Latest post Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:29 PM by trevache. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 1 2010 9:56 PM

• trevache
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 26 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

No video playback in Source/Record Monitors

Just joined the forums, so I haven't had the chance to post my complete system specs, but I've ran into an issue with a recent Vista install on an xw8200.  I knew before going into this that this particular setup wasn't supported, but I had no choice other than to try and configure together a 64-bit system (we do long-form documentaries and memory is a consistent obstacle when finishing programs).  I started off with the original card (nVidia Quadro FX 3400), bumped the memory up to 8GB, disabled all the Vista perks until it was running in Classic mode, didn't update the OS just yet, and installed Sympony (with the Nitris Class BOB).  It proved to be too unstable, so I purchased a new Quadro FX 3700.  All of the stability issues have seemingly gone away (no OpenGL or ACPL conflicts, etc.), but desktop video playback is still missing.  Checking the console, I see the error during startup "Desktop Video  setup failed (most likely due to display hardware model or driver version)."  Understandable.  So there's no video playback in my source/record monitors, as a result.  Client monitor works fine, audio playback is fine.  The odd thing is when I drift a bin over a portion of the source/record monitor or push them slightly offscreen, the border around the monitors will flash a few times and then play back the video fine.  I'm familiar with the flashing border around the monitor, but within the context of this install, does anyone have an idea why I would be getting palyback under these circumstances when I can't get it normally?  I've got the recommended drivers installed (169.47) and haven't done much in terms of installing more recent or more outdated drivers; I wanted to see if anyone here knew exactly what fix I was looking for.  I've got a sneaking suspicion it has something to do with the Video Overlay settings, but don't know where to go to troubleshoot them.  Updating the CPU is out-of-the-question and updating to 3.5 won't work without significant expense and great difficulty/adjustment.  Any help would be much appreciated.

• Fri, Apr 2 2010 12:04 AM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,255
    • Points 27,835
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: No video playback in Source/Record Monitors

What version are you running? I'm going to guess 3.x, if so, what exact version?

My only suggestion is to disable the nVidia Driver Helper Service.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Apr 2 2010 12:37 AM In reply to

• trevache
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Running 3.0.5.  Disabling the nVidia Driver Helper Service is indeed something I failed to do with this recent card install.

• Fri, Apr 2 2010 1:42 AM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,255
    • Points 27,835
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

You latest version you can run is 3.1.3.2. It can be downloaded here.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Sun, Apr 4 2010 8:31 AM In reply to

And make sure you're running the proper version of QT for the version of MC you'll be using. I believe for 3.1.3.2 it's 7.5.5.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:29 PM In reply to

• trevache
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Disabled the nVidia Driver Helper Service, installed 3.1.3.2 Symphony, and updated QT to 7.5.5 to no avail.  Any other suggestions from out there before I try updating the nVidia driver?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller