Latest post Wed, Jul 27 2011 10:39 AM by Pat Horridge. 37 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 17 2011 7:26 PM In reply to

• eddieb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 52
    • Points 715

Re: Media Composer 5.5, really? Big thumbs down!

luca.mg:
    if You look at it from a newcomer perspective it's not that bad

Luca,

I also try to be openminded about these things. But how can forcing something more complicated than it can be help newcomers? Once the basic learning curve is attained, then more control is always welcome.

I do many, many little effects during the day which are quick and easy, using the advanced keyframes when needed (at work on V4). Those same little effects (when I freelance on V5) are still cumbersome and clumsy. After some more time I'm sure I will learn to love the advanced keyframes - after I'm forced to learn them. We haven't pulled the trigger on V5 at work yet, even though we have a support contract and the upgrade's sitting on my harddrive. It's getting close, though, 'cept this one 'bug-a-boo'.

Ed

2 x MC 8.3 Nitris DX HP Z820 32GB RAM Quadro K4000 340.84 Windows7/64 QT 7.7.7 Unity 5.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:01 PM In reply to

• Bad_Jason
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 16 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 230

Dear Avid,

Alright, I just got wind of what Apple did to Final Cut and now I feel bad for complaining about MC 5.5.

Congratulations, but don't go getting a big head with this great gift Apple bestowed on you.  I do hope you have learned from the sins of your past, your arrogant attitude, your inflated prices, etc... people realize now they have other NLE options, ya know?  Don't eff it up!

Also, it would be appreciated if you'd stop moving buttons around and disrupting the general workflow of users.  It's not productive.  Focus on issues that actually affect us negatively.

Thanks,

me

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:08 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Bad_Jason:

your inflated prices, etc...

Jason, pardon for jumping in here but have you thought about that it might be just because of that Avid needs to earn money that they still are able to create well working editing applications ...

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:11 PM In reply to

• Bad_Jason
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 230

mjolnarn:

Bad_Jason:

Jason, pardon for jumping in here but have you thought about that it might be just because of that Avid needs to earn money that they still are able to create well working editing applications ...

I wholeheartedly agree.  What's your point?

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:25 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Bad_Jason:

mjolnarn:

Bad_Jason:

My simple point is that Apple not might have earned enough money on a pro based FCP and cause of that made a lighter version not aimed to the pros hoping for to earn more money from the non or semi pros.

Media Composer have always been targeting against the pros, Avid have other applications in the basket if you want to do light editing.

Thats the simple reason to the higher price for Media Composer I guess, an application like Avid Studio or Pinnacle Studio is a lot cheaper.

So, as always in the world, you get what you pay for.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:30 PM In reply to

• Bad_Jason
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 230

mjolnarn:

Bad_Jason:

mjolnarn:

Bad_Jason:

My simple point is that Apple not might have earned enough money on a pro based FCP and cause of that made a lighter version not aimed to the pros hoping for to earn more money from the non or semi pros.

Media Composer have always been targeting against the pros, Avid have other applications in the basket if you want to do light editing.

Thats the simple reason to the higher price for Media Composer I guess, an application like Avid Studio or Pinnacle Studio is a lot cheaper.

So, as always in the world, you get what you pay for.

I'm fine with their current prices.  But back when when an Avid system could run you as much as 100 grand, um that crap isn't going to fly anymore.  I don't think we're disagreeing on anyhting, homie.

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:43 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Yes, we seem to have about the same thoughts about this, most of the old price tags was turnkey systems and hardware related I think, those days might most likely not come back again and they have also opened up their systems for other hardware starting with Media Composer 5, they have also officially told that this is going to continue, just to lean back hoping for also the developements to continue I guess.

Tomas 

• Tue, Jul 26 2011 3:38 PM In reply to

• kramedog22
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 18 2009
    • Posts 8
    • Points 90

I just got back from a hiatus and my shop upgraded to MC 5.5.2 on pc. I have not been able to see how to add start and end keyframes? Is there a setting I need to enable to do this?

From looking at this forum I guess I can assume I am stuck w/ these horrible "advanced" keyframes for a while? To me they are simply SLOW.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Feel my blood pressure rising

• Tue, Jul 26 2011 3:51 PM In reply to

Right click on the keyframe menu in the advanced keyframe editor window and there is now an option for start and end keyframes to be added. I have requested that this feature be moved into the effects editor section of your user settings profile so it can be set as a global default instead of manually choosing it for each individual effect.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 26 2011 3:53 PM In reply to

Avid can't win whatever route they take it seems.

Many new users post of the confussion of some many ways of doing things. Simple key frames advanced key frames. With more features coming and more complexity I imagine AVid are trying to simpliy and rationlise some of those issues and that won't suit everyone who's learnt it how it was before.

No win no win.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jul 26 2011 4:06 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Pat Horridge:
    I imagine AVid are trying to simpliy and rationlise some of those issues and that won't suit everyone who's learnt it how it was before.

One major way to simplify things, woulld be a return to "simple" keyframes as an option.

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Tue, Jul 26 2011 4:31 PM In reply to

• kramedog22
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 18 2009
    • Posts 8
    • Points 90

Thanks Larry! It's a start. A global setting would be awsome. Do you know anything about using sapphire effects? A lot of our guys here have pre-built AVX1 fx and it seems like even though we loaded the AVX1 and AVX3 for sapphire we only have advanced keyframes there as well also?

I will try right clicking there as well but boy what a time waster. Thanks again for your help

• Tue, Jul 26 2011 4:38 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

kramedog22:
    boy what a time waster.

Exactly.

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Tue, Jul 26 2011 5:29 PM In reply to

• Bad_Jason
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 230

Yes, the advanced keyframes are still pissing me off on a daily basis.  It's particularly annoying when I'm sitting with an Executive Producer and he asks me to punch in on a shot a little.  I apply a 3D Warp, scale up 5 percent hit the space bar and decide to push in another 5 percent and bring the shot down a little, hit the spacebar again to review the cut and the shot I resized is zooming in and out.   Thanks for making me look like a dumbass in front of my show runner, Avid.  I just don't see how advanced key frames is at all intuitive for anyone.

Also, I still can't figure out why when I lasso a clip in the timeline it sometimes goes into yellow (splice in) mode?  It doesn't seem to be consistent.  Sometimes it will go into red (overwrite) mode as it should, but sometimes it will go into splice in mode.  It's annoyning and adds an extra step to my workflow.  Lassoing a clip should always put you in overwrite mode.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?  

• Tue, Jul 26 2011 5:55 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Bad_Jason:

...Focus on issues that actually affect us negatively...

Hopefully to correct the negative issues, not to create them? [;P]

I agree - sometimes we see changes that defy reason

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 2 of 3 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller