Latest post Wed, May 18 2011 12:26 PM by George Angeludis. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 13 2011 7:41 PM

Canon DSLR Lenses

Hi there,

I've just picked up a Canon 550D along with the Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II lens and was curious as to what other Canon DSLR owners are using lens wise to cover as many situations as possible.

Dean

Media Composer 6.5.3 - QT 7.7.4 - Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 (310.90) - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1- 150GB OS - 300GB Data - 2x1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 13 2011 7:59 PM In reply to

Re: Canon DSLR Lenses

As with anything it depends on your budget and your goal.

I assume you are casual shooter of both video and stills. For that I recommend the popular 17-55mm range.

The Canon 17-55mm/2.8 is the best of the bunch but priced accordingly. It is about $1000.

You can buy a Sigma or Tamron equivalent, with slight range difference but the same f/2.8 speed,  but much less. The Canon has a faster autofocus for stills and better optical performance. The Sigma and Tamron are great performers also but the build quality and autofocus motor are not as good.

If you want a prime lens (fix focal) then I suggest the Sigma 30/1.4 or the Canon 28/2.8.

If you have the money and would like to take it to the next level...

Canon 24-70mm 

Canon 24mm L

Canon 35mm L

Canon 50mm L

Canon 85mm L

The Canon 14mm L is also pretty damn good.

All are L lenses, which means they all start around $1K and up. These are great for video but they also have the best autofocus motor in the business being a Canon L still lens.

If video shooting is your primary goal and you have the money, Zeiss ZE/ZF lenses are the way to go. They are ALL manual  for focus and apeture. The focus barrel is better than the Canon for video shooting especially if you use a focus assist since they have a hard stop. They also do slightly better at reducing Chroma Aberration than Canon L lenses.

If you want to go all out there are the Zeiss Compact Primes (CP) that is meant for DSLRs. These are cine style lenses, meaning they have a longer focus throws, stopless aperture ring and consistent filter size. Optically they are the same as the ZE/ZF. They just have a cine style casing.

But they are very expensive ($4k starting PER lens).

Remember with DSLR video optical aberration is a bigger factor than resolution. Decent DSRL lenses can easily resolve 2K resolution. Visual defects like chroma aberration, vignetting and coma are much more problematic since they are harder to repair in video compared to stills.

I have the 550D also and have

Canon 50mm/1.4

Canon 35mm/1.4 L

Canon 17-55mm/2.8

Canon 28-135mm (mostly for trips and vacations)

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 13 2011 8:35 PM In reply to

Thanks Dom.

Yes I am indeed a casual photographer/videotographer.  I started with Pinnacle Studio 1.2 around 10 years ago and somehow ended up with Media Composer via Pinnacle Studio 7 then Liquid 5 & 7 and my modest little films that may one day turn into a sideline.

As a point and shoot "poor" photographer in the past I bought the 550D to hopefully get better at taking photographs and shoot some 1080p HD stuff too, as you can probably tell I knew little about photography until I got the DSLR and as well as learning MC, so currently my brain is close to bursting point.

Thanks again for the advice and I'll check out all the lenses you mentioned (on the internet!) and make a purchase or two.

Dean

Media Composer 6.5.3 - QT 7.7.4 - Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 (310.90) - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1- 150GB OS - 300GB Data - 2x1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 16 2011 12:11 PM In reply to

• DShulkin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 174
    • Points 2,195

Dean:

Dom gave you a great list/features of the lenses and I echo his comments and advice.  One thing to keep in mind that you are dealing with a sensor (APS-C) size that is cropped 1.6x compared to a full frame sensor (5D).  So this means that the lenses in the EF lineup will give you a field-of-view equivalent to 1.6x the stated focal length.  For example, your 50mm EF lens has a field-of-view equivalent of ~80mm on the APS-C sensor.  Just keep this in mind when thinking about your purchases. 

And since you are playing with both still and video, here is one of my favorite sites for lens reviews in the still world (will give you nice insight as to what to expect on the video side as well). 

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php

Forgot to add my lens lineup (both home and work)

7D

Canon 16-35mm 2.8 L

Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L

Canon 28-135mm 3.5-5.6

Sigma 50mm 2.8 DG Macro (excellent value and great macro)

Manual with Fotodix adapter

Minolta 50mm 1.7

Sigma 24mm 2.8

Sigma Zoom ( a few of them but are less great on the video front)

Good luck!

Nitris DX/MC 6.x-MacPro 8c, 12GB RAM, 6TB of internal RAID 0 storage. Adrenaline MC 5.x - MacPro 8c, 6GB RAM, 6TB of internal RAID 0 storage. EditShare... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 16 2011 3:31 PM In reply to

Thanks DShulkin, I'll check out the lenses you mention too.

Yes, I'm beginning to see that the 550D was maybe an impluse purchase, the price of the 550D dropped, just got to grips with Media Composer and could see my next big home movie production in 1080p and the the realisation I didn't really know what I was going to do.  Yes I've since read about the crop now which makes my 50mm EF (which isn't EF-S either) lens more like 85mm but as I was oblivious to it, it really didn't make a difference to me, it's a new camera, a DSLR and I need to move around alot rather than zoom, so ignorance in this case was useful ;) I knew lenses could be expensive, I didn't really understand the true cost to cover most situations with decent lenses. I very rarely use zoom so prime lenses are ok for the video I want to do at the moment but I can see a wide angle lens (which won't be as wide angle with the crop from my understanding) may be my next purchase.

At the moment I am a true novice DSLR photography and to some extent video wise but even with my cheap prime lens I can take some great looking photographs especially in low light, no doubt somebody into photography would notice many issues with them as I'm sure I may in a year's time but the learning curve of proper photography is quite daunting at first, but it's slowing sinking in.  So far even my tests with video look great and also to be a breeze to edit (so far) but I've not really done anything fancy. I've come from consumer 3CCD camcorder so the shallow depth of field and 1080p quality is something new for me.

So the problem I'm faced with is having a "dirt cheap" camera that can create good HD video with a bit of thought and planning with a cheap prime lens but I can see if I'm not careful I'll be in danger of buying lenses I think I need and your reply along with Dom has given me an insight into the imperfect world of DSLRs, lens and of course not forgetting video.

Dean

• Mon, May 16 2011 3:36 PM In reply to

Multiply every non cropped lens x1.6.

Your 50mm which I own also and I adore for the price is 80mm at yours (ours) 550D.

If you want more pro futures try Magic Lantern firmware.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, May 16 2011 3:54 PM In reply to

sverkalo:

Multiply every non cropped lens x1.6.

Your 50mm which I own also and I adore for the price is 80mm at yours (ours) 550D.

If you want more pro futures try Magic Lantern firmware.

Hi George,

See I'm still learning. What's an extra 5mm hey?? Wink

Yes I was reading about "Magic Latern" - Have you plucked up the courage to install it yet?

Dean

• Tue, May 17 2011 11:38 PM In reply to

I am using it from the firsts drafts.

Now is more stable and you can bypass it by just holding the pic button before you open 550D.

Be sure to read the instructions first.

Read Here.

And here are all the builds.

Here is the very latest version 17 May

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, May 18 2011 6:40 AM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 8 2005
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

If you're on a budget and mostly going to be using it for video I would recommend going the old manual lens route for now. My current collection consist of a 55mm F2 Takumar, 50mm 1.8 Olympus OM, 24mm 2.8 Olympus OM lens. Bought the adapters on amazon for these lenses.. Check out ebay. I would also try and stay away from Canon FD lenses since the adapters have glass in them which degrades the image a little..

And you should install Magic Lantern on it! I dont think I cant live without the manual audio, focus assist and the intervolometer! 

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 18 2011 12:21 PM In reply to

sverkalo:

I am using it from the firsts drafts.

Now is more stable and you can bypass it by just holding the pic button before you open 550D.

Be sure to read the instructions first.

Read Here.

And here are all the builds.

Here is the very latest version 17 May

Thanks for the info George.

jiggyjay:

And you should install Magic Lantern on it! I dont think I cant live without the manual audio, focus assist and the intervolometer! 

Yes I've looked at the focus assist and would appear to be very handy.

I have a couple of questions

From what I've read it sounds like that each SD card you wish to use in the 550D needs to be bootable (prepared) with the ML firmware and autoexec.bin on it. Is that correct? 

Also in addition to the technique George mentioned will ML will be disabled if using a standard SD card?.

Dean

• Wed, May 18 2011 12:26 PM In reply to

It's not easy to remove the boot sector from the camera once installed.

But every card formatted with out the autoexec can't see the ML bootsector and will boot

on the normal Canon firmware. The problem is if you have the other files but not

the autoexec. Then the camera can be damaged (in theory) because it will be searching for the autoexec file.

Desktop PC

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller