Latest post Mon, Jun 28 2010 4:04 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 25 2010 6:29 AM

MC 5 Activation & deActivation Limit?

Hi,

The abolishment of the USB dongle sounds really nice. I just want to know if there's a limit for activating and de-activating a license when switching workstations.

We have a MacPro and a MacBookPro and planning to buy a single license for both.

I just want to make sure we're not breaking any rules or wasting a license.

Thank you.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:50 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,214
    • Points 14,695

Re: MC 5 Activation & deActivation Limit?

As far as I know, there is no limit to how many times you can deactivate/reactivate. But honestly, if you're going to often migrate between those two machines, I'd stick to the dongle... You only need to unplug it and take it to the other machine. With activation, you need to remember to deactivate once you're done with one machine - which means it has to be plugged to the web - and then reactivate the other one.

There are quite a few of us who chose to stick (and fight for!) the dongle. Yep it's a bit fragile, but mines are plugged to short USB extensions. Once the extension is damaged, I just get a new one. Safer than plugging/unplugging the dongle directly into the computer.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:15 PM In reply to

There is no limit.  The system ID can only be active on one system at a time, but you can activate and deactivate at will.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:19 PM In reply to

Thanks for the asurance Kevin!

Please clarify "I'd stick to the dongle...", you mean there's still an option for a USB dongle key even with MC5?

We're planning to upgrade soon but we're still using an MC3, the one before the software activation is implemented.

Thank you!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Sat, Jun 26 2010 9:54 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,214
    • Points 14,695

pierreh:

Please clarify "I'd stick to the dongle...", you mean there's still an option for a USB dongle key even with MC5?

That's it, you don't have to switch to the license scheme, you can carry on the same way you're doing at the moment.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 28 2010 4:04 AM In reply to

pierreh:

..Safer than plugging/unplugging the dongle directly into the computer.

Exactly! This reminds me of a painful lesson we learned back when we still have students using our workstations. One day we discovered a broken USB key and had to buy a replacement.

NO to front USB ports!

--

Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller