Latest post Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:52 AM by EP@KMP. 232 replies.
Page 13 of 16 (233 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 11 2010 5:20 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

Re: Avid Marketing (DS) vs. Autodesk Marketing

Yet another round of Spam from Foundry & autod this week.. new tutorials for Nuke including a face replacement, live webcast for schmooke aimed at FCP & MC users + an invitation to send i your best work for autod's on line demo reel.. then maybe they won't have to use shows done in DS for pitching schmoke?

And from Avid marketing? Zip, nada, Nutt'n, Zero, Ziltch...

<shakes head in wonder>

And Dave says he's OK with this...

<shakes head one more time>

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 19 2010 3:39 AM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

So i'm in transit today... 14 hours in a tincan, and here i am in the Hong Kong airport, check my emails and see 108 emails from CML about Canon5D & House, most questions are about what & how much work was done in post.

On the DS google list at the same time Derrick Herr has discussed the details as he is the one who did the work, and the workflow... there's allot of speculation and just plain wrong info floating about... already someone has posted about the plugs for Flame that could do the job... so wrong on so many levels....

Now the thing is.. if derrick had worked on a AD product, this would have been every where, splattered across every forum, every board, spammed into every living creature's inbox...

Why, why, why when DS does something groundbreaking, artistically successful, and soaked in total buzz.. why is this being ignored?

DS should be seen as the finishing tool of choice for ANY D5/7D project... but instead we have a vacuum for misinformation to rise to the top... by next week it will have been cut on FCP & finished on a McSchmooke... and silence still reigns supreme...

Really.. Mr opportunity meet Avid DS marketing, Avid DS marketing meet Mr opportunity...

<again>

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 19 2010 9:05 AM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,585
    • Moderator: Avid DS

dermot:
    check my emails and see 108 emails from CML about Canon5D & House, most questions are about what & how much work was done in post.

dermot:
    ... there's a lot of speculation and just plain wrong info floating about... already someone has posted about the plugs for Flame that could do the job... so wrong on so many levels....

You may have noticed that I gently dropped in the fact that it was finished on DS.  I have to be careful on CML because it's so strictly moderated, and with no other marketing back-up from Avid I think my post got lost in the general mêlée.

So the disinformation continues to fill the vacuum left by Avid's non-marketing of this story.

Tony

• Wed, May 19 2010 10:45 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Just skimmed my way through this thread, and it's all sadly familiar...

We all know Avid makes fantastic products, because we use them every day, but Avid just doesn't do a great job of telling other people about them.

They've picked up the ball a little in the last 6 months or so with Media Composert, but even there it's no where near the noise level that Apple and Autodesk marketeers make.

The House thing is huge - the House 5D Finale is the biggest thing in the indie film world, and even the pro world, but despite having seens literally hundreds of tweets and quite a few blog posts, this is the first time I've heard that Avid DS was involved.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Wed, May 19 2010 11:41 AM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,585

Sycophant:
    this is the first time I've heard that Avid DS was involved

What's even sadder is that Derek Herr the online editor (plus others) sent this information to Marianna some weeks ago.  She passed the info on to Marketing and...

... well, you'll know how the rest of the story pans out.

Tony

• Wed, May 19 2010 2:32 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Tone is a "moderator"? Now that's funny! :-0

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, May 19 2010 2:45 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

TCurren:

Like Frank Capria as a Final Cut L2 moderator!

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, May 19 2010 2:59 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

I can attest that Autodesk is very aggressive in promoting Smoke-Mac. I, too, have recently been contacted in their outreach to the FCP community.

One of the big differences seems to be that Autodesk is very active with its user community in helping promote their systems. Autodesk is happy to provide a conduit for the natural evangelists for the products. Avid does to some degree, but not nearly to the same extent that Autodesk does. This is really the key.

Right now Avid has a very small window opened by the positive vibe from MC5. They probably only have a few months to capitalize on this. If Apple kicks in late in the year with even a moderate update of FCS/FCP, the marketing momentum is going to shift to Apple. Autodesk benefits from this connection because Smoke-Mac is the logical complement to FCP for those users who want more advanced features.

- Oliver

• Wed, May 19 2010 3:10 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

OliverPeters:
    One of the big differences seems to be that Autodesk is very active with its user community in helping promote their systems.

Especially in education.  I am in the process of installing my free (for one year) McSmoke license here at the VCU Brandcenter.  Autodesk has been on top of it and will help facilitate seminars for my students on the high end post process and how its products fit.  Note that we are not a film school but churning out advertisers.  I guess the way Autodesk sees it that they can put the McSmoke buzz into these kids now, they will remember out in the real world in the future.  Attack the situation from the both ends: the editor and the agency side.  Smart.

OliverPeters:
    Right now Avid has a very small window opened by the positive vibe from MC5. They probably only have a few months to capitalize on this. If Apple kicks in late in the year with even a moderate update of FCS/FCP, the marketing momentum is going to shift to Apple.

Lets see if the buzz ramps back up on release.  There is a window of opportunity, but nothing Avid marketing is doing gives me confidence that the company will take advantage of that opening.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, May 19 2010 3:11 PM In reply to

• GusC
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,565

tonyjover:

She passed the info on to Marketing and...

They probably contacted the offline editor and wanted to know how well MC5 would have cut footage that was digitized from tapes that were made from 5D.  Not that Avid marketing would ever do that...Confused

• Wed, May 19 2010 3:46 PM In reply to

• Scott Roy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

tonyjover:

Sycophant:
    this is the first time I've heard that Avid DS was involved

What's even sadder is that Derek Herr the online editor (plus others) sent this information to Marianna some weeks ago.  She passed the info on to Marketing and...

Tony

Just to clarify, marketing has reached out to him and he has responded.... Unfortunatley there are alot of approvals that have to happen on such a high profile show (which we can all understand) that are being worked out at the moment.  Derek is one of the nicest guys I've spoken to recently and is very passionate about DS...If they can get somthing together it would be a great story....already is in my mind, just needs some more visibility.....

Scott Roy

• Wed, May 19 2010 4:03 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Gary talks about DS here:

http://www.studiodaily.com/blog/?p=3236

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, May 19 2010 4:14 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,585

TCurren:

You watch I don't delete your ass Stick out tongue

• Wed, May 19 2010 4:16 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,585

Scott Roy:
    Just to clarify, marketing has reached out to him and he has responded....

Yes.  Desperately, desperately late.  Next week it will be old news.  Avid should have been all over this weeks ago.

Tony

• Wed, May 19 2010 4:21 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,585

TCurren:
    Gary talks about DS here:

Talk is cheap.  Sorry, but it is. 

"This community is important to us" Sure it is.  Wake me up when you do something.

Tony

Page 13 of 16 (233 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller