Latest post Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:15 PM by SkatEdit. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 26 2010 1:45 AM

• SkatEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 50

Export HD 2hr Timeline

Hey everybody!

Having quite a few issues attempting to export a 2hr HD timeline to later burn to DVD. I have tried straight to quicktime, video mixdowns, quicktime ref, transcoding to DNxHD, and still getting nowhere. Small clips seem to work but not the whole thing.

Has anybody figured out the best workflow / settings for exporting a large timeline like this? Obvious concerns are export time, and optimal picture quality.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help!

2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6, MC 4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 26 2010 2:24 AM In reply to

Re: Export HD 2hr Timeline

SkatEdit:
    Small clips seem to work but not the whole thing

Maybe you don't have enough disk space for it to complete?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Feb 26 2010 2:50 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 587
    • Points 7,000

What error messages are you getting?

What sort of media are you working with? HDV, XDCAM, DVCProHD, DV?

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 26 2010 7:55 AM In reply to

Same-As-Source QT Exports in my experience are fast and reliable when exporting long seqs.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 26 2010 9:30 AM In reply to

I recently exported a 1 hour HD sequence. I rendered all the effects. I exported at Pro Res 422. It worked really well but it made a quicktime movie of around 450 gigs in size. So I reckon that your quicktime movie will be around 1 tb. Sam as source is good too but you need to make sure that wherever it's going to end up has the Avid codecs for quicktime.

System 1: Macbook Pro Retina2.6Ghz i7 OSX 10.11.6 8gigs RAM Nablet 4.5.5 Media Composer 2018.11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 27 2010 9:10 PM In reply to

I recently exported a one hour 57 min. sequence as a same-as-source QT. The first try, I immediately got a warning that there was not enough space on the target drive. (I had only 174 gigs available and the file would be 178). I got a bigger FW drive and had no problem from there. It took about 2 hours.

My point is that if the OP's problem weren't enough drive space, MC would have quickly told him so. Perhaps it's a matter of matching QT versions.

I'm running MC 4.0.5 on a dual-quad Mac Pro with SL. The footage was DV.

CPU - i7 2600K, GPU - NVidia Quadro 600, Ram - 8GB DDR3 1600, 500GB boot drive, 1.5 TB Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 28 2010 5:56 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

Can you elaborate as to what kind of timeline you are trying to export?

A little detail of your workflow might be useful

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:15 PM In reply to

• SkatEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 50

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

Success !! I finally got this thing figured out resulting in a reasonably fast export and a high quality finished product.

Here are the steps I took for exporting the 2hrs of HD footage to DVD.

1: Perform video mix-down to DNxHD 115 Codec [4 hrs]  *note - no need to render before step 1*

2: Perform audio mix-down. [3 mins]

3: Create new sequence and drop A/V mix-downs on the timeline.

4: Export as QT Ref native dimensions. [2 mins]

5: Drop the QT Ref . Mov file in the Toast burn window.

The finished product came out looking very clean including titles. File size was not an issue as it came out as a QT Ref (very small). This is by far the best way i've found to do this with no errors and no 12 hr exports.

Big thanks to everyone that contributed!!

2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6, MC 4 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller