Latest post Tue, Mar 1 2011 2:33 PM by Anders Ward. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 4:01 AM

how to link your locators when logging to Aux TC

hey everyone,

first of all i'm pretty new to Avid so please forgive me for the simple question if it is simple. I learned on Final Cut, but have been assisting on a doc cut in Avid MC and so far I'm enjoying learning a new system. One thing that has come up is the ability to map my locators to AUX TC. let me explain. we have 7D footage with external audio that we are synching using the timecode slate and also plural eyes- though for the most part they are shooting the TC slate at the top of every shot. Sometimes we have two cameras shooting the same thing and both using the same audio so I was wondering to save time if it was possible to log one angle with locators, then simply copy and paste all of the locators with the corresponding timecode into the alternative angle based off the AUX TC from the sound files? I notice that they do copy and paste but it isn't doing me any good when the two cameras are generating different timecodes. thanks for your help.

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 6:42 AM In reply to

Re: how to link your locators when logging to Aux TC

Sounds like you want to sync one angle of 7D clips to your Aux audio using Plural Eyes, and sometimes another angle of 7D clips to the same Aux audio, again using Plural Eyes. If as you say the Aux audio clip is common to both sequences, you will be able to edit them together manually (best to duplicate/rename one of your imported Plural Eyes sequences first-- then add it to Composer monitor in preparation for more editing).

As a newcomer,  you many not realize that any sequence (like your 2nd Plural Eyes imported sequence) can be loaded into the Source monitor,

Load your 2nd Plural Eyes sequence into the source monitor, Select only the video track in the Track Panel, which you will edit over into that duplicate sequence, designating V2 on the Composer side as the destination. (i.e. V1-to-V2)

Manually place a Mark-In at the Start of each sequence's Aux audio. Since you already re-patched the Track Panel (V1-to-V2, in this case) this will effectibvely allow you to create a third Plural Eyes sequence where its V1, V2 tracks (aka angles) are in sync with the common Aux Audio, based on the original Plural Eyes choices.

If you have already tried syncing both angles to your Aux audio in PE -- and it worked fine, then you are way ahead of the game. I prefer to take this slower approach, just in case I'm asking too much of Plural Eyes.

You asked about Locators, and I know that Plural Eyes can make use of them, but simple PE syncing may work fine without them.

In general, it is difficult, but not impossible, to get locators to copy from one masterclip to another masterclip-- you would make use of Match Framing and do it manually, by jumping from locator to locator on your V1-V2-Aux audio Sequence, but match-framing from the Sequence's non-locator tracks and adding them in the Source monitor.

There might be a faster method, but I don't know it.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 1:30 PM In reply to

Thanks for your response. This info certainly does help, and I will most likely be able to incorporate it into my workflow. I want to simplify my question. I use locators on the clips as logs, i.e. "subject walks into room." I want to know if there is any way to assign these locators to the auxiliary tc instead of the video timecode, that way I could simply copy and paste them on my other angles and keep the logs all within the clips before grouping or making sequences. Thanks again.

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 2:05 PM In reply to

If you are adding Locators onto the imported, synced, Plural Eyes sequence-- you just De-select the video track in the Track  Panel and your Locator will be added to the highest track that is highlighted, i.e. your Aux audio.

If you added locators prior to running your clips through plural Eyes, I would use the matchframe strategy I described at the end of my post, above. to be able to Paste your copied Locators at their sync point on your Aux Audio masterclip,  now loaded (by Matchframe) into the source monitor. Just press the Add Locator and then Paste while keeping the clip parked.You'll need to run Plural Eyes again to have the now-copied Aux Audio clip's Locators appear in your imported, synced Sequence. (or, just add them manually to your V1-V2-Aux Audio Sequence before match-framing)

Then you can use your sequence to generate Groupclips as needed

If you want to take the Video locators you've made and add them to your Aux Audio prior to sending both to Plural Eyes, so that your imported, synced PE sequence contains them both. I can't think of a way to do it, but someone who works with ALE might have a suggestion.

there is a way to Export Locators and copy them-- but I think that only works to copy on Sequences, not masterclips.

p.s. You should know that there is an Avid (Timeline ?) Setting that once enabled permits automatically copying your masterclip Locators over to any new sequence you are editing them into.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 2:33 PM In reply to

this may help

Make a sequence of each angle

Use one angle to add the locators ( or the one plural eyes has done for you? )

Go to the Locator window, select all the locators

Go to the fast menu in the locator window

Export Locators

Load a new angle sequence into the record monitor, make sure it is on the SAME video track as your sequence with the locators on

In the fast menu for the now empty locator window ( no locators on this sequence ) choose Import locators, navigate to the exported file and open.

The locator info should be replicated onto the new sequence.

Load the sequence into the source monitor and edit...

You can text mangle the exported locator information by replacing V1 with V2 or red for blue and then import. The locator data will then go onto the re-designated track and with a new colour locator... such fun to be had

hope that might be of help

Avid Media Composer 4. 05, Nitris box, Unity OS X 10 .6.2 PC Vista w/ nitris box,HP 8600 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller