Latest post Thu, Jul 8 2010 9:48 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:45 PM

• dtbag
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 6 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Mac DV Xpress and Cameras

Hi, sorry this is such a lame question but i've been out the loop with video editing for a while and now I'm wanting to pick it up again.  I've got Mac DV xpress and looking to buy a camera for it? Any reccommendations? I'm assuming HD is out of the question however i'm unsure as to whether a SD HDD camera would be fine as it uses MPEG2 format to store video.

Macbook Pro, DV Xpress v4.8 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Jul 6 2010 5:43 PM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

Re: Mac DV Xpress and Cameras

At the level you are using it with (Xpress 4) I suggest you NOT go with an SD HDD camera. Stay with tape-based. Or, if you want to go through the trouble, getting a camera with the FS4Pro HDD recorder - this records directly in as OMFI SD which can be imported right into Avid with no issues.

What are your system specifications on the Macbook Pro? You may, if possible, look to upgrade into Media Composer - unsure of the costs associated with it. This will open up a world of importing capabilities allowing you to widen your views on cameras too.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Tue, Jul 6 2010 6:13 PM In reply to

I'm pretty sure that XDV is not going import or edit MPEG clips very well (if at all).  You would likely have to convert them to QT files before you could use them.  XDV has been long dead for about 4 years I believe so it's just going to get harder and harder to work with emerging formats etc.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jul 8 2010 6:15 PM In reply to

• dtbag
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 6 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Thanks for your advice, my Macbook Pro is 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB memory.  I think i'll probably get a decent SD HDD camera and tinker with imovie then possibly upgrade to Media Composer at a later date if i've got time to get back into editing.  Thanks again - your replies were really helpful

Macbook Pro, DV Xpress v4.8 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 8 2010 9:48 PM In reply to

dtbag:
    my Macbook Pro is 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB memory

If you have a MBP then XDV won't run at all anyway.  Only Media Composer is supported on IntelMac processors.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller