Latest post Sun, Jul 29 2012 4:59 AM by jeanbarkerza. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 17 2011 4:51 PM

• marcias
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 5 2010
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

MC can't rebuild media from source files?

Hi!

I have a big problem. Because of a trip, for a while I had to work on another computer with MC. After that, I just copy the project folder and the source files back to my own computer. The program says OFFLINE MEDIA. It's true I don't have the MXF files, but I didn't thought they're neccessary. What can I do? I have all the source files and the bins and project file, and there is no way to do something? As I know, the MXM files are "just" renders, the MC should rebuild the Media from project and source files! I have no time to recut the whole stuff...

Thanks!

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Jan 17 2011 4:55 PM In reply to

Re: MC can't rebuild media from source files?

Hi,

When you say "MXM" files, do you mean MXF?  If so, they're very necessary, as they're the audio and video media files that go along with the master clips in your bins to make sound and pictures.  If you don't have them, there are ways to get them back, but we need to know more about your workflow.

When getting footage into your system, did you import a bunch of files or did you capture a bunch of tapes, or both?  If you originally imported files, you can batch import them now to get them back online; if you originally captured tapes, you can batch capture them now to get them back online.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2019.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 4:56 PM In reply to

Marcia:

First, it is MXF files, not MXM. And those are associated media files that are not only pre-computes, they are ALL of your source media as well. You need to either get possession of the original "Avid MediaFiles" folder for this project, or since you have all the project pointer files, if you have access to the source media, you can batch re-capture and/or batch re-import those files to restore your media in the project.

If you do get the Avid MediaFiles folder, first be sure you follow the Media Folder Management ground rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Then, rebuild the media database files. Quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database" also identified as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" . If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

{EDIT} As you can see, Carl and I are basically giving you the same advice.Big Smile

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 5:03 PM In reply to

• marcias
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

Yes, you are right, I mean MXF files.

I have only imported media files (mp3 sound and uncompressed avi). The solution I need is: just re-import the media, and change the old files to the new one. I can not find any way to do this.

Thanks Larry! Unfortunately I have no option to reach the other computer's "Avid Media Files" folder. I only have the project file, and the source files. Is there anything to do in this case? Both of you were talking about batch import. Or if not, saving the timeline-structure could be also a big help.

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 5:13 PM In reply to

If you have the complete project files in the specific project folder, you will have your sequences, clips and various effects (titles and such) in the bins. You can highlight the sequence and choose "batch import" from the bin menu which will not only restore the files in the master clips in the bins, it will also restore them in any and all sequences you have already built with those files, with all effects keyframing intact. You will need to do some re-rendering of those files. When batch importing, you will get a window prompting you to re-define the specific path to the files in question.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 5:26 PM In reply to

• marcias
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

Big thank you! I do as you wrote, and it seems work! As an ex-Premiere user I forced the "Relink..." in the context-menu, and didn't try "Batch import". Smile

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 5:38 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome, Marcia. We're always glad to help out.Yes

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 29 2012 4:59 AM In reply to

This piece of advice saved my life. Or at least my project. Just a note for clarity: you'll still need to select all in the bin where your synched files are and relink all of them. Quick, though! And very amazing.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller