Latest post Thu, Mar 4 2010 2:03 AM by Twelvemonkey1. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:11 PM

Master footage in 720p 23.976, Finishing in SD

Hello All,

I'm trying to figure out the proper workflow for this project. The majority of our footage was shot on P2 in 720p 23.976 format before the decision was made to be finished for broadcast TV. The plan will be to finish into standard def format. We are editing in the down converted 23.976 while also importing archival footage through beta tape format. My question is: what exactly will need to be done once we get to finishing. We obviously will not do anything with the P2 but does the archival footage still need to be converted into the matching framerate when we uprez? Or do we actually have to convert the P2 and how should we do it? Will we be able to directly output to Digibeta via 23.976 framerate be broadcast at 30i? Is there anything else I should prepare to make sure this gets out the proper way.

We will be finishing on a Symphony Nitris DX with version 3.1.3 installed (or a Symphony Nitris with 3.5.1 installed)

Any advice is much appreciated

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Thu, Mar 4 2010 1:35 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: Master footage in 720p 23.976, Finishing in SD

Is the NTSC material NTSC with 23.976 + pulldown or is it interlace based source material? Also, which version of MC are you on? v4 allows for mix and match frame rates quite nicely to facilitate this process.

Michael

24p.com

• Thu, Mar 4 2010 2:03 AM In reply to

Re: Master footage in 720p 23.976, Finishing in SD

The material is mainly interlaced based. (footage transferred to beta or on beta from DVD or old library footage) I see on most of the footage, the ghosting effect or a jittery type look, which leads me to believe that it's not in 23.976 + pulldown, though some of the old film based footage doesn't have quite the same effect.

We're using pre 4 version so it doesn't leave us the option to mix the frame rates, though I have seen it work and was astonished the ability to

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller