Latest post Tue, May 11 2010 1:14 PM by Jim. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 11 2010 2:01 AM

• Jim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 11 2010
    • NYC
    • Posts 3
    • Points 10

Capturing DNX145 over Firewire? Media Composer

Pardon my ignorance. I have an upcoming project for which I intend to purchase an AVID editing setup for my MacPro 8 Core.  It's required that the editor captures and edits in DNX145. If I rent a video deck for the HDV tapes can I capture DNX145 over a firewire connection, using only the Media Composer software? Or, do I need to rent an AVID video box? If it's the latter, which is the cheapest box that will allow me to capture DNX145?

Many thanks for your patience. I know nothing about these systems. 

Best,

Jim

8-Core 2.26ghz Intel Xeon "Nehalem"/8GB RAM/640GB & 3x1TB int HDs/ATI Radeon HD 4870/(2)SAMSUNG 23" Hybrid LCD HD Monitors [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 11 2010 2:52 AM In reply to

Re: Capturing DNX145 over Firewire? Media Composer

Avid can capture at DNx145 over firewire without any other hardware. 

To answer your other question (in case you're were wondering) the MojoDX would the cheapest (current) I/O solution that you could get to capture HD material.  It supports SDI in and out only, so you can't connect anything to it via FireWire. 

You may be able to find an old Adrenaline box with DNxCel board to capture HD material, but that product is EOL.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, May 11 2010 4:56 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,375
    • Points 40,765

To add to Kenton's response, it is possible to rent a Mojo DX unit for a pretty reasonable price.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, May 11 2010 1:12 PM In reply to

• Jim
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 3
    • Points 10

Thanks for this advice, Kenton.  It's good to know that I can capture DNX145 straight over the Firewire directly from deck to computer. Much appreciated.

The MOJODX is required to capture HD, I see, and is the cheapest I/O option for doing so.

We shot on the Sony HVR Z7U HDV camera onto mini hdv tape. 1080i, 24p over 59.94 with pulldown inserted.  Using "cine-like" or "film-look" settings. Is that considered HD, requiring the MOJODX? Sorry for having left off those details in the initial post.

Best,

JIm

8-Core 2.26ghz Intel Xeon "Nehalem"/8GB RAM/640GB & 3x1TB int HDs/ATI Radeon HD 4870/(2)SAMSUNG 23" Hybrid LCD HD Monitors [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 11 2010 1:14 PM In reply to

• Jim
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 3
    • Points 10

Thanks, Jef! I'll get some quotes on the MojoDX today, if it's needed.

jef:

To add to Kenton's response, it is possible to rent a Mojo DX unit for a pretty reasonable price.

Jef

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller