Latest post Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:33 AM by OliverPeters. 71 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:09 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 5 is coming...ProRes / H.264 / R3D Support!!

grafixjoe:
    does MC5 include support for capture devices from AJA (Kona Series / IO HD) & Blackmagic?Are those ProRes / H.264 files gonna have Avid proprietary code on then that only Avid hardware can read?

No, and no.

The Matrox boxes can be used for monitoring only, no additional hardware I/O is being introduced.  You must continue to use Avid DNA or DX boxes for that.

The Quicktimes are regular-ol' FCP ProRes or any h.264 flavor, like footage shot on the Canon 5D or 7D.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:12 PM In reply to

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

Did everyone in this thread actually join the forum on Thu, Oct 13 2005 or is that a glitch  Wink

HOME STUDIO: Macbook Pro 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB RAM / AMD Radeon HD 6750M / OS 10.6.8. / Apple Final Cut Studio / Adobe Production Premium CS6 ... [view my complete system specs]

Joey Morelli

Senior Video Editor / Compositor

EA Sports

www.easports.com

"IMAGINATION is EVERYTHING. It is the preview to life's Coming Attractions" - Albert Einstein

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:13 PM In reply to

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

You must continue to use Avid DNA or DX boxes for that.

Aw crap. That's what I was hoping for. Oh well.

HOME STUDIO: Macbook Pro 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB RAM / AMD Radeon HD 6750M / OS 10.6.8. / Apple Final Cut Studio / Adobe Production Premium CS6 ... [view my complete system specs]

Joey Morelli

EA Sports

www.easports.com

"IMAGINATION is EVERYTHING. It is the preview to life's Coming Attractions" - Albert Einstein

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:14 PM In reply to

Looks like a glitch.  That is when the forums first started, IIRC.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:20 PM In reply to

grafixjoe:

Did everyone in this thread actually join the forum on Thu, Oct 13 2005 or is that a glitch  Wink

Actually, everyone who was a Forum member on the old, unmoderated Forum site was transitioned over to the current incarnation on it's launch date - October 13, 2005. So there are several of us whose membership considerably pre-dates that calendar date.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:25 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,555

Lots to be excited about with this new version, but should I get excited about drag-and-drop?  Right now I just press a key (V or B); what could be simpler than that?  I'm not arguing... just asking.

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:31 PM In reply to

mhamilton:

Lots to be excited about with this new version, but should I get excited about drag-and-drop?  Right now I just press a key (V or B); what could be simpler than that?  I'm not arguing... just asking.

Malcolm

My guess is this is Avid's way of reaching out to former Liquid users who have been very vocal about their desire to have an easy "drag and drop" alternative to the keyboard, which clearly some new users prefer. That's the beauty of Avid overall - many, many techniques to achieve the same result. Just a matter of which one is most comfortable for you. And I'm with you when I say, give me the B key and V key any day! But that's just me and my preference.

Kudos, Avid for proving you've been listening!

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:33 PM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

As I said in the PC thread - this really blurs the line between FCP v Avid - literally eliminates the line. Lost cost capture - use the MXO into FCP - now you have the choice of two, powerful, editing platforms to choose from. Continue in FCP or import into Avid (easier than before) and edit there.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:59 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

This is an interesting idea. You could capture bins into FCP, transfer the project using Automatic Duck to the Avid, correct?

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 8:05 PM In reply to

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

this is Avid's way of reaching out to former Liquid users who have been very vocal about their desire to have an easy "drag and drop" alternative to the keyboard, which clearly some new users prefer.

I disagree...this is Avid's direct aim at FCP users (there are millions more FCP users than Liquid users). I wouldn't be in here if it weren't (got me right between the eyes). Some of you know me here from years ago as an AVID Avid user (was even one of you Mods for a while). Last 7 years = FCP only. Faster / easier = period (IMHO). Drag & Drop timeline is HUUUUUGE in my editing style. I set "I" & "O" and pull the cut down into the timeline...sliding / shifting. That's how I prefer to work. Avid was never like that...until now. FCP Users are already talking about switching back to Avid because of it (I know, because I am a FCP Moderator on another forum). I am no troll either...I recognize a good opportunity and I believe Avid just took a step in the right direction (for me) for the first time in 7 years. Bravo. Hope there is more good news to come!!

This is an exciting time for ALL of us when this happens. COMPETITION CREATES OPPORTUNITY. It means that Apple now has to "sh** or get off the pot" with the Final Cut Studio upgrades or they may lose some of their following.

Joey Morelli

EA Sports

www.easports.com

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 8:08 PM In reply to

conleec:

This is an interesting idea. You could capture bins into FCP, transfer the project using Automatic Duck to the Avid, correct?

Chris

Correct, in theory, and I'll be testing that exact workflow in the near future at TPC as we now have 2 FPC platforms with projects we want to move to Avid.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 9:30 PM In reply to

The announcements all look great. As for rthe R3d volume mounting, it's one of those things that will be much better in theory than practice. It's going to be fairly sluggish or not full quality. If you have a Red Rocket in your facility you will be very well served by transcoding and importing.

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:06 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

If there is a sluggishness when working with the r3d files via AMA, I wonder if there will be the option to use the MC's consolidate/transcode tool to make whatever you want to run at optimum speed. Then if that is the case, will we be able to relink back to the native files for the final output. Hmmmm... so many things to find out and try. But just even being able to ask this type of question with MC and RED in mind is making me a happy editor. Viva Avid!

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:14 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

Does anyone know if 5.0 requires an upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:19 PM In reply to

kellyv:
    Does anyone know if 5.0 requires an upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Yes.

-- Kevin

Page 2 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller