Latest post Tue, Jul 13 2010 2:44 PM by Lowell. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 9 2010 8:48 PM

• Lowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 9 2010
    • Posts 25
    • Points 325

MC 5.0.1 Trial Says My System Not Licensed.

I just downloaded and installed the fully functional MC 5.0.1 trial.  Everything was going fine before I tried to open a pre-existing bin in my project.  When I tried, it showed a progress bar, then immediately gave me this message:

"Your system is not licensed to run this software
     Please contact Customer Support for further assistance."

When I hit "OK", I got this message:

"Bus error" in thread "MainThread", at address      0x0"

Then MC5 crashed.  Now, it won't open my project without going through the same process.

For a little background info - I'm running this on a MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon running OS 10.6.4.  I've got MC 5.0.1 installed on my HD and the project and all media on my Media Raid.

Please let me know if you need any other info.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Fri, Jul 9 2010 8:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: MC 5 Trial Says My System Not Licensed.

Lowell

You say:   I've got MC5 installed on my HD and the project and all media on my Media Raid

Did you remove MC 5 befoe you installed MC 5.0.1?  You need to even if you are using te Software Trial.

Also search the Knowledge Base - there are several articles on that error.  9 x out of 10 it is a bad install or you didnt remove the existing editing software.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Jul 9 2010 9:18 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,217
    • Points 14,730

You say you tried to open a pre-existing bin. By any chance, is it a bin created with a demo version of Media Composer? No necessarily v5.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 9 2010 9:35 PM In reply to

• Lowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 325

Marianna - I didn't have any form of Avid on this computer before.  Sorry for the confusion.  5.0.1 is the only version that has graced this particular machine.  But I will check out this bad installation idea.  

pierreh - that's a good point.  I know it wasn't created with a demo version BUT the versions could be different.

Thanks for the help, both of you!

• Fri, Jul 9 2010 10:06 PM In reply to

same thing here - I had the trial version working for a couple of minute, then after installing Boris Continuum it gave me the "system not licensed" error message with the bus error crash.

I did a clean install on a virgin system, so it shouldn't be due to a bad installation.

please help, my software activation failed and now I am even not able to run the software in trial mode - what a mess!

• Fri, Jul 9 2010 10:25 PM In reply to

• Lowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 325

Sorry to hear it, HansenPansen.  

I created a new project and tried importing footage, creating new bins, etc., as I'm going to need to do that anyway.  Everything works great unless I close a bin and try to re-open it.  Then it's crashville.

I'm re-installing now, going by the READ ME file.  

More soon...

• Fri, Jul 9 2010 11:05 PM In reply to

• Lowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 325

I have uninstalled everything and reinstalled Media Composer 5.0.1.  It won't load a project now without telling me my system isn't licensed.  As usual, I can open a new project with no problem.

So I go and check the license that I have (Utilities > Avid Utilities > GetLicenseInfo).  It tells me:

License info for Media Composer:

License type: Trial      Expiration Date: Sun Aug 8 17:47:54 2010

So clearly I have no problem with the actual license.  But something is conflicting with this license being interpreted correctly.  Could it be how my system is set up?  With Media Composer on the system drive and everything else on the Media RAID?

Again, it appears the ONLY problem is when I open a bin, whether it is an old bin or a bin from a brand new project.  

• Sat, Jul 10 2010 12:21 AM In reply to

• Lowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 325

So the extent of the problem seems to be that I can't load projects or open bins.  

To clarify:

If I create a new project, I can create bins, import media, edit it and everything else, but I can't reopen a bin without being told my system isn't licensed and then getting the "Bus Error" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0 message.

Also - while I can create new projects, I can't load projects.  Which means the 'Test' project I just created, with one empty bin inside, won't open again, giving me the same "system isn't licensed" message and then the "Bus Error" message.

The only work around seems to be that I should leave the project open and all bins open at all times.  Though if anything ever closes, it would seem I'd lose everything.

Again, any advice is welcome.

• Sat, Jul 10 2010 4:14 PM In reply to

• Lowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 325

Also - on the same system I'm running FCS 3 and my graphics card is the unsupported ATI Radeon 4870.  Could this cause this kind of conflict?

• Sat, Jul 10 2010 7:50 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,217
    • Points 14,730

I don't see why FCS would conflict with a demo version. Though Apple can be vicious...

Have you tried to reinstall everything? If you're on a Mac Pro, could you just put another drive in the machine on which you'd only have the system and MC5?

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 10 2010 10:30 PM In reply to

Re: MC 5.0.1 Trial Says My System Not Licensed.

I just downloaded and installed the same MC 5.0.1 Trial.

This afternoon everything still seemed fine and I captured some footage. So I wanted to continue capturing this evening. When I try to open the existing project now, after loading all data (at least showing some progress bars) the same window pops up: "Your system is not licensed to run this software
     Please contact Customer Support for further assistance."

When I hit "OK" MC5 closes itself. When I try to load an existing Bin I get the same error and MC5 crashes instead of a clean shutdown.

My System: (brandnew) HP EliteBook 8540W Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB SATA 7200RPM, NVidia Quadro FX 1800 with Windows 7 (64) Professional.

As I would like to capture a lot of footage this weekend I'm looking forward for any hints, ideas how to solve this problem...

(By the way, I'm a newbie to MC5, but a professional Xpress Pro user...)

HP EliteBook 8540w, CPU: i7@2.67GHz, RAM: 8GB, HDD: 500GB Sata 7200RPM, NVidia Quadro FX 1800, Windows 7 Professional 64Bit AVID MediaComposer 5.0.1 (Trial... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 10 2010 10:41 PM In reply to

• Lowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 325

pierreh - I have not tried that, but I will give it a try.  So you're saying to load OS 10.6.4 and Media Composer 5.0.1 onto another drive by itself, remove the old system drive, and boot the Mac that way?

morris_bottomlake - Sorry to hear you're having similar trouble, though it's nice to hear I'm not alone in this.  And that PCs are having the same kind fo trouble.  You're not getting the "Bus Error" message, though?

• Sat, Jul 10 2010 10:45 PM In reply to

I'm escalating this to QA and engineering.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jul 10 2010 10:51 PM In reply to

• Lowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 325

• Sat, Jul 10 2010 10:54 PM In reply to

@Larry Rubin: Thank you!

@Lowell: no, i'm not getting the bus-errors. mc5 closes itself properly...

HP EliteBook 8540w, CPU: i7@2.67GHz, RAM: 8GB, HDD: 500GB Sata 7200RPM, NVidia Quadro FX 1800, Windows 7 Professional 64Bit AVID MediaComposer 5.0.1 (Trial... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller