Latest post Thu, Nov 4 2010 11:11 AM by James@Seamless. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 2 2010 9:56 PM

• dpad84
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 2 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Export for VFX

I'm a VFX artist and I'm not too familar with the Avid workflow so I was hoping somebody could help me out. I need to bring footage from Avid into Nuke or AE in an uncompressed format. The guy I'm working with has the footage on his computer and he cut it on Avid MC. He wants me to rebuild the sequences he edited with split screens and dissolves in AE and then give him DPX sequences to take to DI. He shot on 35mm and 16mm and is finishing in 2K. 

I thought he could just export a Tiff sequence or some other uncompressed format, I would add my FX, and then give him DPX to take to DI, but he says he is using the highest quality Avid can handle, but that's less than the 2K scans he got, so he wouldn't be able to give me full res uncompressed footage out of Avid. 

Am I missing something? I thought Avid would just export using the orginal 2K footage. 

I also tried having him export an AAF that I could import into Premiere CS5, but it won't link the footage because it's asking for MXF files and I only have the DPX scans. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Tue, Nov 2 2010 10:36 PM In reply to

Re: Export for VFX

dpad84:
    I thought Avid would just export using the orginal 2K footage. 
    No, Avid MC will only work in video formats, SD or HD (max 1920x1080p), no 2K. Also, it is most likely that he has been working with compressed 601 or 709 video rather than in full RGB.

You would need some tool that will let you conform his sequence (usually an old-fashioned EDL). MC is not much of a DI tool, and it won't export DPX.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:05 PM In reply to

• dpad84
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 2 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thanks for the quick response!

Could I use the EDL in Premiere or AE? The AAF I tried to use was trying to link back to the MXF files. 

• Thu, Nov 4 2010 11:11 AM In reply to

Like Job says what you are trying to do is equivalent to a DI conform.

This usually happens using an EDL from Avid sent to a system such as Lustre or Nucoda. Hopefully the DPX files have timecode and tape data in the header that matches the Avid offline otherwise you are going to be doing a lot of eye-matching.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller