certain workstation features not available in mainstream consumer Geforce graphics cards."

Hope this is helpful!

I have to admit that it is still tempting to consider using the Quadro in my new computer! We will see. This document did help me to understand the Quadro better.

• Mon, Feb 22 2010 10:02 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

Thank You for the above info; other than requiring a given video card, games mess around with the DirectX and OpenGL engines, not to mention that nobody knows about interactions between MC and multiple installs of videogames: I'd suggest getting an affordable Quadro 580 for MC and a separate PlayStation for gaming; I'm not mad for videogames but have to deal with them having a 14 years old kid and believe me: the damn things will run better and easier on a console, videogames on the PC are a mess at best even for computer skilled people, while they run out of the box on gaming consoles.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Mar 6 2010 2:49 AM In reply to

• johnmiller
    • Not Ranked
    • Olive Branch, MS
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

Dear Avid Community,

To continue the research I have done on the Quadro vs. GeForce GPU's, I wanted to add my latest correspondance with the NVIDIA Support Staff. It turned out to be very interesting, and I hope the information is useful to you folks.

==> My Message to NVIDIA:

Thank you very much for your response! I do appreciate it. It does sound like the Quadro is my best bet for what I want to do. I am looking at the Quadro FX 580, since that is in my price range.

The whole video game concern stems from reading the "Supported Chipset" listings in System Requirements for a game like Guitar Hero:

http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/93

Or, for "Need for Speed":

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...30191515AAZzP45

I just want to make sure that I can play games like these, even if there is some degraded performance. Furthermore, I want to make sure I do not get a "video card not supported" message when running games.

Thank you again for your help! I do appreciate it.

==> NVIDIA's Response:

For the most part, it should work fine. I have a QuadroFX graphics card in my main system at home (QuadroFX 4800) and I have yet to experience any problems with games. There is a profile in the NVIDIA Control Panel which you can select to make it more Geforce like. Also, keep in the that in games, the QuadroFX 580 will perform on par with a Geforce 9500.

==> My Thoughts:

It is interesting that you can basically use the NVIDIA Control Panel and have your Quadro act more like a GeForce when you want it to! Should be interesting to try that out.

• Wed, Mar 17 2010 3:41 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 10 2010
    • Arnhem, The Netherlands
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Hallo John,

I wonder if you have bought a graph. card yet or are you still in doubt?

Greetings,

Chris

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller