Latest post Tue, Mar 29 2011 9:29 PM by MichaelP. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 29 2011 7:13 PM

Syncing, Group clipping two cameras with same timecode

Hi there

So we have two XD330 cameras, and we used a sync box to get the TC set up, so TC is matched. 

Now in avid, we have the clips in, and want to create a bunch of GROUP CLIPS relating to all the media we have. 

I'm aware that sometimes a camera shoots a little clip that won't have a group, a stray clip. I can just select media relatives and plop that into the timeline. 

So I'm wondering what's the best way to go about this? 

We've tried autosync, and it creates subclips of all the master clips. 

We've tried auto sequence to which we can align and put together (But we lose out on the group clips) 

We've tried Group Clip which to what I believe will only take ONE clip (the longest one), so it can't grab them all and automatically do it. 

We've tried Multigroup, which seems to be what we want - it creates a bunch of group clips, and a master group clip. But when I then put that master group clip in the timeline. It isn't what I expected. It's buggy it seems, clips seem repeated, and there are no 'black holes' to where media wasn't shot in the timeline. (relating the two cameras to eachother) In other words - Camera A was shot for 1 minute. Camera B was shot for 10 seconds... then another 10... then another 5. Yet it doesn't recognize those breaks in between camera B. 

In other words, how would you take all these clips from two cameras with same TC and group clip them all? 

By the way, I'm editing on AMC5.0

Thanks!

• Tue, Mar 29 2011 9:29 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: Syncing, Group clipping two cameras with same timecode

I log a dummy clip whos span encompasses all the other clips you want to have within that group. Group clip all your clips with that one, and you will have area of black where there is no active picture, then 1, 2, or more as they share common time. Just don't display the dummy clip in the 4 up or 9 up view.

Michael

24p.com

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller