Latest post Sat, Sep 18 2010 4:01 PM by Larry Rubin. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 16 2010 10:06 PM

• Jøran Sanna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 11 2010
    • Porsgrunn / Norway
    • Posts 19
    • Points 220

Media offline graphics is missing ?

hi,

hopfully someone can help out with this problem.

I'm new with MC and after testing and trying out over some weeks I decided to delete all my imported media since it was only for test purpose. I deleted all from MEdia tool, selecting all media from all discs.

After that operation, MC behave strangely in certain situation.

1/ WHen media is offlline I got a message "Unsupported format"

2/ When adding filler I got the same message

3/ There is no image for "media offline". Media composer seems to be unable to find the media to substitute for the actual media  missing.

Please, anyone, any idea?

Thanks

Jøran Sanna

MC 7.0.3, Win7 Pro, Asus X58, i7 Hex core, 12GB Ram, PNY Quadro 4000, two striped WD 1TB Sata III [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 16 2010 10:45 PM In reply to

Re: Media offline graphics is missing ?

joran@sanna.no:
    Media composer seems to be unable to find the media to substitute for the actual media  missing.

By this I presume you mean you suspect the "media offline" slide is missing. If so, check the Avid Media_Files folder on your system C: drive. That contains the files for the media offline and wrong format slides.

You can re-establish the media for your imported files if you still have the pointers in bins, using the batch import function to auto-import from the original files, if you still have them.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Sep 16 2010 11:07 PM In reply to

• Neil J
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 576
    • Points 7,390

joran@sanna.no:

I deleted all from MEdia tool, selecting all media from all discs.

After that operation, MC behave strangely in certain situation.

1/ WHen media is offlline I got a message "Unsupported format"

2/ When adding filler I got the same message

3/ There is no image for "media offline". Media composer seems to be unable to find the media to substitute for the actual media  missing.

Jøran

You have deleted all media and therefore MC has nothing to substitute unless you re-import / capture the media you deleted.

By adding filler what are you trying to achieve without any media?

• Fri, Sep 17 2010 7:54 AM In reply to

• Jøran Sanna
    • Not Ranked
    • Porsgrunn / Norway
    • Posts 19
    • Points 220

Larry Rubin:

By this I presume you mean you suspect the "media offline" slide is missing. If so, check the Avid Media_Files folder on your system C: drive. That contains the files for the media offline and wrong format slides.

Hi Larry,

thank you for your help. Yes, your presumtion is right. I'm able to import or re-establish all the media, but for the "media offline slides" and "wrong format slides", I did not import them, they were obviously part for the MC install procedure. My Avid Media_files folder on C: is empty.

Larry Rubin:

You can re-establish the media for your imported files if you still have the pointers in bins, using the batch import function to auto-import from the original files, if you still have them.

Q1 is: How do I find the missing "wrong format" and "media offlien" graphics?

Q2 is: When the graphics is found, how do I import / install them in a way that MC know where to find it.

I presume my errors is caused by MC beeing unable to find the graphics to substitute, and since the wrong format file is not present the error message is trigged on the assumption that the current format is wrong, because the corresponding "wrong format file" is not found.

Best regards and thanks for any ideas to import and install the missing files.

Jøran

MC 7.0.3, Win7 Pro, Asus X58, i7 Hex core, 12GB Ram, PNY Quadro 4000, two striped WD 1TB Sata III [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 17 2010 8:00 AM In reply to

• Jøran Sanna
    • Not Ranked
    • Porsgrunn / Norway
    • Posts 19
    • Points 220

Neil J:

By adding filler what are you trying to achieve without any media?

Hi Neil,

I'm able to reimport the media I'm working with no problem. But my problem is, i think, that I deleted the media MC use to substitute the media MC looking for when the actual media is missing.

My understanding is that MC use a media clip to create the black screen, and that I might have deleted that file too.

The porblem is to re-establish the media MC use to substitue wrong formats, black and missing media files.

Best regards, and thanks

Jøran

• Fri, Sep 17 2010 8:02 AM In reply to

Q1 is: How do I find the missing "wrong format" and "media offlien" graphics?
    Q2 is: When the graphics is found, how do I import / install them in a way that MC know where to find it.

Just re-install the software.  The files will be placed where they need to go, And Avid will know how to locate them.

It is strange however, that those files are gone.  I don't recall seeing those files in Media Tool, so I'm confused as to how they were deleted.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Sep 17 2010 3:22 PM In reply to

So why is the "Media Offline" warning displayed at the end of the "Boston Sample Project" at the timeline ending "...always a step ahead."? This is a bit lame n'est ce pas??"

Running AMC 5.0.3.4 Dongle Upgrade with fully updated "AMC 4 era" Production Suite + latest LE/PE Codecs on Non-qualified home built fully updated... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 18 2010 10:20 AM In reply to

• Jøran Sanna
    • Not Ranked
    • Porsgrunn / Norway
    • Posts 19
    • Points 220

Randall L Rike:
    Just re-install the software. 

Hi Randall,

I know, I've already tried that, but the re-install did not update theese files/ settings. I have not yet removed the application totally before installing again. But that might be the solution.

It should be a better/ simpler way to "learn" MC where to find theese files?

thanks

Jøran

• Sat, Sep 18 2010 3:51 PM In reply to

"... but the re-install did not update theese files ..."

To clarify, are you saying that after you reinstalled the software, the folder "Avid Media_Files folder" on your system C: drive was empty?  Did you look there to confirm, or is the slate just not showing up in your timeline?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sat, Sep 18 2010 4:01 PM In reply to

Jøran Sanna:
    I have not yet removed the application totally before installing again. But that might be the solution.

Joran, Randall is correct. And remember to deactivate your software license first (special menu), then do a COMPLETE UNINSTALL of Media Composer before reinstalling. Each MC version is an entity unto itself and is NEVER installed over an existing version - it must always be a totally clean install, then reactivate your license. For the smoothest procedure, when deactivating, DO NOT choose the option to remove the sys ID and serial numbers.

This should most definitely fix your problem, as the media offline and wrong format files are automatically part of the entire install process - nothing you have to do manually to make that happen. I suggest you get a fresh download of 5.0.3 and the 5.0.3.2 patch files from the download center and use those for the reinstall.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller