Latest post Thu, Nov 4 2010 2:20 PM by Mark Carr. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 4:07 AM

• Mark Carr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 27 2010
    • Montreal
    • Posts 36
    • Points 465

PLEASE HELP !! i'm tearing my hair out

HI 

As you may have guessed from the title I am only a few days away from throwing my computers at the wall.  I recently upgraded from MC 4 to MC 5 and now for some reason very time I play through a project ( either newly imported footage in MC5 or previously imported and edited footage from MC4) I keep getting these ripples that look a lot like "bad tracking" used to on VHS. It is happening to all of my projects , not always in the same place ( which makes me believe that is not a problem with the footage itself) Ive checked all my projects and they all have started to do it be it SD or HD , 16x9 or 4x3. 

I have tried 2 complete reinstalls of the new avid , as well as going back to MC 4. Ive also taken some advice and tried putting a time warp effect over the whole sequence but still the problem persists. I have 2 Macs ( a pro and a Macbook Pro ) both were fine with MC4 both now have this problem with  MC5.

I currently have 5 projects that were finished and ready to go, but because of this problem I cannot give to the client in this state. Does ANYBODY have any ideas what this could be. 

I tried to contact Avid by phone but apparently it will cost me 210$ for 1 call ( how i don't know) with no guarantee of solution 

All suggestions are very welcome

Thanks 

Mark

P.s Below is a still frame of what im talking about. (please ignore the interlacing that is not what im on about, Im talking about the 3 clear lines that you can see

Media Composer 5, Mojo sdi, Mac Pro , 12 gb RAM, 2x3Ghz quad core Intel Xeon , OSX 10.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 4:40 AM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 376
    • Points 4,930

Re: PLEASE HELP !! i'm tearing my hair out

Mark:

Which version of Quicktime are you running on both systems? Should be 7.6.6.

Do the artifacts only show up on the computer monitors or can you also see them on a client monitor connected to your Mojo?

jd

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.3 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID on macOS 10.14.3, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel Xeon W, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 5:01 AM In reply to

• Twosheds
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 86
    • Points 930

It could be a sync issue. Check the Video Output tool, make sure it's on the appropriate sync setting for your setup

Media Composer with Symphony option v8.10.0, MacOSX 10.11.6, Avid DNxIO [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 7:46 AM In reply to

• juss_
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 25 2010
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Sounds like a qt issue. Check first which version of qt you have there? In snow leopard there is by default qt 10.x and that is not supported by avid. You can install qt 7 from your mac intallation disk. There is a folder other istallers. After that at least I have trashed qt 10 and replaced it with qt 7. You can find it from allpications -> utilies folder. Just drag and drop it to applications main folder.

8 Media Composer SW Symphony Nitris DX Unity MediaNetwork Avid Interplay [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 10:46 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

QT X is supported with MC 5, just have a look at the version matrix, it is all into the KB.

As QT X not is supporting QT Pro , you might want to have both installed, also good to have both of them to be able to compare what the files looks like, I have seen differences between them.

To select what default player you want to use, just go into the OS file info ( not QT info )  and select your default player.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 10:49 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Mark, any chance that you could zip and upload a small file for downloading ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 12:39 PM In reply to

• Mark Carr
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 36
    • Points 465

Thanks for all the help guys, I am exporting the file now and will upload it very soon. In the mean time it is worth mentioning that when i import new footage ( same settings ) into FCP on the same computer all is well. could this still be a QT issue ??

Media Composer 5, Mojo sdi, Mac Pro , 12 gb RAM, 2x3Ghz quad core Intel Xeon , OSX 10.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 3:29 PM In reply to

• Mark Carr
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 36
    • Points 465

THANKYOUUUU

Ok so im 70 % of the way there. Having installed quicktime pro the artifacting has gone but only AFTER export. When im watching the footage in the time line the lines are still there. Also on my laptop the footage is running really slow and gittery ( as if my computer isnt fast enough) but i have 8 gb ram and havnt had this problem before. The footage i am using is SD and even on full yellow playback its still very jumpy. 

Any thoughts 

Thanks so much again 

Mark

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 3:41 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

very good, that was the reason to why I wanted to take a look at a file.

So, your problem has changed from a not good at all bad creation file error to a ( much better ) not good looking MC previewing error, time to start looking at video cards, drivers and settings maybe ..

Tomas 

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 4:09 PM In reply to

• Mark Carr
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 36
    • Points 465

any suggestion where to start with settings and drivers?? my video card seems fine ( i have sent you details below) but my laptop is only 1 month old so im sure the card is up to the task 

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0a29

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3540

gMux Version: 1.9.21

Thanks again for all you help

Mark

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 4:17 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Your most welcome, nice to have been able to assist.

The card is the same as I have on mi " little " mbp, same specs as it seems, have you updated to all the latet updates, there was some video driver related if I remember correct

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Styrkretsmodell: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Typ: Grafikprocessor

Buss: PCIe

PCIe-bandbredd: x16

VRAM (totalt): 512 MB

Tillverkare: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Enhets-ID: 0x0a29

Revisions-ID: 0x00a2

ROM-revision: 3560

gMux-version: 1.9.22

Bildskärmar:

Färg-LCD:

Upplösning: 1920 x 1200

Bildpunktsdjup: 32 bitars färg (ARGB8888)

Huvudbildskärm: Ja

Spegel: Av

Uppkopplad: Ja

Inbyggd: Ja

Tomas 

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 4:25 PM In reply to

• Mark Carr
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 36
    • Points 465

Just watching it back now i am noticing taht both the"jumpyness" and tracking lines are occuring worst when I have a timewarp effect layed over the clip. However avid is showing it as having a green dot AND i rendered itjust to be sure. still it continues. Any thoughts ? As far as i can tell my drivers are all up to date 

Mark

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 4:33 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

If you had been using a MXo Mini, I could have helped you better also with this.

However, as you are using a mojo, I will just lean back here in my chair,  ( I have actually been editing a one hour bd project from inside of Parallels whist chatting on the boards using my little mbp both for bd creation and chatting ) and take a look at the ready created disc letting the mojo experts climb into this thread with good advices hopefully able to solve this for you.

Tomas 

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 4:43 PM In reply to

• Mark Carr
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 36
    • Points 465

I have the mini but i have it conected to my home computer. I dont have any mojo attached to my laptop as a dont externally monitor when i am using it. 

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 4:52 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ok so you are seeing this in FSP, I suppose you are in green mode.

Try with creating a video mixdown and take a look at that to see if it looks any better

Tomas 

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller