Latest post Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:33 AM by OliverPeters. 71 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:22 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 5 is coming...ProRes / H.264 / R3D Support!!

Yes. See the system requirements.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:46 PM In reply to

• frosty70
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 240
    • Points 2,600

Curious if anyone knows if beta testing was done with Mojo SDI?

MC 6 / Mojo SDI / Mac Pro 2.66 / 7 GB RAM / SATA Raids // Meridien Xpress 5.2.4 / G4 / Avid LVD Raids [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 11:15 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

"Mix and match frame sizes and aspect ratios — in addition to formats, frame rates, and resolutions — in the same timeline"

Let's say I'm working HD 1920X1080. Import a frame that is 4k. Can I blow up on the image and retain sharpness? Like a non-destructive app? Or does it still resize the image to whatever the project is set to?

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:53 AM In reply to

• ajcatoline
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 29
    • Points 410

Yes this is the talk at our TV show editing office today.  FCP could now in theory be used for digitizing and Story Dept. to make rough stringouts.  Then not even use Duck just use an EDL to import into Avid and do the editing on Avid.

New Mac Pro Trash Can 3.5 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 (Ivy Bridge) Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K Avid MC 7.03 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 13 2010 1:00 AM In reply to

• ajcatoline
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 29
    • Points 410

Thanks Kevin,

As a long time Mojo owner who just traded my Mojo SDI in for the MOJO DX in Janurary (to the tune of $4995 a great deal) I am happy Avid is honoring and respecting its hardware customers.  To clarify just the Matrox mini box will be supported with MC5, so that the next Matrox product up (that has HD/SDI I/O) won't "canabalize" the whole point of the MOJO DX.  Am I correct?  Thanks!

New Mac Pro Trash Can 3.5 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 (Ivy Bridge) Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K Avid MC 7.03 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 13 2010 5:28 AM In reply to

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

$5000 for a Mojo? For a Tape bridge? Ouch. Technology is better these days...

The beauty thing is our Studio is barely using tape anymore because of the absolutely brilliant Ki Pro ($3995). We have 2 for the Game Capture Stations (4 more units are on order) and everyone that has a computer gets their own drive with a backup. We are moving extremely hi quality ProRes files so fast via FW800 ports...can't imagine how we got along without it...now hardly using our Kona3 cards in our towers (5 of them). We even deliver Digital ProRes files with surround sound and stereo audio stems to CBS via Aspera and they are using Final Cut Pro to lay our stuff off to HDCam masters. Saves us $1000 deck rental :)  Tape is dying...and I cannot wait for the funeral.

That said, we are not fans of the Avid hardware. We did a complete studio gut job of all our PC Avid systems a little over a year ago (2 DS Nitrises / 2 MC Adrenalines) and replaced them with 8-Core Final Cut Studio / Adobe Production Premium Macs. Best thing we ever did for our needs.

That said, after what I just heard about Avid MC5, If MC5 works well with the Ki Pro, that could open doors everywhere for the software and just might be enough to make a lot of us FCP converts do an about face and come back to Avid. Keep up the "Customer Service" angle Tewksbury...you have our attention Yes

HOME STUDIO: Macbook Pro 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB RAM / AMD Radeon HD 6750M / OS 10.6.8. / Apple Final Cut Studio / Adobe Production Premium CS6 ... [view my complete system specs]

Joey Morelli

Senior Video Editor / Compositor

EA Sports

www.easports.com

"IMAGINATION is EVERYTHING. It is the preview to life's Coming Attractions" - Albert Einstein

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 7:05 AM In reply to

kellyv:
    I wonder if there will be the option to use the MC's consolidate/transcode tool to make whatever you want to run at optimum speed.

From what I heard: yes. And if you add a Red Rocket card to the system, that will be detected and will speed up the transcoding process.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 13 2010 10:00 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

Job, in your opinion does that mean that transcoding without the RR card would be akin to converting files in Metafuze? I've edited R3D's in FCP using proxies and it was painful. Hopefully this will be a real solution :-)

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:34 PM In reply to

From what I've been able to gather (no extra inside info on this side), and my experience with Red files in general: there will likely be some level of useable RT performance with Red over AMA. For anything slightly more complex, or anything longform, I think the idea is to transcode to DNxHD (for one: it takes up less storage and demands less horsepower when editing).

Transcoding in MetaFuze has continuously been improved, and is much faster today than it was last year. The horsepower of the machine involved is crucial when it comes to transcoding speeds.

On a 3-year-old WX8400, it takes me 4-6 hours to transcode a shooting day worth of single cam R3D footage (usuallu 55-65 minutes of footage). On more modern machines, it will be a lot faster.

MetaFuze nor RedCine-X will not be a necessity with MC if all that is true. However, if you have a separate workstation (either with or without a Rocket card), MF and RedCine-X offer you the ability to keep editing on your editing system, while transcoding on a different system (for which you don't need MC to be installed, nor do you need a license or dongle).

MetaFuze however still offers a lot of capabilites when it comes to handling DPX, ArriRAW, etc.

What will be interesting to see is how this entire workflow will look, including linking back to the original R3D's after editing in DNxHD.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:59 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Like you, I need to put the Red AMA support through its paces before I can comment on it with complete confidence but I gotta tell ya, from what I've seen so far, it is really amazing. The demo we got played flawlessly. Support for Red Rocket in MC is awesome and will be a game changer for me.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 1:30 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

Job ter Burg:

kellyv:
    I wonder if there will be the option to use the MC's consolidate/transcode tool to make whatever you want to run at optimum speed.

From what I heard: yes. And if you add a Red Rocket card to the system, that will be detected and will speed up the transcoding process.

Life with RED is getting a whole lot simpler. Love it.  I am just assuming that all metadata comes along for the ride.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:06 PM In reply to

kellyv:
    Let's say I'm working HD 1920X1080. Import a frame that is 4k. Can I blow up on the image and retain sharpness? Like a non-destructive app? Or does it still resize the image to whatever the project is set to?

This is a good question, and I will check on that.  I know that in the end the image is whatever your project size is, but I'm not sure if you can scale it first, much like with P&Z.

I will follow up when I know more.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:08 PM In reply to

Keep in mind that even FCP and Color, which can also look at the raw .r3d files, can't play them in real-time.  I think that will continue to be an issue until processor speeds improve.  But now the architecture is there to take advantage when CPUs get up to speed.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:10 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Guys, we do not yet have resolution independent scaling in this release. Keep in mind that this is the first phase of a multi-phase rollout of resolution independent. There will be more features added as things progress.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 5:03 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

Thanks for checking. And when that happens, it will be nifty.Geeked

Editor

Page 3 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller