Latest post Mon, Feb 7 2011 12:30 PM by Larry Rubin. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 4 2011 9:54 AM

• KevBurdon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 4 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Recapturing help needed!

This may be a bit basic, but I've been away from Avid since Uni, as the studio where I work primarily uses Adobe these days, and I wasn't too familiar with Avid's media management in the first place!

Basically, I've been tasked with recapturing an old project on Avid after the master edit tape was damaged. The project is a 90 minute documentary which was created years before I started here and worked on by 3 different editors, so the bin structure is a mess as they all had their own ways of doing things, none of which are very clear. The shooting ratio was very high, so there was way more material captured than made it to the final timeline, so recapturing everything bin by bin isn't really a feasible solution...

Now I may be going about this in completely the wrong way, but after duplicating the final edited sequence to a new bin, I selected the final edit timeline, selected Bin>Batch Capture, with offline media only, then started feeding it the tapes it asked for. Sometimes the clips go in without a problem, but a lot of the time I get the error "Exception: halted on clip..... failed to find pre-roll point", so I move on and capture the next tape. What would be the best way to capture in the clips that are having these problems?

The next problem I'm having is that if I stop and start the capture process again (either it freezes up and I have to crash out, or I finish at the end of the day), it starts by asking for the same tapes again. Obviously it's still calling up the media that had the exception error, but in some cases it's asking for media which has already been captured, and is capturing it again creating duplicate files i.e. Mary interview.01, and Mary interview.02, both containing identical media. Is this a problem with my method, or an issue with Avid, and is there any way I can get around this?

The version of Avid is Xpress Pro v5.8

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kev

• Fri, Feb 4 2011 12:51 PM In reply to

Re: Recapturing help needed!

Kev:

I suggest that you duplicate the sequence into a separate bin, then use the decompose function. A set of media offline clips will be generated that represent only the content used in the sequence, plus handles you define, sort the bin by tape name and timecode, then recapture.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Feb 4 2011 1:48 PM In reply to

• KevBurdon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Thanks Larry.

That seems to be working for the second problem. Is there a way to get around the timecode breaks on the tape, besides trying to recapture the bad clips manually?

• Fri, Feb 4 2011 2:13 PM In reply to

Try setting a custom pre-roll of 1 second. If that still doesn't help, go into the capture settings, and try other options under the "Preroll method" tab.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Feb 7 2011 9:11 AM In reply to

• KevBurdon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Thanks again Larry, seems to be working so far, only dropping on the occasional clip now as opposed to nearly every one! Much appreciated!

• Mon, Feb 7 2011 12:30 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome, Kev. Always glad to help out.Yes

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller