Latest post Tue, Feb 15 2011 7:43 AM by Marianna. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 11 2011 10:58 PM

• RADIUS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 12 2010
    • Vibo Valentia (Italy)
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,690

Regret Avid Liquid

Hi! I am one of those who went from Liquid to Media Composer.
    How do you feel with the new program? What you are missing Avid Liquid?
    Think you to stay in contact with Avid or other SW like Final Cut, Premier, Edius.... What you're disappointed, and what you like instead of Media Composer?

I would have preferred Avid Liquid 8.

SW: MC 6  on Seven professional 64 - Liquid 7.2 on Xp Sp3

HW:  Asus P6t  Cpu Intel i7 930  Ram DDR3 Kingston (4gb x3)  Vga Quadro Fx 1800  Audio Creative SB audigy 

Hd (sistem) Maxtor 320  Hd Western digita(1TBx4)

• Fri, Feb 11 2011 11:05 PM In reply to

• SussexJohn
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 21 2005
    • Brighton, England, UK
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,710

Re: Regret Avid Liquid

To be fair, this is a combination of "we are where we are" - there is no Liquid 8

and

"Caveat emptor"

There's a lot i like about MC, and it has made me a better editor - i certainly prefer MCs colour correction and its overall accuracy.

What do i miss - background rendering and being able to move a video track up or down and get the desired outcome.

I now never use liquid.

And i think the forum for MC is much more powerful, because there are more contributors, many of whom know so much about editing. Not to say that the Liquid forum was no good!

MC5.0.3.8, win7 64 pro, Matrox mini 02, Gigabit X58A mb, i7 Q930 2.83GHz, Nvidia Quadro FX 1800, 6Gb 1066 ram, 2 1Tb video HD, 500gb 7200 system HD, 1tb... [view my complete system specs]

SussexJohn

• Fri, Feb 11 2011 11:09 PM In reply to

SussexJohn:

Not to say that the Liquid forum was no good!

I have to disagree with that John.

I have meet very good people with whom we are friends till today.

And I liked all the moderators there too.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Fri, Feb 11 2011 11:19 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Radius,

I am moving this thread to "General Discussions".

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Feb 12 2011 10:53 AM In reply to

• SussexJohn
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Brighton, England, UK
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,710

Exactly what I thought when I first read it Douglas :)

MC5.0.3.8, win7 64 pro, Matrox mini 02, Gigabit X58A mb, i7 Q930 2.83GHz, Nvidia Quadro FX 1800, 6Gb 1066 ram, 2 1Tb video HD, 500gb 7200 system HD, 1tb... [view my complete system specs]

SussexJohn

• Sat, Feb 12 2011 11:06 AM In reply to

• SussexJohn
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Brighton, England, UK
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,710

Dear George, my friend

Maybe my english phrasing was too relaxed, but I was not being critical of the moderators on the Liquid forums, I was highlighting that I find the MC forums better because there are more members and more moderators. 

I met some good people that i am still in touch with too.

Is my intention clear now?

SussexJohn

• Mon, Feb 14 2011 11:36 AM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 8 2005
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

RADIUS:

Hi! I am one of those who went from Liquid to Media Composer.
    How do you feel with the new program? What you are missing Avid Liquid?
    Think you to stay in contact with Avid or other SW like Final Cut, Premier, Edius.... What you're disappointed, and what you like instead of Media Composer?

I would have preferred Avid Liquid 8.

I miss many things in Liquid and listed most of it in my other thread (Avid Please Bring Liquid Back).. I really have a love hate relationship with MC.. As of right now the reason I love it is because its used by the "Pros" from movie studios to newsroom, so its good tool to have if you are serious about editing. Another reason I love it is the upgrade price that were given to us by Avid. Even if you don't like MC i'm sure you can still use Avid DVD, Sorenson and Boris Red. You know why the reason I hate it.. I've tried FCP and Premiere Pro and from what i've seen they are both great NLEs as well..

If I had to choose one out of all 3 of the ones I tried and without the upgrade offers that were given to us. I would probably go with the Adobe Production Suite just because it has After Effects which is an industry standard in compositing, Photoshop, Encore etc... Plus Premiere Pro works great with DSLR footages without transcoding! If you also think about it for the price of MC5($2400) you can buy Adobe Production Suite ($1600) and Final Cut Studio($800). I know MC5 is a great NLE to have when your working in a newsrooms and multi editor environments but for a one man shop like myself who shoots weddings, events etc I think there are better and cheaper options IMO.. 

Either way I will be sticking with MC5 and will learn and master it and hopefully later down the road I will read this post and laugh at myself for hating the "best NLE on the planet". I just need to get over the learning curve and just quit making MC5 work like Liquid! I mean if an old dog like DouglasWink can learn a new trick! I shouldn't have any problems then! It just sometimes frustrates me when working in MC but I know I will learn to love it!

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 14 2011 10:07 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,172
    • Points 14,065

I tried hard learning MC5 and made every possible effort to think "from scratch".

But I have to confess that I basically ended up returning to Liquid for my multicam/multi audio track projects, and use my MC upgrade license for ...AvidDVD (sooo unstable/buggy...).

Yes there are things I do better in MC, but overall, there are more things that I seriously miss than things I gained. I have a long list of things that don't work for me in MC (and for which after research in the forums, there is no workaround), so I won't post them here. Just mention a couple of show stoppers: no track FX, no easy/quality pan&scan of HD clips in SD sequences, I heavily rely on these things for my kind of projects and the MC workarounds are extremely time-consuming and/or cumbersome.

Hopefully MC6 will add some of the nice things found in Liquid, and hopefully the upgrade price will be as reasonable as the Liquid to MC offer.

MC 2018.12 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (10.11.2.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz - 32... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:54 AM In reply to

• RADIUS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 12 2010
    • Vibo Valentia (Italy)
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,690

I ask the moderators to close this topic to continue

here:  http://community.avid.com/forums/t/93575.aspx?PageIndex=1

Thanks

SW: MC 6  on Seven professional 64 - Liquid 7.2 on Xp Sp3

HW:  Asus P6t  Cpu Intel i7 930  Ram DDR3 Kingston (4gb x3)  Vga Quadro Fx 1800  Audio Creative SB audigy 

Hd (sistem) Maxtor 320  Hd Western digita(1TBx4)

• Tue, Feb 15 2011 7:12 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

RADIUS:

I ask the moderators to close this topic to continue

here:  http://community.avid.com/forums/t/93575.aspx?PageIndex=1

Thanks

Your first post on the thread you mention above begins with:

"Please don't take this as a bash on MC. MC is a great software but its just not for me.. I've been messing around with MC5 doing tutorials and even Final Cut and I just can't believe how Liquid, a 6 year old program is so much better IMO."

So really we do not need to prolong the discussion at all.

These forums are about MC, for MC users, helping users, giving advice and tips about MC etc.

They are not about the merits of other NLEs whether they be alive or dead.

Please let it go now.

There is a Pinnacle Liquid Forum if you want to continue to chat about Liquid.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Feb 15 2011 7:43 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Great news for all Liquid supporters!

http://www.commercialintegrator.com/article/avid_studio_video_editing_software

There is a thread about it on the Pinnacle forum.

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/453058.aspx

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller