Latest post Tue, Apr 20 2010 2:46 PM by dmax. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 3 2010 1:49 PM

RED files rendered in timeline - loosing render caches?

Hello,

i tried for first time in 10.3 to work with RED files.

After linking my RED files into DS I rendered my timeline - everything is fine so far.

After applying a color correction onto a clip unrenders the clip. I tried with RGB and YUV422 sequences.

Is this the normal behaviour in DS?

Thanks for any ideas.

Juergen

• Wed, Mar 3 2010 2:43 PM In reply to

• GusC
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,565

Re: RED files rendered in timeline - loosing render caches?

Juergen,

It does the same thing here.  Is there a reason you are linking instead of capturing?

• Wed, Mar 3 2010 2:52 PM In reply to

Hi,

I have to be more exact about what I have done and discovered -sorry.

When linking RED files I edited them into a 1080p timeline.

RED files are 2048x1024 2:1 therefore when scaling them through MediaConversionPreset there are some dark grey stripes at top and bottom left. Rendering this as it is, and adding a realtimeeffect has to be rerendered.

My solution so far is to add a crop effect on the clip before rendering - and then I can apply a realtime effect.

When using tis RED files in a RED 2k 2:1 RGB 444 timeline with realtime proxy on, then I can apply a realtime effect without this crop effect workaround.

Greetings

Juergen

• Wed, Mar 3 2010 2:55 PM In reply to

Hi GusC,

the reason for this is I want to have  a non destructive accces to the RED files in case I want to change preproccesing settings in the RED SDK for a specific clip.

• Thu, Mar 4 2010 1:14 AM In reply to

This is expected in film size sequences with captured media. If you're working in HD or smaller size, including real time proxy, color correction preset should not unrender the clips.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

Filed under:
  • Thu, Mar 4 2010 9:43 AM In reply to

Hi Igor,

you are right this is something I did not expect, but it happens. Only wayaround for me is to create a "real HD resolution" with a crop or DVE effect on the clips before rendering LINKED RED files. Another benefit of this is the black "letterbox" on top and bottom (2:1 material vs 16:9) in my resulting pictures are turning from 10 percent grey to a real black.

I am not happy about this workflow but it is a workaround.

Greetings from Munich

Juergen

• Thu, Mar 4 2010 3:11 PM In reply to

• GusC
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,565

JuergenPertack:

Hi GusC,

the reason for this is I want to have  a non destructive accces to the RED files in case I want to change preproccesing settings in the RED SDK for a specific clip.

With RED files, you can 'recapture' the clip and you will be prompted as to whether or not you want to modify settings.

• Thu, Mar 4 2010 3:42 PM In reply to

Hello GusC,

there must be a trick - when I recapture the clip without purging before, DS does nothing - all media already available - purging media and recapturing it starts recapturing without any access to settings. Is there another possibilty?

Thanks

Juergen

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 2:46 PM In reply to

• dmax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 4 2009
    • Dublin, Ireland
    • Posts 29
    • Points 355

Hi Juergen,

This feature seems broken at the moment when in a 4:2:2 sequence. A workaround is to jump into a 4:4:4 sequence. Hopefully this will be fixed soon...

Cheers,

Dec

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller