Latest post Sun, Jan 10 2010 2:07 AM by Marianna. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 8 2010 8:18 AM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,384
    • Points 220,510
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Tutorial: Creating Place Holders - A Glance

I have been hearing a lot about Placeholders and Place Holders recently, so I thought I should take a closer look at them.

I had never really thought about them before.

I hope that this tutorial will cast some light on the topic.

Regards,
    Douglas

This tutorial can be viewed at "Full-screen" by clicking on the icon on the toolbar

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Jan 8 2010 10:39 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,384
    • Points 220,510
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Creating Place Holders - A Glance

Well, so much for my first "glance" at place holders.

I received a very interesting email from a friend in New Zealand, who has lots of experience in using place holders. (I have about 1 hour of experience!)

I will be uploading a second chapter to the Place holder tutorial based on his good advice and suggestions.

Hopefully it should be online by Sunday............ but who am I to speculate..... hehehehehe

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:48 AM In reply to

Douglas,

You are right that Marks Out are inclusive, so if you're in the source monitor and you want to select 1m40, you will need to Mark In, advance 1m39s29 and Mark Out.

However, if you are in the timeline and you want to use Add Edits every five seconds, you must realise that the Add Edit button is exclusive. So in order to split into 5 second segments, you will need to type +5.00, then Add Edit. In your tutorial, you are dividing the longer clip into 4s29f segments rather than 5s segments. If you were to select to display Clip Durations on the timeline, you would see it displayed there as well.

Lastly, rather than using ALT-Enter, you may use numerical enter, without ALT, to repeat the previous advancement. Works in Trim Mode as well, by the way.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:01 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,384
    • Points 220,510
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks for that feedback, Job

Very useful information for me and anyone else reading this thread.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sun, Jan 10 2010 2:07 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,384
    • Points 220,510
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Job ter Burg:

Douglas,

You are right that Marks Out are inclusive, so if you're in the source monitor and you want to select 1m40, you will need to Mark In, advance 1m39s29 and Mark Out.

However, if you are in the timeline and you want to use Add Edits every five seconds, you must realise that the Add Edit button is exclusive. So in order to split into 5 second segments, you will need to type +5.00, then Add Edit. In your tutorial, you are dividing the longer clip into 4s29f segments rather than 5s segments. If you were to select to display Clip Durations on the timeline, you would see it displayed there as well.

Lastly, rather than using ALT-Enter, you may use numerical enter, without ALT, to repeat the previous advancement. Works in Trim Mode as well, by the way.

Job, I have since edited this Tutorial.
    However your points (which in some cases referred to the original tutorial) are still useful and valid.

I am posting this explanation in case some viewer who only sees the new version may wonder what you were referring to.

? Did that come over correctly ? Huh?

Regards Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller