Latest post Tue, Nov 23 2010 9:19 PM by Moon Shark. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 23 2010 7:17 AM

• Moon Shark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 25 2010
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 360

MC4 to AE CS4 Color Correction Workflow

I'm fairly green, so forgive the stupid questions. I Just finished my first HD sequence in MC4. Imported the footage in SD, then batch imported the HD res. That alone was quite the learning experience.

Now I want to color correct with Magic Bullet in AE CS4. I've never done this, and quite frankly have no idea what to expect.

Do I render the whole sequence, export it, and then drag it into AE... color correct and I'm done? With the whole sequence is in AE, can I grade each clip separately or will AE see it as one clip? Or, do I have to export each clip, color correct, then reimport into Avid and render as a sequence? That sounds like a tedious fate worse than death. I just don't know what the hell I'm doing...

Would someone mind spelling it out for me step by step? It would be appreciated immensely.

AVID MC 8.0, Windows 8.1 X64, Intel Core i7 4930K CPU @ 3.4 Ghz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDEA Quadro K4000, 3 X 2TB internal drives (RAID 5) [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 23 2010 8:57 AM In reply to

• Geoffs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 19 2009
    • L.A
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,080

Re: MC4 to AE CS4 Color Correction Workflow

If you own magic bullet looks for AE then you can just use the same license to install it as a plugin for MC. That way you can grade each clip in media composer without ever having to export.

Just go to the red giant homepage and download the avx, then just use the serial you got when you purchased it. 

Looks works natively with After Effects, Media Composer, Premiere, Final Cut and Sony Vegas. 

Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit i7 4600K 3.2 32 gig-o-ram GTX TITAN Video Card 17" Macbook Pro i7 8 gig-o-ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 23 2010 9:11 AM In reply to

• Moon Shark
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 360

Thanks, but I have Colorista. Using it natively in MC you would lose some of the functionality. Also, my next step will be to use some other AE plugins as well, so I'd still like to know the ins and outs of the procedure.

AVID MC 8.0, Windows 8.1 X64, Intel Core i7 4930K CPU @ 3.4 Ghz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDEA Quadro K4000, 3 X 2TB internal drives (RAID 5) [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:11 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

You'd probably have to do a QT Ref export of the video and then import that into AE CS4. AE will see it as one single video file so if you have to color correct individual clips, you'll have to break it up again in AE (or keyframe it, I guess).

My first thought is why not color correct in MC? Do you really mean color correction or do you mean color treatment of some sort (as in stylized)?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Nov 23 2010 6:57 PM In reply to

• Moon Shark
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 360

I was afraid of a scenario like this.

Yes, primary and secondary (stylized) color correction is what I need to do.  I'm an Avid loyalist, but why they refuse to step up to the plate and deliver something equivalent to Apple Color is beyond comprehension, and is the epitome of foolishness.

• Tue, Nov 23 2010 8:58 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

I agree - the color tools in AE are actually very good (particularly Color Finesse which is really unbelievable).

I was sort of hoping someone else would step in here to offer you a better solution... there's still time ;-)

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Nov 23 2010 9:19 PM In reply to

• Moon Shark
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 360

Thanks Steve. I would love to work natively in MC. This export, import, export, reassemble nonsense is not going to happen. I would just blow this F*cker up, and switch to FCP first (and I REALLY don't want to do that).

Is there not a top flight color correction plugin on the level of a Color Finesse, or Colorista, etc, that's available for MC? Seems positively insane that there would not be one. Show me one and I will buy it.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller