Latest post Mon, Feb 14 2011 10:51 PM by hbrock. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 14 2011 9:33 PM

• KML
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 20 2009
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 24
    • Points 300

thin horizontal lines, MC5 w/ ATI Radeon X1900XT

I saw no recent threads on this, so I pose a new question for anyone:

Since my new install of OS 10.6.5 and MC 5.0.3.7, I have been seeing random very thin horizontal lines that stretch partially across my open bin windows, composer screens or even the background desktop  - they are often broken, and even whole vertical chunks a few inches across drop out of the middle of my bin windows. Such wierdness I've heard is connected to the graphics card - mine is the ATI Radeon X1900XT that came with my MacPro 1,1.

First of all, is there a problem if I continue to use it & don't replace it? I would prefer to get rid of it, but I see only a few choices I could afford - the Radeon 5570 @$249 or Radeon 5870 @$449 - (these both are not supported by Apple, but apparently work anyway);  then it jumps to $1700+ for NVidia types. At present I do not work with HD or anything not off tapes, but I probably will in the future...I do a lot of moving on stills with 3rd party Moving Picture, plenty of color correction, some overlays of motion, and maybe Marquee titles in the future - what do I really need?

Apple has responded to display issues with these cards (independent of Avid & I don't know what "display issues"!) They were even replacing the card till Jan 31, 2011 or within 3 years of card's purchase, though when I checked in January for the offending "V6Z" in the last 4 digits of my card's serial number, it was not there, so didn't act on it.  I bought my computer less than 3 years ago but whenever that card was bought or installed, I wouldn't know - it was a demo machine at a Mac store (not an Apple Store).

Would love to hear from anyone knowledgeable or with experience on these issues, as well as tips for installing the upgrade kit so I don't mess up anything else in my near-Ferrari set-up!

Thank you - Kathleen

MC 5.0.3.7, OS 10.6.5, MacPro 1,1 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 2 Proc, 4 cores, 3 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900XT Graphics Card, Avid Mojo SDI, 500GB boot, 4TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 14 2011 10:51 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,065
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: thin horizontal lines, MC5 w/ ATI Radeon X1900XT

in an ideal world you could find another machine and swap the graphics card and see if the problem is addressed.  A new card simply plugs into the same slot as your current card.  You could try calling Apple to see if you are included you in the recall program or call the store that sold you the demo machine.  Absent of that, any ATI or nVidia graphics card that is/was sold by Apple in a standard configuration will work with Media Composer (things are not as simple on the PC side).  You might want to look on eBay, Craigslist or a Used Mac website for a 2nd hand solution that would be substantially less expensive than a new card.

As far as capabilities of a newer card, you need to assess if you've had any performance issues with the current Radeon card.  If so, try Barefeats.com to get see some performance tests.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller