Latest post Tue, Mar 1 2011 3:39 PM by Scott Carnegie. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 2 2010 9:36 PM

• RichRenner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 2 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

PDZ-1 metadata to MC v4

Is there any way to log footage in Sony PDZ-1 and export your comments and metadata to Avid?  There are no Avid headings that seem to read PDZ-1 comments or essence marks (in/out). 

Avid's Sony_XDCAM_Workflow_Guide states that you can export selects from the PDZ-1 to Avid ALE which can import to Avid and fill a bin with clips.  But when I write anything back to XDCAM HD disk on a U1 drive, and then import the XDCAM proxy to Avid, my comments, etc do not appear in any bin headings.  Has anyone done this with Sony's logging software?

• Sun, Mar 14 2010 2:01 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,251
    • Points 27,805
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: PDZ-1 metadata to MC v4

AMA reads all of the MetaData added to the XDCAM HD disk. Using the Proxy Workflow only the essence marks and good shot flags are read. Paul Sampson wrote an excellent guide on how to use the PDZ-1 software.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Thu, Mar 18 2010 8:18 PM In reply to

• RichRenner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 2 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thanks Bob.  Unfortunately, we haven't been able to incorporate AMA into our workflow.  We do a weekly magazine show consisting of four segments.  So each week we have four different segment producers working on stand-alone AVIDs with limited drive space at various locations.  Each segment is cut using proxies, then disks and .avb sequences are sent to us where we conform (importing only the edited clips at 220) on MC Adrenaline that also has limited space for all the media AMA would bring in.  The workflow is good for us, except we are tying up our AVID to log...would like to figure out how to log using PDZ-1 and continue to use our current workflow. 

Filed under: , , ,
  • Thu, Mar 18 2010 8:44 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,251
    • Points 27,805
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

When XDCAM HD is imported the video resolution dialog is ignored. Are you transcoding the XDCAM HD in the Adrenaline?

AMA does a Link-To, the media is not imported.  With XDCAM HD it plays the clips right from the disk. At this point the high res clips can be consolidated or transcoded from the disk to a drive. Later the clips in the sequence can be relinked to the disk if needed.

MediaLog is for Tape Based sources and will not work with file based media. For file based media via AMA Avid has added support for the metadata added via the camera logging software. With XDCAM HD this is the PDZ-1 software on Windows.

The PDZ-1 software is very powerful and does allow for the creation of an Edit List and the ability to export the Edit List as an AAF. When the AAF is imported it will create a sequence with clips. So not using AMA this can be batch imported and only the high res media will be imported.

Paul's document covers this in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 3:39 PM In reply to

BobRusso:

Paul Sampson wrote an excellent guide on how to use the PDZ-1 software.

Needed this today, here is an updated link.

http://www.paul-sampson.ca/MyWebSiteStuff/PDF/SONY%20PDZ-1.pdf

:: Work - Symphony Nitris DX 3.5.1, HP xw8600 :: Home - Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU 8GB G.Skill DDR3 7-7-7 1600 Ram Asus P5E3 Pro NVidia Quadro FX... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller