Latest post Mon, Aug 23 2010 2:19 AM by Jonno Woodford-Robinson. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 22 2010 7:53 AM

Incorrect timecode when generating 24fps EDL from imported quicktimes

Hi,

I'm working on a 23.976p film project which originated on a MC 2.1.8 Avid and is now being finished on a MC3.5 Avid (both Mac).

Our rushes were telecineed and we duplicated the timecode to the TC24 column.

We imported 23.98 Quicktimes of our VFX shots and cut them in to our final sequences and made 24fps EDLs for DI Conform on IQ and this was successful (using MC 2.1.8).

More recently, we revisited the film in MC 3.5 and made some changes, added some new/updated VFX shots (using imported quicktimes as before). When I go to make the EDL, only the telecineed rushes and the VFX imported prior to using MC 3.5 give the correct timecode in teh new 24fps EDLs. The new VFX quicktimes either show 00:00:00:00 no matter which frame we cut them in on (usually frame 9 = 00:00:00:08) or the in frame is calculated at 30fps even though the master timecode is running at 24fps.

Has anyone experienced this issue and if so, is there a solution?

Thanks

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, OS X 10.10.5) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Sun, Aug 22 2010 3:26 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Re: Incorrect timecode when generating 24fps EDL from imported quicktimes

I forget now which version of MC began including TC with imports, but I think it was in the 4 range. Prior to that, everything imports with 1 hour TC and no source name.

Avid only includes tape based sources in it's EDLs.

What you have to do is add a "tape" source and the proper TC by modifying the imported clip. 

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Sun, Aug 22 2010 8:52 PM In reply to

Hi TCurren,

Thanks for the reply.

Certainly MC 3.5 seems to import timecode, although I'm not sure it brings in the reel number (I'll have to check).

Unfortunately, seeing as it's a FILM project (ie, I clicked the FILM option when creating the project), Tape names are not changeable unless one makes another identical temp project with the only difference being that the FILM option is switched off. Then open a bin from the film project and Modify the clip's source/tape name. This has caused a new problem I've never experienced before with earlier versions, whereby the timecode counts 24fps, but at a speed of 30fps!! very odd. It seems to make things worse in the EDL too. In previous versions, I used this trick all the time and it worked perfectly, so I;m not sure what to do now.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, OS X 10.10.5) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Mon, Aug 23 2010 2:11 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

D'oh! I see what you mean. Then I guess you would want to use Metafuze to keep all the metadata with the source. With that you would transcode your files and make an AAf to open in Avid. Check out the metafuze workflows:

http://www.avid.com/US/solutions/workflow/MetaFuze

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Aug 23 2010 2:19 AM In reply to

Since our last email, I backtracked my project to before I changed the Tape numbers and discovered that even though there are no Tape numbers and no timecodes in the TC 24 column, the EDL calculates correctly now! Luckily for me the post house uses the "From Clip Name" comment in the EDL to locate the clips automatically so now I have a working system.

It seems Avid have cahnged something in MC 3.5 that throws the machine off when one changes the tape name. i wonder if that was fixed in MC 5.0...

I've heard of Metafuze. I guess I should give it a go the next time I have any issues.

Thanks for the tip

Jonno

www.fusspotfilms.com

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller