Latest post Sat, Aug 7 2010 5:56 PM by gswilson. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 2 2010 2:19 PM In reply to

Re: Is Avid DVD up to the standards of MC?

I stand corrected.  MediaChance replied to my inquiry this morning, and confrmed that DVD Lab Pro 2 does not support BD.  Meanwhile, it still does a better job for us than Avid DVD for standard DVD's.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Aug 2 2010 2:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks for posting that information Randall.
    I was beginning to think that I needed new glasses.

If anyone is likely to be staying with DVD as their delivery media, then I agree that DVDLabPro is a good alternative.

However any application that could replace AvidDVD would have to support Blu-Ray as well.

AvidDVD's strength here lies in the fact that you can produce either a DVD or a Blu-Ray disc from the same authoring. You make your choice when everything is ready.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 2 2010 3:27 PM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

For very simple DVDs (without fancy menus etc.) i really love(!) womble's MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0 (www.womble.com)

There is a free demo version to test it. The mpeg-editing-capability is fantastic!

regards,

Udo

2x HP Z800 with Mojo DX and MC7.0 | 1x HP Z800 with Nitris DX and MC7.0+SYM-Option | 1x Unity MEFC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 2 2010 10:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

udosauer:

There is a free demo version to test it. The mpeg-editing-capability is fantastic!

When it comes to any programme that can be used to encode/transcode video/audio files, I personally would never install them, even a trial version, on any computer that I was using DVDitProHD/Avid DVD on.
    Especially if I was having problems with DVDitProHD/AvidDVD already.

If I was certain that I didn't intend using DVDitProHD/AvidDVD anymore, then I would uninstall it and test other authoring applications in order to find one that suited me.

I have tested Encore CS4 and TAW4. But neither of them are on the same system that I have my working DVDitProHD/AvidDVD's on.

Now, this is just my own feelings on the topic. I know there are many who are happily doing just the opposite and not having any problems.
    It's just that I don't feel I should tempt fate. Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 2 2010 11:57 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,322
    • Points 53,440

Agreed, Douglas. The ability to choose DVD or BD output after authoring is DVDit's strongest attribute, and AW4 greatest weakness.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Aug 4 2010 8:51 AM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

Hello douglas,

you can use a virtual pc to test demo-versions. Use a tool like oracles free virtualbox. (http://www.virtualbox.org/)

regards,

Udo

2x HP Z800 with Mojo DX and MC7.0 | 1x HP Z800 with Nitris DX and MC7.0+SYM-Option | 1x Unity MEFC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 4 2010 9:10 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

udosauer:

Hello douglas,

you can use a virtual pc to test demo-versions. Use a tool like oracles free virtualbox. (http://www.virtualbox.org/)

regards,
    Udo

Udo, I am not an adventurous person when it comes to testing free downloads etc.
    I know there are a great number of knowledgeable people who enjoy and know there way around these aspects of the computer world.

Call me an old fogey or a stick in the mud, but I prefer to stay within my limits.......... mind you I can sometimes extend my limits a little.
    But never a huge step into the unknown.
    I think I am very much like Mike Shaw.............  Big Smile . .  in that respect.

Thanks for posting the information.
    I am sure that there are some people who will be happy to take a look at Virtualbox.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sat, Aug 7 2010 3:06 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,322
    • Points 53,440

I am a bit surprised regarding the relatively small number of comments presented. It could be taken that DVD (BD) output is not a primary concern of many MC users.

Interesting in that regard, and it would explain why Avid DVD has not seen the development attention than MC has benefited from in the same time period.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Aug 7 2010 5:56 PM In reply to

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Belfast, Ireland - now, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 318
    • Points 4,160

TVJohn:
    It could be taken that DVD (BD) output is not a primary concern of many MC users.

John,

If you look at what MC has been used for over the years - Major films, TV productions etc., then it's no wonder that these users aren't interested in putting anything out to DVD. They only do one thing for a living - Edit. Their art is in putting a masterpiece together for people to view and enjoy - if it's in a cinema or on a home TV doesn't matter.

How it gets to where it ends up is someone elses problem.

Since the "Liquid invasion" however things are starting to change. We could do just about everything in Liquid without opening another App. - except burn Blu-Ray.

MC now has a new customer base, and maybe Avid will take a serious look at DVDit to cover it when more and more of the new users really get up to steam on MC and then start complaining about the failings in DVDit.

Gerry

MC 2018.12.2, Win 10 Pro(1809), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPU(Driver 417.35),Samsung 850 Pro 512... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller