Latest post Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:52 AM by Kenton.VanNatten. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 14 2010 3:25 AM

• Ryan Casey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Orleans, LA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,305

Media Backup - (MXF / OMFI)?

I find myself in need of hard drive space. I would like to back up my completed projects and start fresh. My plan was to use windows to copy my MXF folder to several disks. (Wasn't this folder once called OMFI?) Then copy my Avid Projexts Folder as well. I watched the getting started video but it only discusses the project backup not the media files. I believe this backup plan should work. After I dump to disk I should be able to delete the clips from the bins so that avid does not get confused. If I ever have an emergency I should be able to load these back in correct?

Is there a way to sort by project in the MXF Folder? I would like to make a new disk for each project.

Any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks.

Windows 7 Professionsl 64 bit * Avid Media Composer 7.0 * Quicktime 7.7.4 * Intel(R) Core(TM)i5-2380P CPU - 3.10ghz* 16GB ram * Windows Drive: 120GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 14 2010 3:57 AM In reply to

Re: Media Backup - (MXF / OMFI)?

MDV is a free tool that will allow you to separate your media files by project, so you can store them separtely.  The site is Russian, but safe.  We all use this.

And, yes, the older media type ws OMF, and stored in the OMFI MediaFiles folder.  The issue was, you could only have one folder per volume, and when the file count became excessive, performance suffered.

The new media type is MXF, and the media is stored in numbered sub-folders, under Avid MediaFiles\MXF.  As each numbered sub-folder reaches 5,000-ish files, the system automatically creates the next sequential folder, and starts to write new media files there.

Avid can handle "many" databases, just not big ones.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jul 14 2010 4:11 AM In reply to

• Ryan Casey
    • Not Ranked
    • New Orleans, LA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,305

Thanks.

All files show up as Project: Unknown MXF

Perhaps because all files were captured in XPress Pro HD?

Any thoughts?

Windows 7 Professionsl 64 bit * Avid Media Composer 7.0 * Quicktime 7.7.4 * Intel(R) Core(TM)i5-2380P CPU - 3.10ghz* 16GB ram * Windows Drive: 120GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 14 2010 4:34 AM In reply to

So, you see all the files, but they aren't identified by project?  Xpress Pro wouldn't be the issue.  It assigns the project metadata during capture/importing, just as Media Composer does. 

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:35 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,413
    • Points 63,430

A media database(s) rebuilt may help: trash the msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb files from the mediafiles folders and run MC, it will scan the hard drives and rebuild the files.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:35 AM In reply to

• Ryan Casey
    • Not Ranked
    • New Orleans, LA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,305

very strange why the project will not show up. Thanks for the link. This toll looks usefull even if it is not helping me out of my current dilema.

I wonder if I consolidate by project if that will accomplish what I am trying to do. I have never tried.

• Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:52 AM In reply to

RMCasey:
    (Wasn't this folder once called OMFI?)

It was (and still is).  All HD material is MXF, you can select the Media Type in your Media Creation settings to OMF if you're in an SD project.  You can have SD MXF files as well, but you can't have HD OMF. 

RMCasey:
    After I dump to disk I should be able to delete the clips from the bins so that avid does not get confused

If you delete the Clips from the Bins, then you'll be deleting all of your metadata.  If you just delete the Media (via Media Tool) then you should be golden.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller