Latest post Thu, Apr 21 2011 12:13 AM by Randall L. Rike. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 5:28 PM

• jogotron
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 29 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 51
    • Points 760

Media captured by one system invisible to others on unity

We have 4 Avids connected to a unity, three are Nitris, the fourth is Mojo DX.  We are all on Mac pros. 

Here's the trouble: media captured to the unity by the mojo is visible to the mojo, but shows up as offline to the other three systems.  If you manually move mxf files from the mojo's media folder to any of the other folders on any of the unity drives,  and attempt to relink the media will come back online. 

The media files themselves are not the problem, something about the way the mojo's unity folders are making the media within them seem invisible to the other avids. 

Has anyone else seen anything like this?  All the Nitris systems are avid only, while the mojo has FCP and a bunch of other adobe apps, which I thought might be causeing some kind of codec issue, but the media is fine. 

HOME - MACBOOK PRO - 10.9.5 - 2.3 core i7, 16 GB ram. Media Composer 8, pro tools 11 WORK - Avid Isis 5000, MacPro 5,1 6-core Xeon, 16 GB ram, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 7:09 PM In reply to

Re: Media captured by one system invisible to others on unity

Is this a new problem?  Did it used to work.  It sounds like the media databases aren't being refreshed as required.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 7:12 PM In reply to

Is this a new problem?  Did it used to work?  Does media captured by the three Nitris systems appear online to the Mojo DX system?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:00 PM In reply to

• jogotron
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 51
    • Points 760

All media captured by the nitris systems is vislble and works for the mojo dx.  This has been an issue with the mojo dx since it's install this summer, but it is almost exclusively used by an editor who does not need to share his media, only have access to ours. 

Recently night editors have been using the mojo as a capture bay, for use by the Nitris bays, and I want nip the problem before it causes more confusion.

HOME - MACBOOK PRO - 10.9.5 - 2.3 core i7, 16 GB ram. Media Composer 8, pro tools 11 WORK - Avid Isis 5000, MacPro 5,1 6-core Xeon, 16 GB ram, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:20 PM In reply to

Anything remarkably different in the folder names being created by the Mojo DX?

(wwld)

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:33 PM In reply to

• jogotron
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 51
    • Points 760

The folders are all very similar -

avid1a.1, avid2a.1, etc...

the avid with a problem happens to be named avid4.1  That's the wierd part. If I manually move the MXF files from the avid4.1 folder into another folder, i.e. avid5.1, the media will become availble to the other systems. 

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:38 PM In reply to

When you move the media to the avid 5 folder, are you taking the media databases with it, or recreating the media databases once it's moved?

Just for fun, rename the Mojo DX system to avid5a, and test some capturing.  Media is media.  The only difference is if the databases are being recognized.

(wwld)

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:02 AM In reply to

Hi,

I've had a similar issue. When using unity, MC 3.1.3 did not understand the difference between a "avid1.1" folder and a "avid11.1" folder. It's like MC with this "naming method" only uses the first 5 characters to differentiate between systems.

I changed computer naming to the NATO Alphabet and since haven't had any problems for years.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 6:19 PM In reply to

• jogotron
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 51
    • Points 760

I haven't had to rename a client before on the unity.  This seems like a good test.  Is the process for this to rename the system in the mac's system prefrences, and once done does the unity recognize the change, or do I need to do some user management at the unity as well? 

Is this something that should be done with all other clients turned off?  

Thanks a lot for your help, by the way

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 6:39 PM In reply to

Yes, change the name of the computer in System Preferences > Sharing.  This wil automatically cause that Avid to write to folder(s) of a differnt name.  No other actions are required.  The other systems don't care about the change.

Once changed, capture some media, and let's see what happens.

(wwld)

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 6:41 PM In reply to

jogotron:
    Is the process for this to rename the system in the mac's system prefrences, and once done does the unity recognize the change, or do I need to do some user management at the unity as well?

It depends.

MC will automatically create new folder names with the new computer names. But it will loose control over the content in the old folders. It will be able to read the content of these folders but not write/update them. So if you want to fix this you have to move the MXF folder from, for example, "avid1.1" to "alpha.1". Each MC suite should after doing this automatically update the 2 mdb database files in its respective folder. You do not have to do anything on the unity.

jogotron:

Is this something that should be done with all other clients turned off?  

MC should be closed when you change the computer name and move the media.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 6:49 PM In reply to

Self Edit

(wwld)

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 7:22 PM In reply to

I've seen a similar issue wherein the client computers were supposed to be named as "Edit1, Edit2, Edit3" but somehow "Edit3" was really named "edit3" and "Edit2" was "Edit 2".  

I changed all of the system names to be consistent, but any media captured prior to the name change (ie, to "edit3") wouldn't show up properly because Avid was unable to read the database files.

Technically the OS is not case-sensitive, but apparantly Avid and Unity are, so the mdb files were getting written to the "edit3" folder, but Avid was unable to read that folder because it was looking for "Edit3".

My solution was to just move the media in any of the "edit3" folders to the "Edit3" folder.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 8:00 PM In reply to

"... Technically the OS is not case-sensitive, but apparantly Avid and Unity are, so the mdb files were getting written to the "edit3" folder, but Avid was unable to read that folder because it was looking for "Edit3" ..."

That's not how it works.  Avid only cares about the folder name for writing.  For reading, Avid looks for any valid media databases, regardless of the containing folder name.  As long as the top-level folder structure is correct, the actual media folder names are transparent to Avid.

I have been canging folder names ever since Unity shipped.  E.g., on flm edits, we changed ghe name of the folder to  match the reel name.

As long as the media databases are valid, the media will be online and visible.

(wwld)

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 8:13 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike:

Avid only cares about the folder name for writing.  For reading, Avid looks for any valid media databases, regardless of the containing folder name.  As long as the top-level folder structure is correct, the actual media folder names are transparent to Avid.

I have been canging folder names ever since Unity shipped.  E.g., on flm edits, we changed ghe name of the folder to  match the reel name.

As long as the media databases are valid, the media will be online and visible

That's how I thought it worked too, but we had media offline after deleting the database files.  I'd relaunch the drive would scan and I could see them rebuild and go back into the "edit3" folder, yet Avid wouldn't see them and show the media as online.

Then by changing the name of "edit3" to "edit3-old" and creating a new "Edit3" folder I was able to move everything from "edit3-old" into the new "Edit3".  Delete the databases again and launch Avid and they rebuild and all the material comes online.  It was a new one on me that I can only attribute to having changed the computer name.  

It's not an issue on new projects, only on those that were created when the computer had the old name.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller