Latest post Thu, Jan 26 2006 1:34 PM by Larry Rubin. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 23 2006 8:22 PM

• eyeqjim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago & Burbs (Geneva)
    • Posts 167
    • Points 2,230

Thumb nails not generating

We have an Adrenaline running from an HP xw8200 or 8000 (something like that number)...I opened the Boris Red (Avid FX Studio) and noticed the thumbs were not generating like my Xpress Pro Studio at home. Do I need to do something? The Icons are black with a text read of what effects they are...they work, they just do not "do anything" when you look at them...I know they should as my Avid Xpress Studio runs like a champ and the effects give you some idea of what you will see. Any Help?

Cheers! James

Avid Media Composer 7.0 / Dell T3500 3.4 processor Six Core / 24gb memory / Quadro 2000 Gcard / Matrox mini with Max /Windows 7pro 64bt /2tb hdd, Dual... [view my complete system specs]

Cheers!

• Mon, Jan 23 2006 8:52 PM In reply to

Re: Thumb nails not generating

Not sure about Boris Red, but on Boris F/X 7.0 plug-in version to AVID, after installing the app., apply a transitional effect from the Boris group in the effects palette to your AVID timeline, then open the Boris interface from the options tab on the effect editor.  Now click on the library browser icon in the track selector part of the timeline window.  You should now have a "library browser" dialog window.  In the upper left hand side directly under the preview monitor you will see a pair of buttons in the middle that identify as "generate thumbnails" and "animate thumbnail previews".  With a transition effect applied between two video clips in your AVID timeline, Boris will use the last frame of the outgoing clip and the first frame of the incoming clip as A and B images for the preview, so select these images carefully.  I recommend you make sure there is a significant composition difference between the two ( like a talking head and a b-roll shot).  Hopefully, RED has a similar or identical interface. Generating thumbnails for all effects will take approximately 25 minutes.

HTH

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 24 2006 8:11 PM In reply to

• eyeqjim
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 167
    • Points 2,230

Yeah...but what is crazy here is that I have Xpress Pro Studio at home...when I open the effects selection, they all are generating without having to "generate thumbs" and waiting 25mins. Why should the Adrenaline take so long to generate a small selction of pre-made effects when the Xpress does it upon turning my system on? There has to be a faster way., otherwise I wouldn't have the Xpress Pro doing more for less when clearly the Adremaline should be the "bomb"!

Cheers! James

ANY OTHER HELP PLEASE?

Avid Media Composer 7.0 / Dell T3500 3.4 processor Six Core / 24gb memory / Quadro 2000 Gcard / Matrox mini with Max /Windows 7pro 64bt /2tb hdd, Dual... [view my complete system specs]

Cheers!

• Wed, Jan 25 2006 6:31 PM In reply to

James:

Generating thumbnails for Boris effects is a ONE TIME ONLY need when the application is installed.  If you're saying that your system is generating thumbnails every time you enter the application, something is very wrong.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jan 25 2006 7:50 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Are you sure Larry ?

In the library briwser, there is a button called "Generate Thumbnails"

Select the folder in which are the FX, hit this button and all thumbnails appear !!!

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Wed, Jan 25 2006 8:52 PM In reply to

Sep:

Yes, it has always worked for me that way in Boris F/X 7.0 (I don't have RED).  When I installed it, I generated thumbnails and animated the thumbnails for all effect groups (that's why it takes about 25 minutes for the process).  But I only had to do that once after the installation.  Then, any time I would apply a Boris effect and go to the Boris interface, the animated thumbnails would still be there...no need to regenerate them, nor would the system attempt to regenerate them on it's own.  If anyone's Boris app is attempting to regenerate thumbnails AFTER they have be initially generated on install, there is a deeper problem with the software.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jan 25 2006 10:23 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Can't say if it is normal or not, but on our Xpress Pro, Boris RED, sometimes, needs to regenerate the thumbnails.

I'll take a look at MCA tomorow (Avid Fx)

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Thu, Jan 26 2006 4:48 AM In reply to

• eyeqjim
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 167
    • Points 2,230

I will re-install the application and generate the thumbs...a one time 25min load in is acceptable to me. But I have hit the generate thumbs on the page listed above and when I return to the Boris application (say about an hour later ) with a new effect to be created, the thumbs are all dead (black with some type on them). I know when I loaded Xpress Pro at home, this was an automatic feature becuase I never had to generate the thumbs separately. Thanks for the info...very helpful and I'll start the generate first thing Friday...I have an edit tomorrow!

Cheers! James

Cheers!

• Thu, Jan 26 2006 1:34 PM In reply to

OK Jim, I think I know what the root of your problem is.  In order for thumbnails to be generated with outgoing and incoming images instead of just a black field with type text, you need, before you generate thumbnails, to apply a Boris transition effect between two video clips in your Avid timeline.  The last frame of the outgoing video clip and the first frame of the incoming video clip will be the A and B images in your thumbnail effect preview.  I recommend that the outgoing and incoming images be radically different (for example, one is a talking head and the other is a b roll shot). 

Good luck and let me know how it works out.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller