Latest post Fri, Dec 3 2010 3:45 PM by mjolnarn. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 2 2010 8:57 PM

• neileprcy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 5 2010
    • Posts 11
    • Points 175

Export via QTref & Sorenson to WMV - not playable by most!!? MC3.0

Hi All,

I hope someone can shed a bit of light on this.

I have a new client so I am testing tha delivery process as I know from experience it can be fraught and turnaround time is tight

I have some P2 mxf footage (DVCPROHD) which I import into Avid MC3.0 , trim top and tail, add a logo and then export as QTref file. (this can take an hour as there is an hour's worth of footage and my PC is old & slow).

I then use Sorenson to encode to WMV to deliver to client, this can take 8~10 hours. (that's the way they want it. They upload to a server that converts to flash and makes the original available for download). I have tried WMV7, WMV8, WMV9 & VC-1 options.

Every file that I have delivered as a test doesn't work for my client, although I can play them back fine, locally and via his server. I have even used Microsoft Expression Encoder (new Windows Media Encoder), this file fails for him, not for me. I used the same QTref.

I have tried the QTref with and without the AVID DV codec option (with=AVdv codec, without=dvcp codec (Apple dv), neither works. Exporting direct from AVID to WMV doesn't work either.

Alll this leads me to believe the codecs in the QTref are causing the problems, even through re-encoding to WMV??

Can anyone suggest a useful path to Export from AViD MC3.0 so that I can encode to a totally standard WMV, a possible intermediate step without using AVdv or dvcp codecs?? Or any other possible solutions??

I'm starting to tear my hair out now as I've been trying this  for days with no success!!

thanks in advance for any inout at all, I'm open to all suggestions!

Filed under: , , , , , , ,
  • Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:09 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

Re: Export via QTref & Sorenson to WMV - not playable by most!!? MC3.0

This seems very odd. If you can play the file and he can't, I would think he is missing a codec on his end. Exactly how is he trying to play it back? What is the error he is getting, ie. does the file play audio and not video, or does it just not open at all?

From the explanation of your workflow, I think the issue is on his end. But with a little more info we can try to resolve what exactly the issue is!

Z

• Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:43 PM In reply to

• neileprcy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 175

Thanks for the reply.

Other people can't play the file either (I can't paly it on my girlfriends laptop).

I do think it is because I have the codecs installed (via AVID) and others don't, although I struggle to see how this survives the transcode proccess??

Direct export from AVID - WMV7, G-Spot says Codec:WMV1, Name:WMP v7. Codec staus: Undetermined

Transcode via Sorenson - WMV9, G-Spot says Codec:WMV3, Name:WMP v9(VC-1). Codec staus: Undetermined

Transcode via Expression Encoder - WMV Advanced, G-Spot says Codec:WVC1, Name:VC-1 Adv (WMP11) .Codec staus: Undetermined

all play fine for me, on encoding machine, won't play for him or my girlfriend??

????

I'm trying to make a standard WMV that will play easily for the majority without any codec issues?

• Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:57 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

I would try exporting a QT MOV with the Same as Source option checked. Do this straight out of the Avid and then encode for the WMV through Sorenson. See if that helps, I find coming out of the Avid with a quicktime generally gives me more reliable results than exporting anything else.

Z

• Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:08 PM In reply to

• neileprcy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 175

But QT Mov at what settings, what codec? The beauty of QTref was the lack of any quality loss, and no need huge amounts of hard drive space (and possible time savings?).

Unless I am misunderstanding QTref??

A WMV that does work for them, G-spot says- codec:WMV1, Name:WMP v7, codec status: Codec(s) sre installed

??

neil

• Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:21 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

A same as source quicktime will provide lossless video quality, and shouldn't take much longer than a QT Ref. I can't promise based on your system, but this has been my experience. It should also be no larger than the pre-existing media, so you will need that amount of storage available. I have always found SAS files more reliable than Refs.

Looking at the one that did work, it says Codecs are installed at the end of the file. Codecs are undetermined from step one in your workflow. Try the SAS MOV then encode in Sorenson as a WMV and see if that resolves your issue.

Z

• Fri, Dec 3 2010 12:06 AM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

I wouldn't bother using Avid to encode to WMV.  Looking at your testing you didn't encode a WMV 7 or 8 using Sorenson.  I wouldn't encode to WMV 9 advanced using any app, I think a lot people might have problems with the latest codecs if their computers are no up to date.  Take another run at using Sorenson and one of the legacy wmv codecs (7 or 8).  Also, check what version of windows media player that your girlfriend is using.  I'm guessing you're using wmp 11 and she's using an older player that can't handle VC-1. 

I don't think there's a problem with the Avid codecs.  Like you said, it wouldn't survive the transcode process.

My random thoughts.

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 3 2010 5:11 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

neileprcy:

Every file that I have delivered as a test doesn't work for my client, although I can play them back fine, locally and via his server. I have even used Microsoft Expression Encoder (new Windows Media Encoder), this file fails for him, not for me. I used the same QTref.

If that is version 4 of MS Exp Encoder they do have the pro audio codec as default into all their encoding profiles, what happens if you change that one to standard ?

Many systems doesn´t have that pro codec installed, in my own encodings, I never use the pro version of the audio codec.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Dec 3 2010 8:28 AM In reply to

• neileprcy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 175

Haze:

I wouldn't bother using Avid to encode to WMV.  Looking at your testing you didn't encode a WMV 7 or 8 using Sorenson. 

neileprcy:

I then use Sorenson to encode to WMV to deliver to client, this can take 8~10 hours. (that's the way they want it. They upload to a server that converts to flash and makes the original available for download). I have tried WMV7, WMV8, WMV9 & VC-1 options.

I have tried WM7. AS soon as there were issues I tried WMV7 for compatibilty, bith from Sorenson & AVID, no joy. 

thanks  anyway

neil

• Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:44 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I just went through all the wmv profiles in Squeeze but wasn´t able to find your profiles, what version are you using?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Dec 3 2010 3:12 PM In reply to

• neileprcy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 175

Hi,

I'm using Squeeze 6 (standalone installation)

format>wmv presets, but I'm making adjustments to the bitrate, key frame, which wmv codec etc. (see attached images)

I didn't think that those adjustments could 'break'/alter the codec ccompatibilty ???

cheers,

neil

• Fri, Dec 3 2010 3:21 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

The update from Squeeze 6 to 6,5 is free , I would begin with that

Tomas 

• Fri, Dec 3 2010 3:37 PM In reply to

• neileprcy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 175

managed to post images.

not looking to upgrade, rather identify the problem/issue.

I don't think it Sorensen, as Super and othe prrograms also give a similar issue (codec staus undetermined)

neil

• Fri, Dec 3 2010 3:45 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ok, with SS 6 I might not so be of so much help, as a general rule however I would recommend using the latest codecs on the video side and skip the pro audio codecs.

If you want to do one more test with EE4 , I am with you doing this.

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller