Latest post Wed, May 5 2010 2:45 PM by Marianna. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 4 2010 10:48 PM

Media Composer - what should be in the box?

I have just received my Media Composer and I'm wondering if something is missing.

There is a Media Composer case that is designed to take two disks that has one in it labelled Media Composer 4.05. It isn't shrink-wrapped. Should it be?

Two more disks titled:

Media Composer Quickstart Training

Interplay Transfer (don't know what this is)

A book of SmartSound Music disks.

Two Manuals (one for Avid Effects and one for MC) - not shrink-wrapped.

One installation guide - not shrink-wrapped.

The inside cover of the installation guide has a label with a sticker containing the System ID. There seems to be a gap where there was another label.

A packing sheet. This lists the software content but it is a bit vague. It implies but does not confirm that the various products are on separate disks.

There are no separate disks for Avid DVD, Sorenson Squeeze, Boris Continuum and Avid FX. Surely these aren't on the installer disk, or are they?

I don't have the computer set up to instal MC just yet so I can't check by installing the software.

I'd be grateful for some feedback as to whether or not I have a complete package.

HP XW 8200 4GB Ram Nvideo Quadro FX1400 graphics card At one point I thought that this was qualified for MC5. Am saving for a new computer :-) [view my complete system specs]

gooderick.com

• Tue, May 4 2010 10:50 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer - what should be in the box?

I've pinged Marianna on this...stand by.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, May 4 2010 10:56 PM In reply to

Larry, you are so quick.

Thanks.

HP XW 8200 4GB Ram Nvideo Quadro FX1400 graphics card At one point I thought that this was qualified for MC5. Am saving for a new computer :-) [view my complete system specs]

gooderick.com

• Tue, May 4 2010 11:06 PM In reply to

Well ... lucky you ... I just got 16 upgrades in, so lemme see what all is here:

There is a Media Composer case that is designed to take two disks that has one in it labelled Media Composer 4.05. It isn't shrink-wrapped. Should it be? No

Two more disks titled:

Media Composer Quickstart Training Correct

Interplay Transfer (don't know what this is) Interplay is another product.

A book of SmartSound Music disks. (Hint: open it up an look inside)

Two Manuals (one for Avid Effects and one for MC) - not shrink-wrapped. Correct

One installation guide - not shrink-wrapped. Correct

The inside cover of the installation guide has a label with a sticker containing the System ID. There seems to be a gap where there was another label. Correct.  The other label is attached to the outside of the box.

A packing sheet. This lists the software content but it is a bit vague. It implies but does not confirm that the various products are on separate disks.  Oh Well

There are no separate disks for Avid DVD, Sorenson Squeeze, Boris Continuum and Avid FX. Look behind the Smart Sound Disks, as suggested above.

Just curious, why so much interest in "Shrink Wrap" Confused

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, May 4 2010 11:18 PM In reply to

OK Randall. Thanks for the info.

It looked like the book of disks was labelled SmartSound and the two disk case is only intended to have one disk in it.

You have found me out. I am easily confused and I have a shrink-wrap fetish.

gooderick.com

• Tue, May 4 2010 11:35 PM In reply to

"... book of disks was labelled SmartSound ..."

You bring up a really good point.  The cover art should say, "Avid 3rd party software bundle, including, blah, blah, blah" ... not just be the label for a single product.

Meanwhile, most CD/DVD cases are designed for "up to" 2 disks.  I suppose they could put the training disk on the other side so nobody is concerned or confused about the "empty spot".  Gosh, and think of all the Tyvek Trees they could be saving!!!!

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, May 4 2010 11:44 PM In reply to

It's late and it's been a hard day. Most times people would sort it out for themselves I'm sure.

If Avid want to achieve the nth degree of perfection with their product pack they could include an itemised packing list. That would probably be the simplest way to make an improvement.

Thanks again Randall. This is a great forum. People are very quick and very helpful.

gooderick.com

• Wed, May 5 2010 2:45 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hi

Good feedback on this thread and I will make sure this is sent over to the product team and manufactring.

Thanks larry for pinging me and randy for answering.  I wasn't online much last night for once :) and missed this thread.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller