Latest post Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:31 PM by camoscato. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 8:41 AM

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 8 2005
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

Can't trim clips with effects applied??

Trying to do a photo montage and have the resize effect on pictures.. I'm trying to make the clip longer but MC5 won't let me using smart tool.. Am I not able to make a clip longer or shorter after applying an effect on it? In Liquid I was easily able to do that.. 

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 8:56 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: Can't trim clips with effects applied??

jiggyjay:

In Liquid I was easily able to do that.. 

You cannot make clips longer than they originally are, what was the imported length of your stills and did you create handles into the source viewer before adding them to your sequense ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:19 AM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

Thanks for the reply.. You're right looks like i'm not able to make them longer than what I originally imported them as.. But it looks like I can't make them shorter either?(looks like you can do that) I guess this is normal in MC?? I have another clip with no effects and dont have any problems reducing the length but can't do it with clips with effects on them.. Also does handles mean an in and out point?

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:37 AM In reply to

Hi,

jiggyjay:
    But it looks like I can't make them shorter either?(looks like you can do that) I guess this is normal in MC?

No, not normal.  Can you post a screen shot?  It might help us see what the problem is.

jiggyjay:
    Also does handles mean an in and out point?

Handles means material before and after the in and out point.  If you've got a picture that's 30 seconds long and you want to put 10 seconds of it into your sequence, mark in and out around 10 seconds somewhere in the middle, leaving "handles" before and after your in and out points which can be used for making dissolves or trimming longer or shorter.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:38 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,176
    • Points 217,615
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

JJ,

I tested with 2 tracks.
    Each video track had plenty of heads and tails. (Edit! actually they had one of each.... I meant they had long ones!)
    I added the 3D warp to the top track, resized the picture over time, with a couple of keyframes.

I could still change the clip length with the effect added.

I am not sure what effects you are using.

It is possible that certain effects may not be able to be resized.

It may also depend on whether you are using fixed or elastic keyframes.

Actually I tried with both, and I could still lengthen/shorten the clips on the tracks.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 11:00 AM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

Sorry guys I meant to edit my post.. After posting my 2nd response I tried it again and it works fine when reducing clip lengths and now I know that whenever importing pictures its best to import at a longer time.. Thanks.. 

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 1:40 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I actually have my default import length set to 3600 secs ( = one hour )

Will not give you larger files into your media library and will always make it sure that your images are enough in length

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:20 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

What in placing the same picture after the first one? That would make a double length clip?

And then there is a video mixdown possible for that this part of your TL. Insert that video mixdown and you can add effects to it. And/Or shorten the clip.

Others may come up with more brilliant ideas.

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:31 PM In reply to

Hi Sef,

Sef:
    What in placing the same picture after the first one?

As long as you leave handles to make dissolves out of or to trim longer if you need to, there's nothing wrong with just putting the clip in twice.  I'd only do this if I were pressed for time and couldn't just reimport the picture with a longer duration, but that's just me.  :)

Sef:
    And then there is a video mixdown possible for that this part of your TL. Insert that video mixdown and you can add effects to it. And/Or shorten the clip.

Yes, but the disadvantages of a mixdown are a) you can't batch import it if you have a hard drive problem, b) you can't trim it longer, and c) you can't make a dissolve because a mixdown doesn't have handles.  I'd suggest avoiding a mixdown in this situation.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller