Latest post Tue, May 3 2011 7:11 PM by Tim Schultz. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 3 2011 6:22 PM

• Tim Schultz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 12 2008
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 820

Apple seems to be going ATI... what are Avid's plans?

Hey all. It seems Apple has put their flag in ATI's camp. I can only speculate that it's because ATI is complying with the new Thunderbolt specs. With the release of the new iMacs today, it seems to be logical that the new Mac Pros hopefully coming in June will be ATI as well. Which means every new Macintosh on the market will only sell with ATI cards. What are Avid's plans? Am I secure buying a new tower in June knowing v5.5 or v6 will be compatible? I know the current Mac Pros have to boot in 32bit mode to run, is Avid working towards a fully 64bit release before Lion (I know at NAB I heard them say v5.5 is the last pure 32bit but I'm looking for more details and plans). I won't hold you guys to the word like a lawyer here. I just want to know what the plan is, where I should invest my money (maybe I gotta go Windwos... I REALLY don't want to though) and what the next 6 months looks like.

Thanks! 

Haswell-E 5960x OC, Asus x99-Deluxe with Thunderbolt II, 32gb DDR4 RAM, Nvidia Titan X, 24tb Raid 6 internal. [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, May 3 2011 6:26 PM In reply to

Re: Apple seems to be going ATI... what are Avid's plans?

Please see my posting here.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, May 3 2011 6:28 PM In reply to

• Tim Schultz
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 820

Larry Rubin:

Please see my posting here.

Thanks Larry I missed that post. Now how about the other questions like 64bit on the newer Mac Pros?

Haswell-E 5960x OC, Asus x99-Deluxe with Thunderbolt II, 32gb DDR4 RAM, Nvidia Titan X, 24tb Raid 6 internal. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 3 2011 6:30 PM In reply to

Tim Schultz:
    I know the current Mac Pros have to boot in 32bit mode to run, is Avid working towards a fully 64bit release before Lion (I know at NAB I heard them say v5.5 is the last pure 32bit but I'm looking for more details and plans).

Sorry Tim, beyond that there are no additional details about future release construction parameters at this time. Any comments in that area would be speculating about Avid's future releases and plans, which is prohibited on these Forums. The official word from Avid is that 5.5 is the last release that will be supported on 32 bit OS.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, May 3 2011 6:34 PM In reply to

• Tim Schultz
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 820

It's not speculation to tell your customers where you are going and what you are working on with the caviate that not all features will make it to release. Game companies like Blizzard do this all the time and their users are just as curmudgeonly as we are if not more.

• Tue, May 3 2011 6:38 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Larry Rubin:
    The official word from Avid is that 5.5 is the last release that will be supported on 32 bit OS.

This is a pretty definitive statement about when the MC will be a 64 bit application and is correct. We have no release date yet for the next MC version but, as soon as we do, we'll let you know here.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, May 3 2011 6:39 PM In reply to

Tim:

What can I tell you? I don't make the rules for this Community. If my answer is not satisfactory to you, I suggest you contact Marianna.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, May 3 2011 6:45 PM In reply to

• Tim Schultz
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 820

It was a more than satisfactory answer sir. I was simply commenting that I didn't feel the question WAS speculation. BLKDOG said it well with his post.

• Tue, May 3 2011 7:05 PM In reply to

Tim Schultz:
    It was a more than satisfactory answer sir. I was simply commenting that I didn't feel the question WAS speculation. BLKDOG said it well with his post.

Tim,

The whole speculation issue is one that has been beaten to death around here. A lot of people feel that Avid sets a very low bar for what is considered speculation.

But ultimately, it's their call, this is their site, and we all have to play by their rules. So please don't take a terse statement about speculation as being rude or necessarily an endorsement of Avid's approach.

This subject has been discussed ad nauseum, which can cause posts to sound a wee bit blunt.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, May 3 2011 7:11 PM In reply to

• Tim Schultz
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 820

got it.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller